Santa Cruz Mopeders

Hey, I noticed that there's 21 people when I do a directory search for Santa Cruz, CA here. Anyone active in this area? Want to go riding some time? Maybe we can get a branch going... Let me know.

Re: Santa Cruz Mopeders

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

over the hill in san jose are several gangs: mopedheads, mob-head? (i'm sure thats wrong) and like 12 of us in Cupertino. Mopedhead and others ride to santa cruz often.

What trails do you take to go over the hill that are moped-friendly?? I'm especially curious to know because I work in Mountain View every day and have always wanted to ride from Santa Cruz to there.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

They ride highway 9. I've ridden up from Saratoga village to 35 with no issues on a tomos. We've had puch e50s do it, and even a demm smily

What speed do they average? Do you just keep to the right and let cars pass beside?

I used to take hwy9 to work all the time by car and have yet to see someone with a moped there.. Some gnarly twisties and hills out there! I'd love to ride my Hobbit through it.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Uh, I was doing like 15 on the worst parts. It is a tough ride.

Ok, just wanted to make sure that you guys don't have some special super-kitted mopeds for mountain riding that I wouldn't be able to keep up with.. My Hobbit can do at least 15 up steep hills, tops out about 35 on flats, and 40+ down hills..

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

yea stock bikes.

careful though, one of the SJ guys blew his crank out a few weeks ago on his kitted astro puch. We did it non-kitted. My current bike would handle the hills with ease.

Ouch, that sucks! I don't know where I'd get a crank for my Hobbit if I blew that... I think it would be able to handle it though.. I take it up to UC campus all the time though a highway 9 ride would be like that but at least 20 times longer...

My Vespa Ciao and Suzuki Shuttle need work before they could in theory handle this trip, but that's for another thread ;)

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I'm sure a fa50 could do it with ease.

I'm having weird issues with mine.. Had the cylinder bored/honed to first oversize, ports expanded, and head milled down. Before the engine seized I was able to pull almost 30mph out of it. After this build I can only get it to go about 25mph tops and I was hoping the build would give me more top-end rather than just extra torque.

What's weird is it seemed to be running rich straight-out after the build with stock carb jetting. It responded negatively to any up-jetting and actually worked better when I kept the stock jetting and replaced the airbox with a high-flow air filter.

I think this is probably a different topic that belongs in a different section of the forums.. Hopefully there are some FA50 tuners out there.

Maitland Of the Loin /

dude!

finally someone else around here!!

call me sometime, lets ride!

eight three one, three three two, zero nine seven one

my names maitland

Go up Zayante Road or Soquel-San Jose Road to Summit Road. Once on Summit you have to go north to Hwy 9 unless you want to take Bear Creek Road or Black Road down to the bottom of the hill to Hwy 17. Once on 17 you would have to ride the shoulder down to Los Gatos.

Lots of hills in the hills. A two speeder or a variated unit would be best.

Maitland Of the Loin /

i wouldnt even ride the 17 on a motorcycle. fuck doing that on a moped.

a hobbit with a pipe would be fine going through 9. Even without one i doubt youd have to pedal much if at all

hey i live in santa cruz too, i just bought a 1979 motobecane moped and was looking for someone in santa cruz who works on them to get a tune up and maybe a few upgrades. do you know anybody who works on them down here?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account