braking distance on your average moped

Alan Jackson /

ive got my Paloma moped going over 40mph but the brakes dont seem to do a lot

the drums are 80mm and i reckon due to the way the shoes pivot when you pull the lever not much shoe makes contact with the drum

am i best sanding down the high points so that more shoe makes contact?

or does this happen automatically through normal use?

am i best getting them re-lined with something a bit more space age?

and how far should it take me to stop from 30 35 and 40mph?

Re: braking distance on your average moped

Some of the old Hero Majestic manuals had stopping distance in them, but not for 40mph, I don't think.

Brakes on mopeds suck. There are some aftermarket shoes that should fit your drums but the only way to get good stopping is with a disk brake setup. Otherwise ride safe and plan ahead with stops.

An alert and fit rider needs 0.75 of a second thinking time. That means that at 50 mph you’ll travel 15 metres (about 50 feet) before you begin to brake.

The following stopping distance chart shows typical CAR stopping distances. The Highway Code points out that a motorcyclist should increase these distances .

Mopeds have much less braking 'power' than a motorcycle or a car .

Pay attention to the note in the upper right ...

Guess at your own risk . ;)

Sipe the shoes (meaning cut about 5 small grooves diagonally across each shoe.)

Sand the inner surface of the drum to remove the glaze, as well as the shoes.

Get low or compressionless cables instead of your crap rubbery ones. I use jagwire mountain bike housings and stainless bicycle cable inner wires, and no, I never broke one.

Make sure everything is adjusted properly.

Most of my bikes will skid the rear tire, and I can stop just fine with lousy old drums.

About 5.5 blocks to stop

Johnny Braaapp /

This is me, I gotta get some more stopping power.

Bad Cadillac™ /

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sipe the shoes (meaning cut about 5 small grooves diagonally across each

> shoe.)

>

> Sand the inner surface of the drum to remove the glaze, as well as the

> shoes.

>

> Get low or compressionless cables instead of your crap rubbery ones. I

> use jagwire mountain bike housings and stainless bicycle cable inner

> wires, and no, I never broke one.

>

> Make sure everything is adjusted properly.

>

> Most of my bikes will skid the rear tire, and I can stop just fine with

> lousy old drums.

I will have to try the cables you mention.

I already upgraded both my bikes rear pads to the better ones Treats sells with grooves and did not really notice much change.

tomos A55 wheels have large drums that stop well. obviously, the disk brake front ends are hard to beat.

You can find jagwire cables on eBay, straight from the (Chinese) manufacturer for a lot, and I mean a lot, cheaper than a bike shop or someone selling them with all the jagwire branded packaging.

I bought 50' of black housing for like 25 bucks a while back.

It really makes a difference in lever-pull action. Nice and firm, instead of a squishy feel you get from old rubbery cables.

Jagwire makes my Sachs skid the wheels, upgrading my 45 mph Pacer to those this weekend. Even the thick brake cables Treats sells feel squishy. Also use cable lube to get that smooooth action. BAM stoppies!!

Terbo Speghetti /

Make sure you sand evenly if you're gonna mess with those drums. I've seen my fair share of drums that were out-of-round in places due to some overenthusiastic sanding.

Doesn't sound like a huge deal, but any contact you can get between shoe and drum is important.

Best bet is to take them to a brake shop and ask if their brake drum lathe can go that small. If not there, try a machine shop. They'll be more expensive if I had to bet tho

I just sand the rust and the glaze off, I don't go crazy and remove mm's of the metal surface.

I've gone as far as making a flapper wheel I mounted in a drill .

Worked pretty good , but for what we're doing here , a bit of fairly heavy grit emery cloth or sand paper does a great job , with little effort .

Like bairdco says don't go crazy . When you see a scratched up sheen , quit . ;)

Alan Jackson /

thanks chaps!!

punkrock randy /

Use shoes to skid in conjunction with brakes. Should be able to stop by the time you’re down by the river on a Friday night.

Stock moped brakes are pretty awful, especially for a post internet body...lol, but yeah, just clean them up, and know they suck and ride accordingly.

Pushrod Fifty /

Figure you will need at least the time it took to get up to the speed that want to stop from. Take a look at the drum and shoes after you have ran it for awhile. Look for irregular wear, signs of grease contamination. I have had poor braking even after cleaning the drum and replacing the shoes, but after a while the brakes wore in to work better.

Got a link to that cable housing on ebay?

I just bought one of those squishy cables for the front of my 80 Indian from treat and i had to adjust, adjust, adjust the heck out of it and it still not feeling like it should.

> Jen BW Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Got a link to that cable housing on ebay?

Go to ebay and do a simple search : jagwire .

Over 2600 results in a split second . Take your pick . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account