New York resident and Vermont registration - insurance?

Hoping to get some insight from any of you guys that are in New York riding around with Vermont plates.

I've registered and plated a couple of mopeds as Class B in NY (under 30MPH, motorcycle license not required, insurance required) without issue, but I hit a snag recently trying to register a Hero Majestic Panther.

Like the wiki says, NY DMV has a special list of "limited use vehicles", and if your bikes not on it then no registration for you. Well, the Panther isn't on it, so whatever I'll mail in for a Vermont registration, right?

I mention this to my friend, who advises me to "watch out for issues with your insurance company, because the state of your registration has to match the state of your policy". I confirmed with my insurance agent that this is the case. Huh.

So what exactly does that mean - if I'm rolling around with VT plates in NY do I just not insure it? Or do I still need to have the insurance to appease NY cops in the event I'm pulled over, even if if it's not technically "covered"? (edited)

Re: New York resident and Vermont registration - insurance?

you can get insurance. your laws follow your state ID, not registration. so Vermont reg is legit but you gotta follow NY rules for licensing helmets and insurance if you're a NY resident w/ NY driverslicense. your insurance company should still insure it tho, I had no problem insuring my vt registered bikes with OH insurance, maybe you can get VT insurance as tho it's a VT bike? I don't expect it should matter to them as long's theyre paid

Dirty30 Dillon /

First off:

NYC has a Limited Use Vehicle reciprocity law. You are legal to ride an moped in NYC as long as you meet the registration, titling, and insurance laws of your LICENSING STATE.

Fact. So, if you've got a VT license, follow the VT rules for reg/ins.

If you have an NYS license, your vehicle, no matter where it's registered should meet the req's for the vehicle in the state, to avoid serious issue. AKA, plates/reg and insurance

As far as insurance, they don't care where the vehicle is registered when you pay them for insurance, only where it will used.

I have my XL175 regged in CT and my Cagiva in NYC, through the same company. I just had to physically get on the phone with them to explain and they were happy to setup sister accounts under the same customer (me).

Jessie Paull /

Thanks for the insight, guys. Sounds like I should be okay with what I had planned on doing (VT reg and NY insurance) - just good to get a little validation that I'm not doing something totally wrong hah

Dirty30 Dillon /

Just remember: in NYC even regged and plated mopeds get ticketed on the regular. Police are ignorant of lmb/c law so be prepared to make your case if you get stopped

Jessie Paull /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just remember: in NYC even regged and plated mopeds get ticketed on the

> regular. Police are ignorant of lmb/c law so be prepared to make your

> case if you get stopped

I'm actually in Upstate NY.

I'm a bit paranoid about getting stopped because all my peds are registered Class B and I guess technically I should be riding in the shoulder most of the time, but I haven't had any issues yet and have rode past plenty of cops.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you're upstate, your worries are much less. Have the reg and insurance. If they ask, you're regged in VT until you can transfer over to NY

Jessie Paull /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> If you're upstate, your worries are much less. Have the reg and

> insurance. If they ask, you're regged in VT until you can transfer over

> to NY

Cool beans - thanks for the tips

I did get a vehicle impounded despite reciprocity here in cleveland, because I didn't have proper OH registration. The law said I didn't need it, courts sided with me and dismissed it, because well, that's the law, but the officers at the time had decided that they knew the law, and that my bike should be impounded anyway. Long story short, despite the case dismissed and reciprocity being legal, the police still managed to extort almost 400 bucks from me by holding my bike hostage at the impound yard, regardless of it's legality.

moral: just beware, cops can be total shit. questionable legality, even when legal, is enough for them to give you a big ol paprika covered pineapple up your asshole.

As a new york resident technically you aren't supposed to have out of state plates for more than 3 months. So basically you would have to tell the cops whenever pulled over that a couple months ago you rode your moped out of state to connecticut or new jersey or something. Yes some cops are smart enough to question you to make sure that your not just keeping an out of state vehicle in your hometown.

> Jessie Paull Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Just remember: in NYC even regged and plated mopeds get ticketed on

> the

>

> > regular. Police are ignorant of lmb/c law so be prepared to make your

>

> > case if you get stopped

>

> I'm actually in Upstate NY.

>

> I'm a bit paranoid about getting stopped because all my peds are

> registered Class B and I guess technically I should be riding in the

> shoulder most of the time, but I haven't had any issues yet and have

> rode past plenty of cops.

Cool, same town as me.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Check this out....I have a NJ drivers license, VA liability insurance and a VT registration/plate on my ā€˜96 Honda Rebel. If I end up bringIng my Rebel to my new house in VA, Iā€™m gonna have to at least convert the VT registration to a VA title/registration. Iā€™m not sure I can even do this as long as I have a NJ drivers license.

Jessie Paull /

> kenny s Wrote:

> As a new york resident technically you aren't supposed to have out of

> state plates for more than 3 months. So basically you would have to tell

> the cops whenever pulled over that a couple months ago you rode your

> moped out of state to connecticut or new jersey or something. Yes some

> cops are smart enough to question you to make sure that your not just

> keeping an out of state vehicle in your hometown.

Maybe I'm missing something - why tell them you rode out of state (what's the loophole)?

Jessie Paull /

> Red Foreman Wrote:

> > Jessie Paull Wrote:

>

>

> > > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Just remember: in NYC even regged and plated mopeds get ticketed on

>

> > the

>

> >

>

> > > regular. Police are ignorant of lmb/c law so be prepared to make

> your

>

> >

>

> > > case if you get stopped

>

> >

>

> > I'm actually in Upstate NY.

>

> >

>

> > I'm a bit paranoid about getting stopped because all my peds are

>

> > registered Class B and I guess technically I should be riding in the

>

> > shoulder most of the time, but I haven't had any issues yet and have

>

> > rode past plenty of cops.

>

> Cool, same town as me.

Heyo! You don't see many mopeds around here! If I see a Batavus cruise by I'll be sure to wave šŸ¤™

What exactly did you miss Jessie. New york State law is posted below. It says you need your vehicle registered in new york within 90 days. Other loopholes include filing income tax out of state or sending your kids to school out of state.

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term 'resident.' The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NY State with the intent to make NY State a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NY State for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NY State. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NY State without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NY State.

> Jessie Paull Wrote:

> > kenny s Wrote:

>

>

> > As a new york resident technically you aren't supposed to have out of

>

> > state plates for more than 3 months. So basically you would have to

> tell

>

> > the cops whenever pulled over that a couple months ago you rode your

>

> > moped out of state to connecticut or new jersey or something. Yes some

>

> > cops are smart enough to question you to make sure that your not just

>

> > keeping an out of state vehicle in your hometown.

>

> Maybe I'm missing something - why tell them you rode out of state

> (what's the loophole)?

I don't have time to confirm this but allegedly if you are already a new york resident you have 30 days to change your vehicle registrations to new york registrations.

« Go to Topics ā€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account