tried some alcohol

Michael /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Just got back from the garage. I couldnt get the alcohol to mix very well with the oil..about half of the oil was on the bottom of the beaker..so i mixed 100ml ethyl alcohol, 200ml gasoline, and 8ml oil and put it in the tank. Took a tiny bit more effort than normal to start it, but it did start. I noticed that it idled a lot faster than it did with pure gasoline. I took it off the stand and rode it around the neighborhood for a few blocks. Not a huge difference, but i think it did accellerate a bit faster but reached the same top end (though i could just be thinking this because the air hitting my face was very very cold). It most certainly did not run worse though. I held down the choke about halfway the entire time. I definately will need a larger jet if i plan on using alcohol more often. I checked the plug, and it was a nice coffee brown. Tomarrow i'm going to bring some oil to my chemistry teacher and me and him are going to mess around with methanol/ethanol oil solubility and see if we cant get more to dissolve (i havent tried methanol yet..) I'll let everyone know how it all comes out.. this is definately turning out to be an interesting experiment..

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  tried some alcoholTopic by: Michael Michael 11/15/00 01:38AM
  RE: tried some alcoholRe: DaveB DaveB 11/15/00 11:56AM
  RE: tried some alcoholRe: Michael Michael 11/15/00 09:26PM
  alcohol / oil solubilityRe: Michael Michael 11/16/00 05:07PM
  RE: alcohol / oil solubilityRe: Jim C Jim C 11/16/00 10:47PM
  RE: alcohol / oil solubilityRe: Daniel Daniel 11/17/00 11:29AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account