Is frame reinforcement a thing?

The One And Only /

While browsin around lookin for info on my Honda Express, I recall seeing a weight limit operator only of about 180 lbs. Hate to admit, I weigh a tad bit more than 180 lol. Aside from pushing the motor harder for top speed, but will the excess weight have any structural effect on the frame itself? Would I need to reinforce the frame\forks?

Re: Is frame reinforcement a thing?

It is a thing, but if you just street ride, you should be fine, I weigh between 200-215 and my Express holds me ok, no jumps though! ;) Make sure frame is not compromised by rust and you should be cool?

weight limit is def a problem on vintage bikes that were made to support 90lbs soaking wet people of the 50's, 60's, 70's. rear shock upgrades will help, truing wheels all the time is a pain when someone heavy rides your stuff. ive had too many supposed friends ride my bikes sending me home with tweaked wheels to true. had a guy test ride a bike i had for sale. sat on it with stand down, and bent stand, bent the rims, tire bottomed out on the fixed rear fender shredding the wiring to the tail light, taking chunks out of new tires. all from a little test ride. all he said as he walked away from my now busted the hell up moped was, "this bike has no power". it was a noob mistake on my part, never to happen again. not an easy subject to talk about with sensitive obese people. im not a carnival weight guesser, but if someone looks to me to exceeding the weight limit they dont ride my bikes, and i suggest that they just look away. i fluctuate 170-180 an try, and maintain that weight so as to not to destroy my little toys, and even that weight is the limit on a lot of these toys. i would sell it, and buy something suitable for heavier rider, and even then ya may have to upgrade suspension.

Depends on frame condition, what type of frame, of you mean reinforcing areas.

Or do you mean a center brace for step-thrus? That is a thing that won't hurt.

> Jax Rhapsody Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Depends on frame condition, what type of frame, of you mean reinforcing

> areas.

>

> Or do you mean a center brace for step-thrus? That is a thing that won't

> hurt.

That is definitely reinforcement .

And , completes the triangle . ;)

Upper stress bar and you are good to go (unless you are trying to jump that bike)

Unless the frame is rusted or some weird junky off brand, it's not usually the frame that's the problem, the rear shocks take a beating, the cup and cone bearings on a lot of mopeds are a weak link, as are the spokes and rim. Some mopeds fitted heaver 10 or 11 ga spokes, but some of them are 12ga.

The express have a really weak rear shock and the rear wheel is also kinda marginal. Not sure what to make of the single side swingarm.

It's got a lot to do with how you ride as well, I've ridden with some people that don't pay attention and just hit everything, potholes, etc. If you are watching the road and can avoid the major bumps or ride in a relatively smooth area you should be fine.

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jax Rhapsody Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Depends on frame condition, what type of frame, of you mean

> reinforcing

>

> > areas.

>

> >

>

> > Or do you mean a center brace for step-thrus? That is a thing that

> won't

>

> > hurt.

>

> That is definitely reinforcement .

>

> And , completes the triangle . ;)

Yep. Gonna try and do it to my ssxl. I don't think the tank is a viable structure by itself. If anything a sense of security for my 245lb self.

it is and isn't. It does matter but it's almost never the weakest link

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account