Looking for experts advice! Garelli tune ups?

Patrick Horstmann /

This belonged to my Grandfather and he purchased it new in 1979. I attempted for many years to buy it from him. It was kept under his porch deck and when he finally turned her over, the wheels were flat and buried in a half foot of mud, it was rusted out, the motor was locked up and he had lost the key. It took many attempts and a lot of help from many different people to get the motor broke free and get it running. It runs pretty good at top speed! However, I have been riding Mitch recently and after it warms up it takes longer to shift and longer to reach max mph. Also most recently. when coming to a stop and putting my feet on the ground the bike jerks like it wants to take off. It will do it over and over again while sitting idle. It just keeps surging/jerking. Doesn’t really pull forward but jerks in a forward motion. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks and I can’t wait to get all the kinks worked out!!

E30F8CAA-8B99-411D-BAB4-22E2E2163F7C.jpeg
1F262F9D-7363-4D54-A43F-0B1E49145D96.jpeg

Re: Looking for experts advice! Garelli tune ups?

MopedLar? Help this guy.

Congrats on having a badass moped. Good luck getting it in order.

My guess would be the clutches have started to swell. What kind of fluid did you put in when you changed out the old stuff?

The fluid can only be a non-detergent oil. Sae30 is the stuff you will find most. There are also some little rubber pieces in the clutch that could be deteriorating as well making the shifts harder.

There are some manuals that can be found online for the engine. I dont have the link any more but I do have the manual saved in pdf form if you want I can send it via email. I can use the one in your profile, or PM me a better one.

Post any additional repair questions under the Repair section of the forum, and they will be answered. Have fun, good luck.

Patrick Horstmann /

You can email me at phorstmann@jacksoncounty-il.gov that pdf will be great!! I have not ever taken the clutch apart so I hope it isn’t to hard to work on. I will try the nd 30 weight oil also. Thanks so much for the advice and for the pdf!!!

That not a easy transmission if you take it apart pay attention to the little flaps and springs position of the spacers too if get things wrong there not many parts to fix them

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Don, I’d like to help him out, but that’s a VIP motor and my experience is limited to the 1 speed NOI motor. There’s got to be several folks who have experience with this particular motor.

I do agree that the culprit is probably somewhere in that tranny case. I do not believe the clutch setup is the same as the NOI clutch as suggested in a previous post.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> MopedLar? Help this guy.

Sounds like the clutches are swollen- drain and refill the trans with non-detergent oil. If it still does it, you can remove the clutches and tray sanding them down a little, or replace the rubbers.

As for the speed- Have you checked for air leaks? might be leaning out once it heats up and an air leak gets worse.

yeah, theres those little springs n wedges to look out for, and those rubber nipples r a pain. Draining n refilling is a waste of oil n time, ya gotta take it apart and clean it all out, you'll find bits of rubber that are mashed all over n in the oil passages that lube up your clutch bell, blow those all out n check rubber clutch to bell spacing so that its not swollen.

Emailed the manual.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> Emailed the manual.

Hey Jay, any chance you could send it to me as well? CarsAndThings11@yahoo.com

Would you mind sending me the manual as well. I have the 78 VIP 2-speed. Thank you.

Forgot email.

Toddspivek@gmail .com

Thanks.

For the jerking at stops try setting your idle downs just a tiny bit at a time till the jerks stop and the bike still idles. Find a happy medium. Yes to the swollen clutch but the star shaped rubber block that is the first gear clutch might be unique to the NOI motor and not in the two speed

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Don, I’d like to help him out, but that’s a VIP motor and my experience

> is limited to the 1 speed NOI motor. There’s got to be several folks who

> have experience with this particular motor.

>

> I do agree that the culprit is probably somewhere in that tranny case. I

> do not believe the clutch setup is the same as the NOI clutch as

> suggested in a previous post.

>

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > MopedLar? Help this guy.

The transmission and clutch are the same between NOI and VIP. (edited)

First screenshot is of a noi 2 speed. Second is of a VIP 2 speed. The parts are referenced in different order but they have the same part numbers. The vip shows the output shaft and drive sprocket where as the noi does not.

Screenshot_2020-10-20-17-04-02.png
Screenshot_2020-10-20-17-03-40.png

(edited)

Output shafts are different but clutch parts are the same.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account