Would you trade a Magnum for a Derbi?

I have a Puch Magnum Mk2 and there is a Derbi Sl that is available in town. The guy said he would do a trade for a moped, a Magnum only, but that’s kinda rich for my blood, since I don’t know enough about Derbis. I have never ridden one, but I’ve read enough on here to know that a lot of people say Derbis are the shit. I just don’t know if it’s worth my magnum. I’ll post pics of my magnum and the Derbi that’s available. Any feed back would be great.

623C8D58-64B6-4305-9B68-046B8AD94B91.jpeg
971C7A23-E6B8-42D1-9B2A-615D85DF8174.jpeg
D01AF51F-2D45-4A25-9A5E-83407575238E.jpeg

Re: Would you trade a Magnum for a Derbi?

Forgot to add, the guy is asking $1800 for the Derbi.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

i'd do that trade. It's a close race though, the magnum looks like it's in nice shape and there are fewer and fewer nice examples as time goes by, but the derbi is much less common...although being a piston port the sl is a little less desirable compared to a later flatreed model.

I certainly wouldn’t make that trade.

Magnums aren’t rare by moped standards but even so they are “cream of the crop”. Unmolested good condition magnums That are mostly original and intact are getting harder to find.

10 years from now (or a month from now) you’d be kicking yourself for making that trade.

I guess it depends on what your feels are on it. Personally I love my magnum. Custom built myself so it is a part of me. Tough to let it go. But I am a large man and the e50 just hates to get me moving. I have been itching to get a derbi for some time as I like the size better than a hobbit and less french than a moby or pug.

I would however trade my magnum for a derbi Laguna in a heartbeat. As they are both top tanks.

This really stirs the blood the Magnum MK2 is the best moped ever made but you wouldn't know it. I like to dremel the cylinder and make it faster it can go 60mph all day and the suspension is good it is like a motorcycle. I think the Derbi is good but the Puch Magnum MK2 is the best moped ever made. I get so many thirstys on the back of mine it is insane. The wife thinks I am golfing but some times I am and sometimes I am not haha one time I got so tired after my session when I came back home I forgot and left the magnum idiling in the driveway and I ate my dinner and took my nap and came back and the bike was fine. Puch magnum MK2 for the win everytime.

> Roff Junior Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This really stirs the blood the Magnum MK2 is the best moped ever made

> but you wouldn't know it. I like to dremel the cylinder and make it

> faster it can go 60mph all day and the suspension is good it is like a

> motorcycle. I think the Derbi is good but the Puch Magnum MK2 is the

> best moped ever made. I get so many thirstys on the back of mine it is

> insane. The wife thinks I am golfing but some times I am and sometimes I

> am not haha one time I got so tired after my session when I came back

> home I forgot and left the magnum idiling in the driveway and I ate my

> dinner and took my nap and came back and the bike was fine. Puch magnum

> MK2 for the win everytime.

Hey that's a pretty good Roff troll

That derbi has been for sale forever! I sold my minty silver skirt like it for $800 and it had mags and a front and rear rack. Not worth it to trade for your magnum. Perhaps if he gave you $1000 + the derbi variant it might be worth it. But for real that things been on Craigslist for 3-4 years. Also derbis are not that great, I’ve owned them all and unless you know what your doing I’d say your better off with the puch. Also get a flat reed derbi, piston port derbis are the hardest to get to rip out of the three.

Bikes have little or no monetary value for me, so my gut feeling is just buy, wrench and ride whatever you want, but I got to think that's like a 1200 or 1400 magnum in the right market, whereas a piston port variant is like 700-800 max.

Stock survivor top tanks are worth bank these days, stock survivor step thrus are just another Moped.

I wouldn't. Not for that goofy looking giraffe necked moped.

Don’t trade my old mag for that derbi 🙃

I would definitely not do that. Maybe if is was a Revo or a flat Reed....well maybe just a revo.

Good condition magnums are getting harder to come by.

But it is all about what you want. If you really want a PP Derbi and hate the magnum I would do it.

I have your same exact model magnum and I have a Derbi variant flatreed. If it was a flatreed I'd say maybe, but realistically a clean magnum is worth more even though Derbi's are better in my opinion. I wouldn't do it

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'm biased, so I would take the Derbi over Magnum, but the Magnum has more value.

No way. That's like, the worst Derbi.

Bottom tier Derbi vs. top tier puch

It’s really a no brained

I have an sl that I can’t get anyone to buy for $500. I don’t really want to work on it, the previous owner didn’t put oil in the gas and seized the shit out of it. It still runs but holy fuck it’s slow and sounds terrible. I’m not gonna track down a stock top end nor do I want to do the work to fit a kit on there. (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’d sell the Magnum and buy a rear wheel motor AMF. (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> I have your same exact model magnum and I have a Derbi variant flatreed.

> If it was a flatreed I'd say maybe, but realistically a clean magnum is

> worth more even though Derbi's are better in my opinion. I wouldn't do

> it

Yep similar thought here but for a Flat reed Variant Sport it would basically be a tie. They are both are a comfortable ride, Luckily I don’t have to make that decision because what I traded for my Variant sport wasn’t a mag MKII

3249C6F1-3F2B-463A-B0B6-725B0D50C78D.jpeg

RZ Namllow /

Yes.

I would trade the magnum for the derbi if I had the derbi and got the magnum.

Pablo Puchasso /

For someone who is “opening a moped shop”... this a remedial moped question.

> Pablo Puchasso Wrote:

> For someone who is “opening a moped shop”... this a remedial moped

> question.

This dude brags about not wearing a mask what do you expect

I'm not trading my Magnum for that Derbi, As much as I want to experience a Derbi, just not worth my Magnum. Maybe a $1000 for the Derbi is manageable, but not $1800, thanks for all the feedback peeps.

no groms no blasters /

one is made by slaves forced to labor under a clerico-fascist regime's final twilight months

the other is made by the strong-hearted and free descendants of the mighty victors of the battle of vienna

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> one is made by slaves forced to labor under a clerico-fascist regime's

> final twilight months

>

> the other is made by the strong-hearted and free descendants of the

> mighty victors of the battle of vienna

Lol yea Derbi was a company that started making motorcycles and mopeds in fascist Spain, but saying 1970s variants were made with slave labor is a bit of a stretch. I think they were made by a company that was forced to pay high tariffs from most European countries, I would guess probably because Franco was like Hitler. It’s probably the main reason Derbi didn’t use domino controls, Bosch ignitions or cev headlight on most things in the early years. I’m pretty sure the Derbi made for export to the USA were imported without said import tariffs, you know how much our leaders love fascism.

In 1978 Franco was already dead for about three years. The reason they didn't use most standard European parts was probably because the Spanish Peseta was worth nothing and they couldn't afford it.

Battle of the redheaded step children!

ZA50 vs Derbi PP

Pablo Puchasso /

> Edward Koipond Wrote:

> Battle of the redheaded step children!

>

> ZA50 vs Derbi PP

Hah. True

> Edward Koipond Wrote:

> Battle of the redheaded step children!

>

> ZA50 vs Derbi PP

Hell yeah!

Lol I feel that but I only own za50 Puchs now. PP Derbi is a bummer. Still a great moped engine but a lame Derbi engine if that makes sense.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account