Tri-ped Microcar Megathread

Alright I got my second tri-ped and I've realized how little information there really is on these. Having to piece it together from hearsay on the internet sort of a pain and not that accurate. Also there's not already a Megathread for tripeds for some reason and there should be.

Anyways here's my new tri-ped, it's pretty close to original and I think it has all of the options available on tri-peds. Removable doors, soft vinyl top, side and under windshield covers. I was given the original sales brochure from Key Motors in York PA where I assume this came from originally. My VIN is 0627, what is the lowest known VIN? I feel like the VIN's started at 0500 or 0600 but the only way to know for sure is if someone has one lower than that.

And when did they switch the styles between tri-peds, my white one has a different frame than my new yellow one.

IMG_20200808_172533.jpg
IMG_20200621_125813.jpg

Re: Tri-ped Microcar Megathread

Some of the style like my white one came with tops that were really a poor design and only mounted in the front, some had full covers that mounted in the rear too. The only ones I've seen with the front mount only top were this random black one I found online and my white one.

17537777_7.jpg
17537778_8.jpg

So much goodness! Good grab!

Chefhockey can help you...he is all over these

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, wait till Dave gets in here and pops your brain.

I've always wanted to get one and make it fast, I mean come on, it has a fucking Minarelli on it.

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

I'm happy you picked this up, that thing looked complete. My vin is stamped 0481, so I know they started before 500.

There were multiple frame types, as best as I have been able to piece together: The first generation (white frame) did the single mount front only canopy, the first revision (red frame, maybe yellow?) to that modified the canopy to mount on the rear as well and redesigned the steering column. Second generation (red and yellow frame) removed the front steel plate at the head tube, built-out the front of the frame at the sides to incorporate the plastic front fairing and revised the floor for the passenger and engine mount. This is when the doors became an option. The first revision to that modified the rear to have a more boxed out fender design. Third generation (yellow frame) changed the motor mount to accommodate the Tomos A3 to replace the Minarelli V1; although, this could also have been changed with the boxed out rear fender design. There is another revision that had an electric motor as well. I'm sure The Chefhockey (Triped Dave) may have additional info...

There was a show in New York or Chicago that featured these American Triped Microcars along with other accomplishments of the designer Stuart Pivar, not too long ago...within the last two years I believe.

The picture you've included is from a parks and recreation department that bought these for their fleet of park maintenance vehicles...what a great summer job that would have been!

Please post up the sales brochure...we really should start a wiki on this and record the VIN #'s, much like the Puch limited wiki.

It's great that you have two (Gen1.0, and Gen2.0) as you can really see the major frame redesign...that white one needs a lot of work, it would be easier to hot rod with no butt hurt from the purists...HA!

Enjoy!

Great grab Nick!

Good to know! The sales brochure is attached as a PDF in my original post, it's a relatively high quality scan so you can actually read it. If I posted a picture you wouldn't be able to make out the words.

I'm trading the white one to a friend who's gonna resto mod it, I think he wants to make it a woody

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

What a great ad! Don’t know how I missed it, thanks for the heads up and the share...

A woody MC would be rad!

Dave right now reading this thread:

RipeEnormousKillerwhale-size_restricted.gif

I sold one to Charlie Buzzard and i remember it was in the 400's

I am harboring a secret crush for these microcars. Seriously. I love that bench seat.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

So when are you gonna sell / trade me the beater one?

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So when are you gonna sell / trade me the beater one?

Elliott Hagans of the Zeros has it now, he's gonna be doing some rad shit to it

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Darn it Nick!

Oh fun!

Yeah the performance stuff on these doesn't pan out so good, maybe a a35 would be better? Or the variated v1lhks kinda deal?

We won the micro car at the smog rally from 2018 I believe. Ours was number 422, came from roburrito with title, and had a V1. Switched it to a a35 and kept the gearing. Ha. Its very fun.

Glad you made this thread. Info would help more than that generic gokart parts fit.

So as of now I think it's reasonable to assume the VIN's started in the 0400's unless somebody has one with a lower VIN. It was (maybe still is?) super common for obscure/experimental gun manufacturers to start their serial numbers at strange intervals, like 700 or 1300 or something in order to make it seem like they made a lot when in fact they might have only made 125 of them before going out of business. I think it'd make sense for the tri-ped VIN's to be the same way.

My white one (that is now Elliott's) definitely doesn't have a VIN on it so the story I was told about it belonging to the neighbor of Pivar and being one of the first ones kinda checks out.

Here's an old auction listing for one, did you guys know that there are only 10 of these bikes left? lol

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2014-shannons-melbourne-autumn-classic-auction/PC83OFAWB071597/

I'm starting a Microcar roll call thread. I'm sure most Microcars are on MA.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account