Mysterious Flexer Behavior On A Longer Ride

Hello Everyone

Today I took my first longish loop on my new 2017 Tomos Flexer. It had some weird behavior. About 15 miles in, the engine suddenly bogged and the rear tire temporarily locked up (about 25mph). I pulled over, kickstarted it, and it ran fine. About 50 miles in, when pulling up to a red light, it refused to idle and just died. I kickstarted it, it started instantly, and if I held the revs up at a standstill, all was fine. This happened again at the tail end of the ride, about 58 miles in.

It's bizarre because the bike would start on one kick after dying each time, so it's not like something permanent is going on. The death at stoplights felt like fuel starvation. Any ideas?

Anyway, besides these "break in hiccups," all went relatively well. Bike has about 85 miles on it now. I'm moving ahead with some go-fast goodies as the Flexer actually was unable to climb 3 hills on my loop. I had to get off and walk it up. (I'm 170 pounds for reference.) I'm going to get a 15mm SHA carb with an intake, and am in talks with Treats to recommend either the "People's Pipe" sidebleed or the Estoril sidebleed - both are supposed to be good and relatively quiet from what I've read, so I'll just go with whichever one is going to cause me less grief upon install. A pic of my stock setup is here so you can see mounting. Again, any advice from you moped gurus is appreciated. Thanks!

-MKL

IMG_3027.jpg

Re: Mysterious Flexer Behavior On A Longer Ride

Sounds like you soft seized if the wheel locked up and it died

I believe these have an oil pump, did you put oil in the reservoir?

I thought that too, but it's odd. I was going 25 - not its top speed. Not downhill or really ripping. Just suddenly. It's oil injected. I wonder if that whole deal is iffy.....

-MKL

Yeah oil tank totally full with Castrol synthetic.

> Moshe Levy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah oil tank totally full with Castrol synthetic.

Getting rid of the oil injection and just using premix is what i usually do on a Tomos (when i buy them they usually have thousands of miles on them). But with less than a hundred miles on it i doubt the oil injection is broken yet.

Did you import this one from Europe? The ignition could still be set on 30kmh mode.

Imported from Malta, yes. It does 32 mph (speedo, not GPS.) Any instructions for me to check on the ignition?

-MKL

If you pull the flywheel off and look at the base plate, there is a dot on there. If the dot is pointing at the bottom line (left to it) it is on "30kmh mode" you can loosen the base plate and turn it clockwise to advance timing and that should help performance. Some people say to completely turn it to the top line, some people say that depends on your setup.

Sorry for the kinda crappy description, but describing these things in English isn't my strong suit.

Thanks. Anyone got any opinions on the pipes?

Probably Fred /

Most moped manufactures and cylinder kit manufacturers recommend that you have a break in period of 300 miles/500 km, you didn’t do it so you may have piston ring or cylinder damage because you didn’t do a break in period, Nor do you know what it means I’m sure So lesson learned,

Next bike you get you’ll take it easy, ovoid prolong full throttle pulls, keep the speed low and such for 300 miles like you’re supposed to to keep from damage in to and sort out any issues,

I did a break-in on every single two cycle Moped or motorcycle I ever owned as well as boats, Mazda rotary engine/rebuilt car engines and I’ve never had any problems ever and you’re talking over 250 vehicles, everybody wants to hurry hurry and rush nowadays.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Most moped manufactures and cylinder kit manufacturers recommend that

> you have a break in period of 300 miles/500 km, you didn’t do it so you

> may have piston ring or cylinder damage because you didn’t do a break in

> period, Nor do you know what it means I’m sure

Why are you such a condescending asshole?This dude is a motorcycle journalist for national publications so he knows what a break in period is. It's also not a new bike so stop being a prick

The Flexer's manual calls for break in period of 100km, and I followed it. I wasn't near its top speed when this happened.

-MKL

Get a cylinder head temp gauge

Very important info for air cooled riders

You should pull the head and inspect the bore. If you soft seized you need to find out. If you smeared the Piston you can still save it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account