Mysterious Flexer Behavior On A Longer Ride

Moshe Levy /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hello Everyone

Today I took my first longish loop on my new 2017 Tomos Flexer. It had some weird behavior. About 15 miles in, the engine suddenly bogged and the rear tire temporarily locked up (about 25mph). I pulled over, kickstarted it, and it ran fine. About 50 miles in, when pulling up to a red light, it refused to idle and just died. I kickstarted it, it started instantly, and if I held the revs up at a standstill, all was fine. This happened again at the tail end of the ride, about 58 miles in.

It's bizarre because the bike would start on one kick after dying each time, so it's not like something permanent is going on. The death at stoplights felt like fuel starvation. Any ideas?

Anyway, besides these "break in hiccups," all went relatively well. Bike has about 85 miles on it now. I'm moving ahead with some go-fast goodies as the Flexer actually was unable to climb 3 hills on my loop. I had to get off and walk it up. (I'm 170 pounds for reference.) I'm going to get a 15mm SHA carb with an intake, and am in talks with Treats to recommend either the "People's Pipe" sidebleed or the Estoril sidebleed - both are supposed to be good and relatively quiet from what I've read, so I'll just go with whichever one is going to cause me less grief upon install. A pic of my stock setup is here so you can see mounting. Again, any advice from you moped gurus is appreciated. Thanks!

-MKL

IMG_3027.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account