4 speed manual Yamaha Chappy LB80

Marty Setinc /

Stumbled across a complete, good condition, 4 speed manual Chappy, and I know nothing more about them than what I've been able to cull from the interwebs over the last week. Regardless of value, I am likely going to buy it for the pure fun factor and to teach my youngest the way. Just want to make sure I don't let my heart get the best of my checkbook. Seat is worn and headlight mounts are bent a little from what appears to be getting a marker light snagged on something. I know it's not a moped, but you all seem to be a great resource on the topic. Can anyone help me with the value of this model?

chappy.jpg

Re: 4 speed manual Yamaha Chappy LB80

1978 model ...

Here's NADA :

Excellent

$1,690

Very Good

$1,245

Good

$745

Fair

$375

Poor

N/A

And KBB :

Fair to good condition $595 .

All those prices depend on where you are located and a host of other variables .

Dirty30 Dillon /

Because of the rarity, 800-1000. But due to displacement and manual trans, you're in small vintage moto territory which can drive up the prices a bit furtheer than that.

Marty Setinc /

Thanks for the info!!

That is a motorcycle in most states, so license and insurance required, that said it's an awesome bike, I agree with Dillon, $800-$1,000, for that money it had better run and have the title.

Marty Setinc /

Nice! Thanks Stephen. All correct here in MT, will need to be licensed and such, and I have an endorsement, so g2g. Runs great and has a clear title. The seller and I are hung up at $1200. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated!

Jack Rutherford /

There’s one in Missouri for $750. That leaves $450 to ship to Montana.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

It honestly looks pretty clean. if you get a clean title and it's ready to ride (runs good, all lights work) then I see $1200 dollars worth of fun then. these bikes use to bring half that 5 years ago but lately the prices have skyrocketed for these. I fear if you pass this over a couple hundred the one you get for $1000 might need cash sunk into it to get it to the condition.

my advice, tell him it needs new tires (which it does) and the seat cover needs replaced. offer him $1100 and haggle. if he won't budge off $1200 I would still buy it.

prices are up, $1200 for a good running, titled, more desirable (larger cc and manual) sounds right to me.

I'd do $1,200 for that titled and running, not many around, and the 50cc ones are very slow, but more plentiful.

Marty Setinc /

Thanks slipknot. Everything is in order and I rode it around for 15 minutes or so with no issues. Mechanically it’s sound, with the only caveat being a bad speedo gear or cable (spins at speed) and the issues you mentioned. I have a 72 suburban and I think the chappy would make a killer pit bike at car shows and such. Pretty sure I’m a player at $1200 after hearing from you all. Thanks much for all the info and advice.

Buy it. That’s very clean and will be great fun, 1200 isn’t bad but I’d def try to get some more haggling done. Some Chappys came with pedals so you’ll be OK here. 😉

Try to go €1100 on it, but if you are prepared to go the €1200 route, try a coin flip. Let him choose his side for €1200 and your side is €1100, it's amazing how often this works, people love a gamble even though you would pay the higher price anyway.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

If you get it, engine parts can be a little hard to find. I have a nice cylinder with a NOS piston and rings that would be smart to keep on the shelf if you plan to keep it for a while. If parts are hard to find now, they will only become more scarce. I will give it to you for a very good price, like $70 plus actual shipping. It should fit in a Priority flat rate medium.

^ This is an awesome offer, I would take him up on it.

Jack Rutherford /
7693FB46-229B-4F15-868B-36342322222B.png

This was for sale in Missouri. Don’t know if still for sale.

Marty Setinc /

Thanks for the offer! I am going to look the Chappy over again today and double check the electrical system. If we make the deal, I’ll get in touch!!

I'd try to get it down to at least a 1000, that seat is ruined.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'd try to get it down to at least a 1000, that seat is ruined.

You're being hyperbolic.

The cover was repaired with Gaff tape, and new covers are like $25. I wouldn't consider a torn seat to be worth cutting the price of the bike ~18%.

You can't get new covers for 25$ here and reupholstering will cost at least 100$.

Chappy's are also only worth 600/800 in that condition here and I don't really like the way they ride.

Getting it as cheap as possible is always the best way to go, and pointing out something like a ripped seat is the easiest way to get some bucks of the price.

Marty Setinc /

UPDATE!!!

Made the deal and brought her home a couple weeks ago. Several cases of Brakeleen, a whole lot of internet knowledge sharing (from fine folks like yourselves), an almost obsessive amount of shop time, and her she is!! Turns out it was a single-owner, 100% original (down to the air in the OG Nitto tubes), 1569 original mile, LB80IIHC. As you can see, I've added a few things, but have kept all the original parts. Used the stock intake boot to fit a pod filter inside the housing without the front of the box, MLM pipe, jetted to 95 right now, and there may be room for a tad more. It sounds like a pissed off chainsaw, will pull the front tire pretty easily and i've GPS'd it at 50mph +. What a damn riot!! Thank you all for the help!!

PS: chefhockey, I'll reach out to you for those parts if the offer still stands?

chappy2.jpg

Looking good!

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Glad your happy! It was worth the little extra! Keep us posted

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account