Sprocket rubber damper

Can that rubber on front sprocket can really help with noise? Is there any difference with rubber and non-rubber sprockets?

Re: Sprocket rubber damper

Any rubber that the chain rides over will help cull vibrations / noise .

A well lubed chain helps a lot , too .

And properly tensioned chain. You want 2" of movement in your chain. No more, no less.

More it gets crazy and wants, and can, fly off.

Less and it can be too tight and snap off.

Either way you are gonna have a tough time.

Probably Fred /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> And properly tensioned chain. You want 2" of movement in your chain.

> No more, no less.

>

> More it gets crazy and wants, and can, fly off.

>

> Less and it can be too tight and snap off.

>

> Either way you are gonna have a tough time.

Ah no, 2 inches is nuts loose for a chain drive moped for most mopeds do not have chain tensioners like a dirtbike and if you’re running small sprockets you got to be very close on the tensioning because of chain will rub on the swing arm,

With 2” inches of slack It would be dragging on the swing arm even with a big sprocket and you would be able to take the chain off by hand,

Here is correct info

969DBDC8-FB5E-4CF4-BB41-AD6A49A5FE2A.jpeg

Don’t forget to sit on bike or have someone who is around same weight sit on bike to check play, there is also tight and loose spots sometimes so you may have to go with the tightest If the chain is more tight than more loose, One little tight spot don’t worry about it unless it gets super tight

Oh mr fancy with the repair manual. I was wrong. But the too much and too little reasons are still valid. I was just a bit off on my travel. I guess I havent measured the movement on my moped chains, but it is what I used on my single speed bicycles and it seemed similar enough as rule of thumb. But thank you for giving tha actually correct answer mr roffman.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account