gonna rebuild my tomos for my dad

im gonna rebuild the engine on my old rat tomos A3, so me & my dad can ride together (me on the avanti, him on the tomos) im gonna get the cylinder bored to 38.50mm oversize and get a new piston & rings, and also re surface the transmission case with a HUGE belt sander, because i think its warped or damaged, because the screws are tight and it leaks like hell (the side cover is new, so i know its the engine side thats to blame.

Ree, if you got any tips on fixing this leak without sanding, let me know. would automotive RTV silicone transmission gasket maker work? or would it just make a big f---ing mess?

-Garret

Re: gonna rebuild my tomos for my dad

Reeperette /

>>Ree, if you got any tips on fixing this leak without sanding, let me know. would automotive RTV silicone transmission gasket maker work? or would it just make a big f---ing mess?<<

Big mess.

It takes a paper-type gasket, and that's the only thing you really should use...now, if it's warped a bit ?

I'd sand it lightly by hand, just enough to remove the old, gunked up gasket, and then use 2-3 paper gaskets, which is a lot easier than trying the heavy sander trick.

Don't use any sealant, it'll just make a mess, and might gunk up the trans inside.

You can double or triple those paper gaskets on the A3 Trans if the case is warped a bit, I'd have to do it before, so it will work.

Any more probs, just howl,

-R

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account