How to mount Puch Proma pipe onto free spirit

Rowan Vannier /

Any tips for mounting the Puch Proma pipe onto a free spirit?

The bolt through the cylinder does not reach the mounting point on the pipe. How should I go about mounting it?

How should I mount the end of the pipe onto the frame without bending the pipe up or down?

Thanks lads

pipefitment1.jpg
pipefitment2.jpg
rearpipefitment.jpg

Re: How to mount Puch Proma pipe onto free spirit

Dont worry about the front one. Make sure your pipe is properly attached to the cyl exhaust port. Then create whatever mounting bracket you may need to make the rear mount attach to the frame mounting spot. It looks like the rear is lining up pretty good, you will just need a spacer to go between the pipe bracket and frame bracket so it is not pulling the pipe when you tighten the bolt down.

All easy peasy stuff.

I never mount the front tab. It requires a bracket to be fabricated on the front of the frame and dropped down to the pipe bracket. Or somehow an extra long cylinder stud to end up not going thru the hole on that tab. If you get it to go thru that hole you would actually need the stud to be threaded all the way to the head so you can spin a nut down. I, for the life of me, have no idea how it could be tightened down though. But then you would sandwich the pipe tab between two nits on the long stud.

Pablo Puchasso /

Get one of THESE to use as a head nut behind the mounting bracket. Find correct length m6 bolt to add for mounting. Supa solid mounting fun times bro. no joke.

You can get away with the Jay's no front mount method... no knocking it but honestly for $2 in hardware you can make a good mount in the front. (edited)

Rowan Vannier /

What is Jay's no front mount method?

I'm Jay... but that kreidler spacer jeff put up should do the trick if you get the slightly longer cyl stud. The stud in there would not give you enough thread to work with and could end up braking off. If you had another inch of thread you would be golden though.

And moto's McMaster's nut is the same you would just need a bolt or second stud to hold the pipe to your new nut. (edited)

I've always hacksawed the front mount off without issue. I don't know of anyone who runs them

up shits creek /

i just made my own rear bracket.

I used one of my old fender brackets. It needs to be shortend but it does the job very well I even used the same hardware that was holding the fender on to because I figured the lock washers would help

20200730_173005.jpg

Probably Fred /

Here’s a few pipe mounting tips since very few aftermarket pipes fits perfect right out of the box:

One bolt not gonna keep that bracket from moving/pivoting down on the frame, You need 2 bolts

But you could eliminate that bracket all together possibly by using a spacer something like a old crank pin with two washers on each side and put a bolt through it right to the stock mounting point on the frame,

I try to get the pipe closer to the frame as long as I have enough clearance from the silencer to the axle nut to get a wrench in, the pipe bends easy by hand, you wouldn’t need to bend it very much.

You can also Dremel/notch mount holes in the header flange just a little bit, to be able to move/pivot the pipe on cylinder studs closer to frame mount too,

Even 1/2mm makes a big difference you can almost bolt directly to the mounting point Or only use something like one nut or a few washers in between the pipe and the mounting on frame

If you use the front mount that attaches to the cylinders stud you may have to notch Esthat or bend that a bit too if needed.

0EEA6F24-98DA-4CDB-830C-6E3CDFEC6007.jpeg

I also prep exhaust pipes by dremeling inside header flange a bit to open up/bevel to match the cylinder port and or smooth the transition where they welded the flange to header pipe when made,

Many times it’s not smooth, not centered or there’s a remove blob of weld in the way that needs to be removed

You don't need a longer stud, use the space holder as the head nut and the rear mount just use a nut and bolt. I've been doing that way for a few years with no problem.

Rowan Vannier /

When you removed the fender bracket, did the rear fender become loose?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account