I hate oil injection

Today i was riding along on my mo-ped when all of a sudden it gave off a hell of a shudder and slowed down like i had the brakes locked up. Turns out the only thing locked up is my engine >:-( The oil injection system had clogged up so the enigne wasnt geting any lube. Seeings how im a teen that mo-ped was my only way to work and around town. I dont know what im going to do now. Im so frikkin mad. If anyone has parts for a 89 Trac Olympic please e-mail me. I can hone the cyclender but i still need a new piston, rings, and the little berring that goes betwen the connection pin and the piston.

Thanks

Trac man.....

Re: I hate oil injection

what was it clogged with? filter inline plugged up?

that sucks. only one of my 5 mopeds has been pre-mix.... never had those problems.

The two I'm running now are injection.... They are using up oil, so I'm okay.

Was your machine running like a charm before it died? I would think that the pure gas was burning great.

I've brought this up before, and the 'experts' haven't commented much.... you've seen those new engine treatments.... duralube and stuff..... I know you couldn't run automotive oil as 2-cycle... but you could give the parts a good long soak in a duralube oil-bath. They also sell "Dextron Duralube" or duralube transmission additive...some mopeds run dextron..... just a thought.

maybe I'm a sucker.....but I saw the infomercial... they were running engines on no oil and filled with sand...... that cannot be a bad thing.

Personal experience: We had a car that sounded SO bad, like a gnome with a hammer was under our hood. We added duralube treatment, and a SEVERE case of banging stopped. The car died 6 months later when the brakes died, but the engine kept running perfectly.

This noise in our car was so bad..... people would stare...waiting for a rod to shoot up through our hood... I swear the noise stopped 1 day after adding the duralube....and got quieter from the start.

There HAS to be a way to make that kind of technology work for a moped.

david f martin /

I think the main difference between 2strokes and 4strokes is that the latter have an oil pan and oil in the crankcase, always splashing around. You don't have that in a 2stroke engine. The crankcase is empty, part of the intake cycle, and the only oil that gets to it is the oil that gets vaporized with the fuel mixture. That's why 2strokes have needle bearings, and 4strokes have solid bearings.

Kinda like the difference between the ocean and the desert.

I'll betcha those 4strokers treated with Duralube with no oil didn't last much longer than the time it took to shoot the commercial.

On an aircooled VW engine, the oil is not only the lubricant, but also part of the cooling system. I definitely wouldn't try that stunt with an old VW. At least your car has a separate cooling system (water).

At lots of VW shows, they have an engine blow (they blow up a VW engine, usually already worn out, with no oil, shrouded in chickenwire to protect the onlookers). I saw one engine run for 6 hours straight with no oil, and it finally ran out of gas... No Duralube there, either.

david

wow, tough little buggers, aren't they?

david f martin /

That one was, for sure. Usually they blow up within a few minutes without oil.

david

My own experience with a VW was that the engine blows by itself at about 75,000 miles, even with good oil in it...Ken D

david f martin /

Depends on the driver, and how well the engine was built. A careful driver on a well built engine can usually get 150K or better out of it. VW made rather cheap engines, not very well balanced.

A good engine rebuilder can make a superior engine fairly easily, much better balanced, cooled and lubricated. As much engineering as went into the original engine, the aftermarket has provided many more improvements over the past 40 years or so.

Of course, there are lots of aftermarket parts that are inferior to the origional VW design, too...

I've blown a few engines myself, with much less than 75K on them.

david

try www.themopedjunkyard.com for parts

me and a friend rebuilt the engine in his '78 vanagon, new rings, cdi, decarboned the heads, installed splitfire spark plugs, and SYNTHETIC oil, the thing is STILL running BETTER than when it was new (according to his dad who was its 1st owner), he was like "whatd you kids do to this thing!? it flies!" he originally thought we were just gonna mess around with it, since it had been sitting awhile (although the gas tank was clean), we went to the local foreign auto place (luckily they love old VWs!) and got what we needed, around dinner time my friends dad sees the van going down the driveway & is like "what the hell?!". that thing was as easy to rebuild as a 4cylinder motorcycle, i want a bug now!

-Garret

david f martin /

If you understand a moped engine and can work on it, VW engines are a breeze... You just need some bigger tools and a few more cuss words.

david

chuck russo va /

i am looking for a 1968-1972 bug so i can make a baja out of it. i love them they are so much fun in the mud, my friend has a 72' baja with 31's on it, its pretty slow but really fun to drive

My Honda Express (love the old thing) has an oil injector. Havent had a problem with not enough oil, instead I have to much. The oil seeps into the engine when its not running due to the fact that the oil tank is up quite a bit higher. That and the fact that the injector is worn out. When I first started the thing 3 years ago, it made a nice oily patch on the grass after a few minutes of running in one place.

I think I have the same problem with my Tomos Targa LX. The oil tank is under the seat and the oil runs down a tube to the injector (apparently it's gravity-fed). I have a lot of spent oil in the muffler pipe and sometimes oil drips from the pipe onto my garage floor. A guy at Red Line told me that my engine must be running too rich (but he probably doesn't know much about mopeds). Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the injector so that the muffler pipe stays clean? Or is this something I even want to mess with? (I don't want to seize the engine the way Trac Man did--better to have oil leaking out the pipe).

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account