suggestion about the general discussion fourm

chuck russo va /

i think we should archive all the post that are older than 6 months, but in the archive be able to search them for things.

cuz i think its kinda stupid to have people bring up old post from 99

like flannal man did with the post about the express, its 3 years old and that post is long dead

no offence to him but why would u make a post in somthing that is 3 years old?

Re: suggestion about the general discussion fourm

flannelman /

ooch that hurt im hurt me realy bad

may be i had some thing more to add hmmm how bout that

Chuck.... I think those people have been checking every day, for the last three years.... I think a huge weight will have been lifted, now that they know where to get a manual.

Working on my sarcasm...my humor isn't up to par lately.

But no, 6 months is too little time. I bump my last stereo post to the top, when people ask... and it could easily go 6 months with me making no mods, and no one asking.

I only do a new FAQ/how to when I build a new system, new bag, etc.

It's better than ever, so i'd love to go 6 months without worrying or modifying it.

I like your idea..... did you see the one where I suggested Simon sell copies of the forum data on CD? That's cool-- imagine the moped info you'd have... online or offline.

Of course, even with compression the Forum may be too huge to actually archive.

flannelman /

oh dude some one else brought it up and i just put my two sence in to it

flannelman /

hey a brandon crocker brought it back that all right another blame missed by the flnnelman

chuck russo va /

ok flannenman, some one else brought up this post and i thought it was you, but its still dumb to bring up a post from 3 years ago

i think posting from old posts is fine. it gives the (new) readers access to the previous information on the subject. it might also keep all posts in one thread about one topic, instead of having to bump back and forth or have to remember about an old post from before. just my suggestion.

I missed that suggestion Wayne - not a bad idea. There would be no problem fitting it on a CD, but I'd have to create some sort of offline search interface or something.

Chuck: You have a good point; one that I've been thinking about lately. We're fast approaching the 50,000 post mark (43,090 as I type this) and I want to do something at that point. For efficiency reasons with the database it's not practical to keep everything on the same forum forever.

One of the main problems is search speed, and the toll that the volume takes on the database. If you do a search for something common like "dirty carb" then it's going to be able to pull up a page worth (10 or so) very quickly. But if it's a less common phrase, or something that isn't in there at all, then it takes forever to check through all 43,000 posts. This ties up the database, which the Moped Army account only has so many concurrent accesses to at any given time. When it fills up it says "too many database connections, try again later". I'm sure some of you regulars have encountered this annoying message from time to time.

My current thought is to create an archive forum that can be browsed and searched (I'll probably integrate the searches so that it's less confusing), but you won't be able to post. Older posts are often not used to start up new discussions anyway, but to get facts and information that people can use to fix problems instead of asking about it.

I'll let you know for sure what I decide later on, but it will definitely be more than 6 months worth kept in the active forum. It will probably be a year and a half - or maybe I'll make it based on number of posts, so it's the last 30,000 posts or something like that.

simon

True. Ideally when someone does a search for a particular topic they can find one or two informative threads about the subject - not a bunch of similar threads that they have to sort through to make sure they aren't missing anything.

simon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account