E-trike Build

Why not take a dumb trike and throw an electric motor on it? Well, here's my thread at that attempt. This is a 1986/7 Motomarina "Raven" trike. Pryer back end and Minarelli V1-LHE motor on it. It's case inducted with an electric start. But who cares cuz all that stuff is coming out! It will be a 2000 watt / 48v system with a 20ah battery. Let's see how this goes....

IMG_2374.jpeg
IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg

Re: E-trike Build

What're you doing with that rad motor you're taking off?

Probably keep it so when I screw this build up I can put it back on.

I have thought about doing an electric front hub on a trike or tri-ped. Keep the 2-stroke motor, but have the electric for taking off from a stop, hills, carrying a heavy load, maybe limping home in a pinch, but still have the gas to keep range, sound, and character. I am lazy so that hasn't happened.

I have been enjoying seeing more electric builds.

> Declan g Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have thought about doing an electric front hub on a trike or tri-ped.

> I am lazy so

> that hasn't happened.

Yeah me too, it would be awesome for a single speed with tall gearing.

> Declan g Wrote:

> I have thought about doing an electric front hub on a trike or tri-ped.

> Keep the 2-stroke motor, but have the electric for taking off from a

> stop, hills, carrying a heavy load, maybe limping home in a pinch, but

> still have the gas to keep range, sound, and character. I am lazy so

> that hasn't happened.

>

> I have been enjoying seeing more electric bui

That'd make an awesome winter project. The OP ought to seriously consider going this route. I'd follow suit in a hearbeat.

Did a quick search and came up with this URL China no doubt: http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_read/QS%20Motor%20Front%20&%20Rear%20Moped%20Wheel%20Rim%20Assembly%20Set/391.html

At least the rim size I need is available: 1.4 x 17".

Screenshot2020-09-29at3.11.31PM.png

I like Graham's idea of doing a front hub motor (with a thumb throttle) and leaving the motor on. I'm going to explore that option as well. I'd like to stay close to stock 16" so they stance is correct. (edited)

So lace it into a 20" bmx rim. Sounds tight!

I got excited a bit prematurily about converting the front wheel to an electric motor driven hub one. The weight gain from adding all the bits and pieces to make it work will be at least 50 lbs. That's the weight of a typical 6 year old.

> Dmitry K. Wrote:

> I got excited a bit prematurily about converting the front wheel to an

> electric motor driven hub one. The weight gain from adding all the bits

> and pieces to make it work will be at least 50 lbs. That's the weight

> of a typical 6 year old.

It is rarely worth it, all that unsprung mass on the front wheel is going to kill performance on the traditional motor

and I would think the weight of the engine would make the hub motor perform poorly?

I’m not exactly sure where you got those weights from? My rear hub motor with sprockets and such weighs less than 10lbs. Battery also less than 10 lbs (maybe closer to 5) and the controller is ounces. I think a front hub motor set up wouldn’t even total 20lbs. Plus you’re deleting the stock hub so net weight gain is ~15lb?

Maybe if you’re using Lead batteries.

The 500W front hub motor I am considering is 4kg or 8.8lbs. Everything I am seeing says you need to be careful with powerful front hub motors because you will shred your forks and wheels. So lower power might be the ticket just for take offs.

500w isn't going to give you enough torque to do much of anything, especially with a direct drive motor vs a geared electric motor. WillD did a build similar to this if I recall and the electric motor was quickly deemed inefficient in this setup.

You wouldl ikely want a geared motor (Which adds a bit more motor weight) as well as heavily reinforcing the front forks to handle that added torque.

There's a lot that goes into determining the efficiency of electric motors that makes it a bit harder than "slapping it on" in this type of scenario.

2wd ebikes is absolutely a thing though. Run both motors off the same controls and battery, it's pretty incredible, say so long to the Rokon!

youre gonna want more like 1500W for that trike.

Your gonna need 2 battery packs! To much and to fast of a power drain!

> Rob P Wrote:

> Your gonna need 2 battery packs! To much and to fast of a power drain!

I'm not sure if you understand how EV battery packs work, you make the battery pack however you want

2000 watt motor - will have to work on gearing of course.

IMG_2389.jpeg
IMG_2390.jpeg

simple throttle with keyed switch

IMG_2385.jpeg

48V / 45A 2000 watt controller

IMG_2386.jpeg
IMG_2387.jpeg

Three speed switch.

IMG_2388.jpeg
IMG_2391.jpeg

sweet. I recently got another electric motor, like chain drive style, but turns out there aren't any sprockets that fit it anywhere. so that blows. I guess I gotta make some shit. also there's no mounts on it to attach to anything.

With any electric conversions or motor swaps anymore, I always try to make mounts that bolt into the existing mounts, so you can always revert back. Seems like you're taking the same approach, nice

Awesome, seems legit

Where to go shop for the EV conversion kits?

So you're going to power the rear wheel after all based on the pics you posted?

Yes. Rear wheel. The gearing from the motor to geared differential is going to be the trickiest part im sure.

That is a sweet looking motor. Where did you get that from?

That's really too cool a Trike to mess with, were I you I would put all your goodies on something like a workman trike, heavy duty, but still much lighter than a moped/trike set up? Whatever you do will be watching. This looks fun.

I get that. It's just a moped so who cares. I'm not cutting anything or throwing the motor away so I can swap it back if a purist wants to buy it later. Just trying to create something different. :-) (edited)

Straight up Amazon - $219.00

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZCFQ3V/

Oh man. That is some sweet action. Thanks!

That is way less money than I imagined. I suppose the batteries are going to be the spendy part?

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> That is way less money than I imagined. I suppose the batteries are

> going to be the spendy part?

Batteries are by far the most expensive part of a small EV build.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account