Transmission

Joshua Paulette /

Hi there I have a 1961 Bianchi Orsetto, I know it’s not a moped but you guys and gals here have a lot of information on old stuff. The three speed transmission is operated by the left lever and grip. I know this thanks to your site. My question is how to the cables hook up to the shifting mechanism. I have tried scooter forums with no luck. I also attached a picture. Again thank you

777D8881-DF20-43D3-98AA-467AE7EE2E7D.jpeg

Re: Transmission

todd amundson /

Look at a Aermacchi M-50 shifter diagrams. Also M-65 I think. Very similar

Here is a very crude diagram.

The two shifter cables go into those two ears. You need barrel adjusters, like on the ends of brake levers, screwed into those ears for the cable housing stops.

Those two shifter cable inner wires go into the pivoting shift mechanism. You'll need knarps (cable ends) or maybe a standard brake cable end (that usually goes in the handlebar lever) may fit.

Not sure which cable goes to which side of the handlebar lever. It's a push-pull setup, you'll have to figure that out.

The little lever on the engine goes to the clutch lever on the bars.

Getting it all adjusted is the fun part.

You usually put the trans in neutral, get the cables mostly tight, the fine tune with the adjuster barrels.

moped-army-e6fcb1210d4fcc3fd9697cf48ef9d399~2.jpg

Also, if you go to that link I gave you in your other post, scroll down to "documentazione" and you can download the PDF manuals. In Italian, like I said, but there's pictures that'll help you.

Screenshot_20201010-133911.png
Screenshot_20201010-133532.png

Pushrod Fifty /

Some if not most of those scooters on that site have english manuals and its all the same deal.

Cool! Moped army getting it done!

Pushrod Fifty /

Lucky you for having a swingarm grease fitting. People here on Moped Army are the most mechanic-savy as far as forums go. There used to be tons of Vespa forums when I had my smallframe but now they are dead. I found one vintage Italian site for my Motobi but the most recent post before me was a year before. Forums for old bikes in general are falling fast. Most if them got swooped by a commercial outfit that has an overdone common format with a ton of ads flying at you. The moderators are career assholes that will call you out for not following their strick rules.

Posting on off-topic for an old scoot here may be the way to go.

Dirty30 Dillon /

@OP, just make sure you test the linkage to make sure your pattern isn't reversed.

Also, in terms of forums, they're mostly dying because of Facebook Groups, honestly.

Surprised MA is still as viable.

I like having old scooters and vintage 50cc bikes here on MA.

It all relates. Just because it doesn't have pedals doesn't bother me.

I've been dealing with my Ducati (with pedals!) three speed hand shift, so if I can help with a scooter, I'm all for it.

Plus it breaks up the monotony of "help! I just bought (insert run of the mill moped here) and it won't run!" posts.

Still amazes me sometimes how there's people on this forum that seem to know everything about anything.

> Brandon Love Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Still amazes me sometimes how there's people on this forum that seem to

> know everything about anything.

Maybe they just know how to use Google .

I know it helps me when I don't know how much peanut butter to put on my sandwich . ;)

> Brandon Love Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Still amazes me sometimes how there's people on this forum that seem to

> know everything about anything.

It's true, even if it sounds like you're being sarcastic.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account