1980 Honda Express spark problem

Jason Majernik /

I’ve searched the threads and all other sources for a few weeks and have tried everything, but I can’t get spark on my Express. Here’s what I’ve done:

Set the points (correctly, I believe). They were stuck together when I got it, they have been filed, cleaned and set at 0.014”. I can see them open and close when spinning the flywheel.

Changed the spark plug (used a new NGK BPR4HS-it works in another identical Express I own).

Cut back the plug wire and refitted the plug boot.

Changed the battery, although I don’t think it affects the ignition coil.

Tested the coil and condenser, and they all tested ok.

Tested the plug wire. It tested ok.

Did the bulb test as in the manual. The interesting part of this was that the bulb never goes off or dims, whether the points are open or closed. Not sure what to make of this. I’m using a 12v bulb in the test. I don’t know if this matters.

I’ve actually gotten spark for a very brief period twice in about 50 tries.

My points are the version that open and close with the cam. There is one screw that you tighten after adjusting them.

I have been turning the key and run Switch to on with all of these tests, but my bulb test light still comes on, regardless of the key/switch being on or off during all of these tests.

On my points, there are actually 2 wires coming off the points. One black and one black/white. I assume the black goes to ground. The wires coming out of the engine from under the carburetor Are white, yellow and black/white. I cannot see the yellow behind the stator, nor can I see the white wire or where it is connected.

I’d really appreciate any thoughts or advice and I apologize if this has been addressed before. I’m a noob with small engines and this is my first post. I can add pictures (I think).

Re: 1980 Honda Express spark problem

Jason Majernik /

Points open

0E87048A-8A15-4486-B5B1-38B96E8D2804.jpeg
DDEF7C55-E71B-42B6-BDE3-9F69C2496AF0.jpeg

Jason Majernik /

Points closed in bottom photo

Jason Majernik /

Light test

Hopefully this link works for the light test video.

Possible short , somewhere .

Jason Majernik /

I apologize for posting this in the general forum. Moved to the repair forum.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account