What could substitute gas for a moped in an emergency?

Or if there was a nationwide disruption in our gas supply say in a zombie apocalypse, would there be a substitute we could use to keep our mopeds going?

Re: What could substitute gas for a moped in an emergency?

The pedals.

This cool guy from India managed to make his bike run on water... shit was crazy.

....heads from a moonshine run

True-fuel

Probably Fred /

White gas, Tractor fuel/kerosene

Assuming you had an assortment of jets handy you could use kerosene. I’ve made them run on kerosene before. But hypothetically speaking if there was a disruption in our gasoline distribution you’d be pressed to find anything. You might want to consider long term storage of gasoline and additives that allow you to store it for long periods of time. Luckily a moped uses very little fuel so storing 15-20 gallons of fuel will do you much better than someone with a Chevy pickup.

Great tips Benji and everyone

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

E85 if jetted, I did it. I would guess any ethanol

Probably Fred /

> Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> E85 if jetted, I did it. I would guess any ethanol

I don’t like high content alcohol gas with 2stroke oil

I used to be super interested in biofuels and making sustainable supply for myself.

I read the books. Studies which crops produce the highest yields in my part of the world.

Alcohol takes a lot of effort to make and it’s not very efficient compared to a Diesel engine. You have to make alcohol to produce biodiesel and to drink because in a world where you have to make your own gas, your gonna need to get yourself drunk too.

A modified diesel vehicle that can run straight vegetable oil is the best setup. For ease of use. In cars, they seem to burn dirty and crud stuff up. Ruining the engine. On a moped (converted to a Diesel engine),you could pull it apart and clean it out to prevent damage from “coking”.

If you lived in oil palm and sugar cane growing zoned you would be all set. In the majority of the US, I would think corn would be good for oil and ethanol.

All that said, I figure the work to make the moped run is way harder than just riding a bike

I really got into Dean Kamen’s Engineering later on. He makes some interesting stuff with Sterling Engines. They aren’t just novelty engines. They can power stuff. You could burn anything flammable to create heat for it to run. My dream is to someday build a sterling engine motorcycle that doesn’t suck.

On this topic, don’t forget to google the old Wood gas generator.

As far as just pour it in and go, like said above, you could probably mix pure ethanol and kerosene in a proportion that gets you going without too much trouble. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

If gas was outlawed/extinct, I would just walk. Mopeds are great but I ain't trying to refine my own oils.

Ride a pony, ya jabroni

If there was a zombie apocalypse, or any other apocalypse, you could just siphon tanks of abandoned cars. Add another tank to your bike and get 3-400 miles without stopping.

And make sure your bike can outrun and out manuever zombies. And you better have a good clutch or a bike with good take off speed. If you stop, a zombie could pretty much just walk up behind you and eat your brain before you got back up to speed on most bikes.

I’d prefer to not survive what ever tumultuous events that lead up to the apocalypse. All the preppers, “I got beans and water for 3 years”. Cool, good to know that you will live 3 years longer down in a hole than everyone else. What then? Contingency for it being truly the end? If it is a wasteland out there, then there is no chance people will be better. I think movies like mad max and the road nailed the future, humans are able and willing to committing atrocities just to save their own worthless asses for another day.

no groms no blasters /

what will substitute for gas?

fertile land, draft animals, and enough armed and organized people to both work the land with you and to keep the other armed and organized bands from taking the land and draft animals away from you and your friends (or making you slaves on what was your land)

no groms no blasters /

otoh it's probable more fun to be charlemagne than a farmer

In the event of an apocalypse, the last thing I'm going to be worried about is a moped.... You do know with the possible exception of at trump rallies, zombies are not real, right? Best survival vehicle is a bicycle, if you must go mechanized something like a yz-250. so you can gtfo quick, but any engine noise will just attract people to you, something you sure don't want.

i'm not seeing this emergency, but my plan would be to die. I mean if it's bad, and 95% of the population is wiped out, I got like a 1/20 chance that i'd even have to care

I've used ATF before when there was no 2t oil, it didn't seize but it's not a good idea.

probably better off with an efficient 4 stroke than a loud unreliable inefficient 2 stroke requiring oil.

i'm inspired tho, im gonna see how long I can run some bikes on straight ethanol

The One And Only /

No love for propane engines?

Go back a century and convert to steam. Plenty of water layin around to use, except the irradiated kind. Prolly wouldnt be cool blowin radiated steam all over the place.

I considered converting my samurai to propane

I ran a push lawn mower on propane once. Just an experiment.

Used a torch valve and vinyl tube fed into the filter box. Just cracked the valve open and pulled it. Adjusted the valve for mace rpm and mowed.

Propane has NO power. I’m sure you could raise compression or do some other stuff since it runs cool. But it would turn a 2HP engine into a 1/2HP and I don’t know how much of that you’d get back with modification.

I’m talking out my ass a bit here. But it does have a lower power density. Less push for the same volume.

Do they still make those solar race cars? The ones that look like smashed soapbox derby cars.

The One And Only /

Yeah propane has minimal power, but runs forever if tuned properly, and with less emissions if I remember properly.

^ Yep, burns very clean.

Tweaker trash /

A high proof alcohol would work but moister would be a problem. Maybe find away to remove unwanted water. The alcohol is going to destroy everything! The alcohol with oxide the aluminum over nighT , make the gas lines stiff, ruin anything rubber or plastic, absorb water, and will separate from the two stroke oil

yea on my car I was looking at it from an engine replacement, there's some folks sellin rebuilt engines or bolt on propane setups to replace the stock carb. the rebuilt ones make pretty nuts power cuz theyre all tuned for it, but even on the simple carb replacements it's a pretty popular option just cuz you can get more fuel in more easily. they're pretty low power inefficient motors, but the propane seems very popular especiall w the rail buggy and crawler crowd. low weight and angle independent too

I once started a 350 Small block Chevelle in 1986 with 6 Oz's of 151 rum!! But if it doesn't have it's oil injection working wouldn't matter what substitute for petrol you have! ;) (edited)

I once used white spirit and atf in a Maxi, it did start but after a few meters it seized.

Ah, to be young again.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I used to be super interested in biofuels and making sustainable supply

> for myself.

>

> I read the books. Studies which crops produce the highest yields in my

> part of the world.

>

> Alcohol takes a lot of effort to make and it’s not very efficient

> compared to a Diesel engine. You have to make alcohol to produce

> biodiesel and to drink because in a world where you have to make your

> own gas, your gonna need to get yourself drunk too.

>

> A modified diesel vehicle that can run straight vegetable oil is the

> best setup. For ease of use. In cars, they seem to burn dirty and crud

> stuff up. Ruining the engine. On a moped (converted to a Diesel

> engine),you could pull it apart and clean it out to prevent damage from

> “coking”.

>

> If you lived in oil palm and sugar cane growing zoned you would be all

> set. In the majority of the US, I would think corn would be good for oil

> and ethanol.

>

> All that said, I figure the work to make the moped run is way harder

> than just riding a bike

>

> I really got into Dean Kamen’s Engineering later on. He makes some

> interesting stuff with Sterling Engines. They aren’t just novelty

> engines. They can power stuff. You could burn anything flammable to

> create heat for it to run. My dream is to someday build a sterling

> engine motorcycle that doesn’t suck.

>

> On this topic, don’t forget to google the old Wood gas generator.

>

> As far as just pour it in and go, like said above, you could probably

> mix pure ethanol and kerosene in a proportion that gets you going

> without too much trouble.

Straight veggie oil will fuck up a diesel, too. Especially in the cold.

I rode in a propane-fueled taxi in the Philippines, practically had to push it up hills.

Just keep a barrel of gas and a few gallons of 2-stroke oil around. You have any idea how many miles a TRUE moped gets per 55 gal drum? LOL!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account