Vermont Plate

So I live in P.A., have a Puch 49cc, when I bought it at the dealer he recommended me getting a Vermont plate I never asked why, but I received it a couple of days ago, so I have insurance on it too, but what is the advantage of getting the Vermont plate,since in P.A. a plate isn't required..?

Thanks

20200830_181956.jpg

Re: Vermont Plate

PA requires plates for mopeds.

Re: Vermont Plate

Thanks 👍but why Vermont..? And can I just keep the Vermont one or will I have to transfer it to p.a. eventually?

I'm currently looking online for info.

Thanks

Screenshot_20201010-095555_Samsung Internet.jpg

Re: Vermont Plate

Because Vermont lets you plate a moped without a title even if you don't live in the state. You can leave it plated in Vermont unless you want a transfer it in and get a physical PA title and PA plate. The choice is yours. (edited)

Re: Vermont Plate

Thanks for the info. I deeply appreciate it.

Re: Vermont Plate

With the Vermont deal, I read the wiki and is says you need a bill of sale.

For those that have done it, do you need a real bill of sale, like from the true owner?

Asking because I don't have any of that info and can't get it. I have no idea who owned a California bike thirty years ago and the DMV won't give out that info.

Re: Vermont Plate

I bought my bike from a moped dealer all I had was what is similar to a sales receipt, and that worked..no true title

Re: Vermont Plate

According to the Wiki https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Mail_in_Registration

which was super easy to follow its only two forms - Vd119 - the actual registration application and Vt005 which is their bill of sale - I just completed my mail in registration yesterday and with the help of the wiki its cave man simple - (edited)

Re: Vermont Plate

wohhh what moped shop is thisssss?

Re: Vermont Plate

Why would a Pennsylvania moped dealership not have the proper paperwork to register your moped in Pennsylvania? I would expect something like that from a private party sale but not a dealer. Seems a little sketchy, obviously the place didn’t have the title so maybe it’s stolen or something...

Re: Vermont Plate

ehhhh, maybe not, many mopeds were never titled at all, they are no longer coming from the factory's, so cut them some slack. It would be in their interest to title them, could ask more, but if they pointed out the Vermont thing, bike is prob off the big computer in the sky.

Re: Vermont Plate

> Jeremy Davenport Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why would a Pennsylvania moped dealership not have the proper paperwork

> to register your moped in Pennsylvania? I would expect something like

> that from a private party sale but not a dealer. Seems a little

> sketchy, obviously the place didn’t have the title so maybe it’s stolen

> or something...

I’ve never bought/sold a moped with a title and seen very few. Many didn’t come with them and even more were lost to the years. The majority of first-time owners were teenage kids and 40 years later when the bike got dragged out of a basement the paperwork was long lost.

As for moped dealers - most of them are honest folks fixing up those bikes that were dragged out of basements and selling them to a new crowd of people who are gonna ride them. I don’t think it’s realistic to title every single moped sold, nor should anyone assume they’re stolen or that something sketchy’s going on because there is no title present. They’re mopeds, not cars

Re: Vermont Plate

Hmmmmmm..I see your point but there 100% legit, with lots of old school mopeds..

Screenshot_20201010-095555_Samsung Internet.jpg

Re: Vermont Plate

> LSLB Lou 😤 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jeremy Davenport Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Why would a Pennsylvania moped dealership not have the proper

> paperwork

>

> > to register your moped in Pennsylvania? I would expect something like

>

> > that from a private party sale but not a dealer. Seems a little

>

> > sketchy, obviously the place didn’t have the title so maybe it’s

> stolen

>

> > or something...

>

> I’ve never bought/sold a moped with a title and seen very few. Many

> didn’t come with them and even more were lost to the years. The majority

> of first-time owners were teenage kids and 40 years later when the bike

> got dragged out of a basement the paperwork was long lost.

>

> As for moped dealers - most of them are honest folks fixing up those

> bikes that were dragged out of basements and selling them to a new crowd

> of people who are gonna ride them. I don’t think it’s realistic to title

> every single moped sold, nor should anyone assume they’re stolen or that

> something sketchy’s going on because there is no title present. They’re

> mopeds, not cars

I’m very happy to see mopeds fixed up and put back on the road again, I did that with mine and I applaud this dealer for doing that as well. I just think they should sell their mopeds with proper licensing and not skirt the law and put VT plates on it. It’s actually putting the buyer at risk with police for fines and other issues because after awhile a cop will pull you over if they see you driving around all the time with an out of state plate. I mean I’m for doing that if you want to take the risk but it seems the original poster to this thread was just given a VT plate for his ped and pointed to the door, naive to the reason why. (edited)

Re: Vermont Plate

> Jeremy Davenport Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> it seems the original poster to this thread was just given

> a VT plate for his ped and pointed to the door, naive to the reason why.

OP quote :

"' the dealer .. recommended me getting a Vermont plate"

Re: Vermont Plate

The shop is Valley Vintage Motorworks in Monaca, PA north of Pittsburgh. Haven’t been there yet but dying to check it out. Been a Facebook follower of theirs for awhile but haven’t made the hour trip yet.

https://www.facebook.com/ValleyVintageMotorworks/

Re: Vermont Plate

I just got a letter from the California DMV about my Puch title.

I called before I sent it in, and it was registered already, and was told I'd have to file a lien, claim it was abandoned, and all kinds of other crap.

Sent it in with a note saying I bought it at a garage sale in pieces, and couldn't find the previous owner.

The letter I just got back came with a statement of facts to fill out, my title with "incomplete..." Stamped on it, and said I have to pay an extra 23 bucks for a title transfer, and that's it. They already cashed the first money order.

Guess we don't need the Vermont loophole in California after all.

Re: Vermont Plate

damn. drooling over that shop! i keep pushin my partner to be into moving to pittsburgh. rent is cheap and surrounded by mopeds.

Re: Vermont Plate

The shop is awesome

Monaca, P.A.

Vintage Moped

Re: Vermont Plate

What insurance do you use?

Re: Vermont Plate

State Farm 👍

Re: Vermont Plate

Re: Vermont Plate

Re: Vermont Plate

Steel City - we most likely met at the valley vintage ride a few weeks ago or perhaps on one of the MOPITT community rides, not sure which person you were from your profile. send me a message if you’d like. MOPITT holds a workshop to new riders (when there isn’t a ‘demic) where we break down all the ways to Get your bike legal here in PA. We walk through the myriad of different circumstances you could run into and I can even send you the Vermont paperwork if you end up needing a hand finding it.

While I support the VT process like everyone else does in our city/state and most people here on MA do, I do find it interesting that the shop is recommending the Vermont process rather than doing the work themselves.

Re: Vermont Plate

I've vermonted several bikes, its a convenient way to get a title and to funnel some money into the great state of vermont

Re: Vermont Plate

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've vermonted several bikes, its a convenient way to get a title and to

> funnel some money into the great state of vermont

Speak the truth!

I have done it in Texas a few times on a moped. And, have had friends Do this with many bikes. They just transfer the paper registration to a Texas title at the Tax office.

I have been lazy. So, not all my stuff is plated. Womp womp

Re: Vermont Plate

Jimmy Cincinnati /

So how is Vermont in the year of 2021? I finally have a bike I want to vermont title, but never tried it before. Is it still going ok or have other states tightened down on it? Can anyone from Ohio verify if it actually transfers into an Ohio title?

If your curious Im wanting to title a 1972 Honda CL100K2.

Or if anyone from another state thinks they can get me a title and want to make some money send me a PM.

Re: Vermont Plate

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So how is Vermont in the year of 2021? I finally have a bike I want to

> vermont title, but never tried it before. Is it still going ok or have

> other states tightened down on it? Can anyone from Ohio verify if it

> actually transfers into an Ohio title?

>

> If your curious Im wanting to title a 1972 Honda CL100K2.

>

> Or if anyone from another state thinks they can get me a title and want

> to make some money send me a PM.

I Vermont titled 2 bikes 2 years ago. In October I went and tried to do another one along with 4 other legit out of state titles and the lady gave me a bunch of shit and wouldn't do the Vermont one without a bill of sale. Just found that though so maybe I'll go try again. The first two times I had no issues though.

Re: Vermont Plate

Just did my NX250, no title, vermont got me a plate, took like 5 weeks, but it's plated. I was gonna transfer to OH title which I've dont in the past, but my VT plate is "NX569" and I don't think I can abandon the luck that sent me an "NX---" plate for my NX.

Re: Vermont Plate

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Last year, I "Vermont'd" my '96 Honda Rebel and then a year later, I sold it to a NJ resident. I haven't heard back from the guy, so I'm assuming he was able to title it in NJ with the signed VT transferrable registration.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account