1978 Honda hobbit pa501

Matthew Faucett /

My Honda hobbit pa501 will not go over 15mph, and it only does 15mph without the air filter in , if I put the air filter in it barely runs at all only about 5mph... even if I put the filter in without the filter just the plastic and seal that hole it will not run right.... I’ve bought a brand new muffler, a brand new carb, it’s not those things... I’ve cleaned the tank replaced the petcock , I did put an in line filter in it ... I just can’t seem to solve this problem please help ty.

Re: 1978 Honda hobbit pa501

sounds like its flooding out. is there alot of smoke? is it leaking gas on the ground?did someone drill out the main?

u can test by just starting and then run it w the petcock turned off. does the power pick up for a short time?

always good to clean n set points and a new gapped plug, speed wise the tiny movement of the variator and rear pulkey r important for that last 5mph your missing.

If it's a pa50-l that's normal. It's the speed restricted version.

Matthew Faucett /

No not leaking anywhere , it’s missing 25mph or stalls out completely when the filter hole is sealed, when it’s not then I get too about 15mph. It’s not getting enough air, I’ve measured the gas to oil ratio like a mad scientist, it recommended 50-1 that’s exactly what did.

You bought a new carb, but what is it? A clone Keihin?

Matthew Faucett /

I got it off Amazon it is not factory original, it is a remake, before the factory original one went bad it had this same problem though

Clone could have some random jet in it, is that black rubber thing with the 3 holes in it clear? (Bugs like to make homes in it) is the intake area around the filter tray clear of debris? Choke stuck on? Should release when throttled....

Matthew Faucett /

I cleaned that 3 hole thing out, but your suggestion made me do it again, and it’s running much better , still not going over 15mph but at least it’s hitting 15 mph with the filter in now! Thanks for your help any suggestions for the lack of power?

> Matthew Faucett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I cleaned that 3 hole thing out, but your suggestion made me do it

> again, and it’s running much better , still not going over 15mph but at

> least it’s hitting 15 mph with the filter in now! Thanks for your help

> any suggestions for the lack of power?

You have a pa50i, so 15mph is about what you should expect. If you want to go fast read the wiki about the differences between the pa50i and pa50ii.

It should really see about 20.....is the rear variator fully variating? That could easily be your last 5mph. (edited)

Matthew Faucett /

I am not sure how do I check this?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account