Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

Claude Veilleux /

I have both bikes in hand but my LC50 is missing the petcock, I checked on Ebay but I won't pay several hundred USD dollars for a simple petcock, both petcocks have a diaphram with a vacume hose, both petcocks have a "RESERVE" hose entry and an "ON" hose entry, in other words, both have the same number of hoses plugged with the same fonctions, the only difference between the 2 petcocks is that the LC50 one has an "ON , RESERVE, OFF" lever but the FA50 petcock has an "ON, RESERVE, PRIME" lever instead, but I take it as an improvement since the LC50 is hard to start after a few days with it's orginal petcock because the petcock needs the vacuum to push the diaphram to let the gas flow to the carburator but not the FA50 petcock, it has the "PRIME" lever position which lets the gas flow to the carb by gravity at start.

As for mounting the petcock on the bike goes, I'll have to check more closely but both seem to have 2 scews at about the same spot with the same angle to them.

I wanted to know if someone here ever tried using a FA50 petcock on a LC50 before trying this myself.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

Haven't heard or read of anyone doing that swap .

You might post in the Buy/Sell section for a used or if you want new , Here's one for about 50 bucks :

https://www.skrfilmsq.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=599578

I do like the AFV on my Fa50 . I use the prime after it sits for a longer period while we're on the road .

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

Unless you think that vacuum operated petcock helps in some way, why not get an aftermarket petcock that has two inlets and just go with gravity?

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Unless you think that vacuum operated petcock helps in some way, why not

> get an aftermarket petcock that has two inlets and just go with gravity?

Of course an AFV helps .

Obviously , you don't understand the convenience and safety of an automatic fuel valve . ;)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

I have used this on my LC50 and it worked fine. $9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Z3TQ83/

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

todd amundson /

These are all afv’s right? They’re all switches essentially. The diagrams do not pump. No head pressure and only use gravity once out of the tank.

I’ve only used two and they will not pump fuel.

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> These are all afv’s right? They’re all switches essentially. The

> diagrams do not pump. No head pressure and only use gravity once out of

> the tank.

>

> I’ve only used two and they will not pump fuel.

Correct . No pumping involved .

As the name implies , they are a simple vacuum operated VALVE .

Automatic Fuel Valve ( AFV ) . ;)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

Obviously.

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Obviously.

;)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

punkrock randy /

Just use a basic ass petcock and tear ass like i do on my Champ. Not worth buying anything else really. You don’t need to be scared like P D, AFV won’t save you from much.

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

Claude Veilleux /

> Gator San Juan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have used this on my LC50 and it worked fine. $9

>

>

>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Z3TQ83/

Hey, that's exactly what I found on Ebay while shopping 2 days ago, does it mount well on the LC50? could you post a picture of yours?

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

It doesnt mount - i just zip tied it.

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

Claude Veilleux /

Oh, I was thinking of mounting it with 1 bolt at the left direct to the left side of the original petcock hole and a metal extension to mount on the other hole to do a nice clean job.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated, now I know for sure that this part can do the job.

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just use a basic ass petcock and tear ass like i do on my Champ. Not

> worth buying anything else really. You don’t need to be scared like P D,

> AFV won’t save you from much.

Scared ? LOL

That's like saying the sun is dark . It's about convenience . The safe part is a plus . ;)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

punkrock randy /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > punkrock randy Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

> I’m

> > Just use a basic ass petcock and tear ass like i do on my Champ. Not

>

> > worth buying anything else really. You don’t need to be scared like P

> D,

>

> > AFV won’t save you from much.

>

> Scared ? LOL

>

> That's like saying the sun is dark . It's about convenience . The safe

> part is a plus . ;)

If you need the convenience of not turning off fuel, get a rascal, they’re electric. Just insane to pay any amount over $100. Or even near $100. Just another vacuum line, less is more to me🤙🏼

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you need the convenience of not turning off fuel, get a rascal,

> they’re electric. Just insane to pay any amount over $100. Or even near

> $100. Just another vacuum line, less is more to me🤙🏼

That 100 dollar plus is way out of my world . I'm handy enough I could make my own AFV , if need be .

And , an AFV is less , a lot less , stress than losing sleep when you doubt you turned your petcock off before you left on that month long over seas jaunt , or , any number of other instances . ;)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

I would go with manual petcock too, vac ones suck, or worse, they don't. Long as your carb is right it will not matter that you forgot to turn it off, my issue is to remember to turn it on sometimes, as I'm super anal about shutting it off. :)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would go with manual petcock too, vac ones suck, or worse, they don't.

> Long as your carb is right it will not matter that you forgot to turn it

> off, my issue is to remember to turn it on sometimes, as I'm super anal

> about shutting it off. :)

Even more reason to love the AFVs , a lot less embarrassment . LOL

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

The "shame" forces me to pay attention to what I'm doing, need all the help I can get... :)

Re: Anybody ever try using a Suzuki FA50 petcock on a Yamaha LC50??

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The "shame" forces me to pay attention to what I'm doing, need all the

> help I can get... :)

Seems I'm in the same boat . That's exactly why I like things that make other things easier . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account