Re: Has our hobby become too expensive?

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The other thing that's way up is theft. Used to be able to basically use

> the cheapy front fork lock or bike cable and walk away. Lately I've

> spent more in chains and anchor bolts than some of these bikes

> originally cost.

Yeah theft is crazy high. Some motherfucker just stole my Kryptonite New York Noose out of my saddlebag on my magnum that I had locked up with another chain to another moped when I was out to dinner with my girlfriend

I have never paid less than 1500 for a moped

classic carl jepsen /

I don't think its expensive enough

WANNA BE American Pickers!! 😄

I love that ! I cant count how many weekends

Ive pissed away waiting on no shows.

You want it running. OK.

All lights working.OK

No flats.OK.

Tank clean W filters and hoses.OK.

Its what I do,

WAIT!!!!!!!! My asking price was 650. But

You only have 250 and want me to meet you???

Allota strange people on here.

16165221737382639985291140347414.jpg

The problem with that, is after spending $650, you now have a moped worth $550.

Jesse Nordlander /

They are still out there, plentiful!

this old chestnut

nah, though Im finding myself building more motorcycles cuz they're cheaper to buy messed up and sell for more fixed up.

That said, I have sold several bikes in the past year for well under a grand, and still come out ahead or at least reasonably OK.

I sold a kitted MB5er (ugly but solid) for 500, ran fine n all, if that's too expensive maybe you're right but again i say nah, i pass up more than enough good deals just for lack of time.

Not really what this is about, but I just spent $700 in new riding gear.

One piece, armored, leather suit.

Helmet, gloves, boots.

First time I just went all out and got a head to toe setup.

Jesse Nordlander /

I agree on the deals being out there, we have aquired 15 from scratch since the fall. Some areas are dried up for sure

I have been on this group since the early days, I do feel less and less are being trashed at least. They used to be in yards for free, or trash.

roots to wings /

Anyone who thinks a stock, complete, good condition maxi is worth less than $600 in New England is just a tool. I think it is exciting that there are cheaper prices in some parts of the country and who isn’t in it for the thrill of getting what you know is a good bike for a good deal. Heck I paid $675 for a franken tank maxi and it is the best $675 I ever spent because it is a blast to ride. It seems like there are dyed in the wool hobbyists and moped lifers of all ages who are in it for the tinker and the community. They’re the ones with the knowledge that help the rest of us fix and tune our shit. These guys are awesome but they won’t pay much for mopeds because they don’t have to. Then there’s the reborn riders who had mopeds as kids and got back into it for themselves or their kids who want a moped so bad that they’ll pay more than the purists would for the same bike. These guys want something they can ride the same day. I think these are the folks driving up the market. In only into maxis but if you get one for less than $500 you are stealing it and if you pay more than $700 it better be real special. Anything less than $500 is a unicorn.

I saw a pink, powder-coated, kitted Maxi on FB Marketplace last week in the Pittsburgh area with an asking price of over $3k. Sure, it looked sharp, and I have no clue what the paint job would cost, but I have a decent idea what basic bikes run and how much a rebuild and kit runs. I gotta think the bike was priced OVER double what the average MA member would shell out.

Jesse Nordlander /

We're picking this and 2 others up today, cheap. That will be 18 since fall.

00Q0Q_klK6WV1aoK5z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Aaron Beaudin /

Yah I just payed $400 for just a runner that's a bit rough. But I love it. Prob the best French bike you can get. (edited)

18555.jpeg

I'll divide this thread by people that resell mopeds and those that don't.

Deference to Moped Lars et al who is an exception by promotion.

Using Discretionary income as the guideline, i've spent maybe $1k/year, pennies for the enjoyment i've gotten, compared to other pastimes, like my laptop.

I give bikes away, i do not sell them. i'm not some altruistic nutjob, i base it on the new owner and what it takes to appreciate the special requirements of ownership.

all of us here know that "must own" feeling of certain peds. LTD, TSM? if either of those came up for <$1k (complete and unmolested) most would agree that's a strong "buy".

Tri-Ped Dave is 100% correct, people are pulling projects out because of lockdown, combined with Guv. checks, things are a bit distorted.

could my money be better spent on other things? absolutely. return on investment, total loss.

maybe a better thread would be "how much of my time do i spend on moped related things"

looking for purchases, wrenching, maintenance, riding, interweb activity, other categories? (think of a pie chart, similar to the one of self, family, and work balancing)

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Aaron Beaudin :

what's up with this monitor?

18555.jpeg

Selling prices are differant then asking prices. The true market value is based on actual selling prices. These will always be hashed out by the seller and buyer, and dictated by supply and demand. Do I think the hobby has become to expensive, no.

Do I think people ask outrageous money for bikes that have no were near that value, yes. But this does not run the market, it is rather a side result of greed and people fishing. This will always exist and should not be confused with steady and reasonable value growth dictated by supply and demand, which is a healthy thing. This healthy value growth gives parts suppliers a reason to stay in business, it provides more incentive to restore bikes which keeps them from being abused, trashed and scrapped, saving more bikes in the long run. This preserves mopeds and the history they provide in a more healthy way I think. It also gives mopeds more of a standing among higher tier collectables such as vintage cars and motorcycles which they long deserve in my opinion. (edited)

Jesse Nordlander /

Someone swiped it out from under us for $200, supposedly had some nopeds also, cheaper.

It's all good, we still have 7 of the 15 we acquired since the fall that still arent turn key. Never overpaid more than $475 for an 1800 mile hobbit.

00Q0Q_klK6WV1aoK5z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Every year I go on an inflation calculator website and check what my 1979 Motron Medalist that I paid $543 for would cost adjusted for inflation. The price is slowly creeping up close to $2000.

I've purchased 9 of them in the last 5 years ranging from $75 to $700, and I now know going into it that I'm going to spend $200 - $350 for rebuilds and new parts. And that's because I'm paying someone to rebuild the motor, as I'm comfortable doing everything else. With the exception of a paint job, even my most expensive Motron will cost half of the adjusted price for a stock application.

On a per bike basis, and I know owning 25 mopeds is rather ridiculous, it's still a fairly cheap hobby.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

LOL, I haven't seen any mopeds for sale in Portland, cheap or expensive. I have way too many anyway. So I've switched to chainsaws, 6 so far. I'm always looking for the under $40 McCulloch or Stihl.

There's also the "but there's another one on craigslist for half your price..." Mentality.

The Puch I bought, fixed and sold got new tires, tubes, piston, rings, head, plug, petcock, taillight... Etc. Flushed tank, rewired, etc...

And it was nice and shiny.

So is my $1200 asking price too high compared to the $800 one that "runs, but needs the carb cleaned..."

Doesn't matter. I got my asking price and a satisfied customer. I probably coulda held out for more, but it was uglying up my garage.

> Downhill Harvey (OFMC) Wrote:

> So I've switched to chainsaws, 6 so far. I'm

> always looking for the under $40 McCulloch or Stihl.

Talk about simplicity ... simplest motor with a chain attached . ;)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> P D Wrote:

> Talk about simplicity ... simplest motor with a chain attached . ;)

Yeah,.........tell that to my Power Mac 6. You'd think this damn saw was French, I've been fucking with it for a year, and it still doesn't run right.

> Downhill Harvey (OFMC) Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > Talk about simplicity ... simplest motor with a chain attached . ;)

>

> Yeah,.........tell that to my Power Mac 6. You'd think this damn saw was

> French, I've been fucking with it for a year, and it still doesn't run

> right.

>

> http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=113365&t=1&sid=cfe67f6537b7946e273ad4b15b18088c

Gotta be some trick you're missing . ;)

Do a search on Bring a Trailer. There I've freaked at the sold prices 1980 Honda CBX... $18K!!

I know it's an auction and that runs $$$$$ up, but rich people with nothing else to do. WOW.😮

> Peter v. wrote:

> Do a search on Bring a Trailer. There I've freaked at the sold prices

> 1980 Honda CBX... $18K!!

>

> I know it's an auction and that runs $$$$$ up, but rich people with

> nothing else to do. WOW.😮

Cbx is a pretty rare.

Moped Pro Tip: Never buy a running moped ;) lol

But seriously I bought both of my mopeds cheap because neither were running. I just need to hear that nice ploop ploop ploop when the engine turns over to let me know it at least has compression and isn't locked up. Also I start negotiations at around 1/2 their asking price. Yeah mopeds are the hot thing right now... but that means that parts are rarer and more $$$ too.

Some of its luck but both mopeds I got running after a few simple fixes.

Still way cheaper then the Honda Ruckus / Grom game @_@ Honest²

If mopeds become too popular you can bet your wet ass that Honda and all the other companies will start making them again. When that happens ONLY collectors will buy the old ones.

it's still cheaper than your scooter hobby Larry

> Jason Thompson wrote:

> it's still cheaper than your scooter hobby Larry

I’ve got similar monies in both. Only bike I’ve spent real money on is my lame ass American v-twin.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account