Tomos engine rattle

roy jongejan /

Okay so I have this weird engine rattle that only occurs when the engine is hot, and nearing top speed or closing the throttle slightly to maintain speed.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be? I'm guessing possible engime knock myself.

Setup: 15.15 SHA with a 66 jet, short intake manifold, 65cc airsal kit, machined down 65cc cylinder head for higher compression (185 psi compression), and a basic but wide exhaust to match the cylinder.

It does a nice 35mph with my weight on it and rides smoothly, apart from this dang rattle!

IMG-20200517-WA0001.jpeg

Re: Tomos engine rattle

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Diagnosing a noise without hearing it is basically impossible, but I have never met a Tomos that doesn't make noises.

roy jongejan /

alright i can make a video, but not sure on how to share it

> roy jongejan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> alright i can make a video, but not sure on how to share it

Host the video on YouTube . Then post the link here , using the little black movie tape icon above the reply box .

roy jongejan /

here it is

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Sounds like pinging to me. Are you running a head gasket?

roy jongejan /

2 actually, might have been a little too ambitious on the lathe, like I stated the head has been machined down to achieve a compression of 185 psi/ 13 bar, not sure if this is too much or not

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Yeah dude that's really high

roy jongejan /

I see.. well time for a new head then i guess, what would be a good /normal/ compression?

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

It may not necessarily be too high but it's pretty high. What's your squish look like?

You can try to retard your timing a bit to compensate but since you freely admit to maybe going to far with the lathe I'm going to lean that way too. You won't be able to lower your compression with base gaskets without messing with your port timing. Check your squish and the thickness of your head gaskets. If they're the thinner .2mm type maybe you can stack two thicker ones.

Stock crank?

roy jongejan /

nah I put a TopRacing crankshaft in there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account