Going tubeless on puch wheels without tubeless tires

I just installed some tubeless valve stems on some snowflake mags and got some

Shinko knobbies to bead up no problem with a compressor. They are holding air.

I realize that the bead is likely a wire Bead on these shinkos, which can stretch. (As opposed to a folding or carbon fiber bead that comes with tubeless tires.). The seal seems solid... the Schrader valve stems accommodate holes 7.5-8.5mm and the holes on the snowflakes measure maybe 8.4 but still seems good. I also have some Stans spoke bed Tape to convert some spokes rims too. I’ve had success as a bicycle mechanic doing this stuff, even going “ghetto tubeless” on bikes before tubeless systems were widely available.

So, before I put in tire sealant and go run these things at 50 mph plus, my question is has anyone ever tried this before? Is it safe?

If it works I am

Going to convert all my bikes. $16 for the Schrader valve stems.

Re: Going tubeless on puch wheels without tubeless tires

FWIW I looked into this on my old BMW. The airhead forums said that the alloy wheels might have a slow leak. Like really slow. And you could try to seal it to make it better.

If you don’t mind checking tire pressure (which we should all do before going 50) and maaaaaybe adding air a little more often than usually necessary.

Some moped tire beads hold on tight. Others pop right off. I might be a little more worried with the flimsy ones.

I look at these things and chicken out because crashing is never worth the convenience of a shady mod. But I was looking at a 500+lbs bike. A moped with a flat is not so dramatic.

So, yeah, that’s my only contribution.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A moped with a flat is not so dramatic.

True but a moped going 50 with a tire that unseats from the bead is pretty dramatic. I'm not saying that's likely to happen but who knows. I wouldn't run tubed rims with tubeless tires personally.

Yesterday i put a new pipe in my race bike and took it for a test run down the street not thinking about it sitting for at least six months and how much air loss occurs over that time, especially when I only run 20 psi at the track.

Rear tire ripped the valve stem off, deflated, but didn't come off the rim.

Was doing about 40. Luckily in a straight line. Feet down, Flintstones stop, using the front brake only.

So yeah, flats on a fast moped are no fun, and coulda been a serious crash, especially in my shorts and no helmet test run. I gotta remember to put my helmet on. And fill up my tires once in a while...

There ya have it. Not as dramatic as a big bike yet sketchy enough to make a butthole pucker.

Good to hear you’re alright Bairdco.

I’ve had gazelles and whatever it is called now. They are stiff enough to almost hold up flat. I’m still too chicken to try it, but I bet they would be good candidates for running tubeless.

Once I got good at not popping inner tubes, the desire for tubeless faded away.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

i had a tube popping problem the other day that ended up being that two spokes were too loose and causing a ridge to cut the tube even through the tube-guard strip or whatever its called

It would only happen after some time had passed, but luckily the marks were easy to understand (only damage was on the rim side, never on the outside)

so yeah theres a lot of stuff that fucks tubes up, but they mostly work good

I'm interested to see if this is safe. I have many mags on Sebrings that I would love to run tubeless.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I don't understand why people want to run tubeless over tubes, on a wheel and tire that was designed to run tubes.

They aren't that hard to work with and they last forever.

I just pulled the original tube out of my '65 lambretta and I 100% could have kept using it.

I probably wouldn't run a tire without safety beads tubeless. I've seen non-tubeless bicycle tires blow out when people tried to mount them without tubes and it's a mess.

Those hutchison GP1s are tubeless tires, I'd consider it on that. You could also try bicycle tubeless tire sealant if they have slow leaks.

Here's a good read .

It also talks about tire design , tubeless and tube type .

Definitely worth the read .

https://bestrestproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Tube-Tires-VS-Tubeless-Tires.pdf

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> Those hutchison GP1s are tubeless tires, I'd consider it on that.

No wonder they are so damn hard to get on the rims!

Probably Fred /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> > Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Those hutchison GP1s are tubeless tires, I'd consider it on that.

>

> No wonder they are so damn hard to get on the rims!

I don’t know with the ZIP tie method and basking in the sun for an hour or two in I put them on with my hands

> P D Wrote:

> Here's a good read .

>

> It also talks about tire design , tubeless and tube type .

>

> Definitely worth the read .

>

> https://bestrestproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Tube-Tires-VS-Tubeless-Tires.pdf

Thanks, PD! I have gone thru about a third of it (very well written), but getting back to the mower now.

Sam Simonds /

Thanks PD for the link. Cheeky and informative. I’m glad I read it because some of the tubeless principles for motorcycles run counterintuitive to some of the reasons for going tubeless on bicycles. Neither the tires nor the rims I am considering have safety beads. Seems like it would work but I am torn on whether or not to try this on a running moped. I would not like the tire to fall into the rim while riding. I might as well keep dealing with the extra step of tubes for safety’s sake. I’m building multiple bikes so I was hoping to take that step out but it’s not that big of a deal.

Interestingly, the wider style puch leuleu spoked rims have a slight bump above the spoke bed to provide a slight safety hump for the bead.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account