Any Advantage AC to DC Conversion for Tomos?

Dave Thacker /

In messing with some A35 Targa tail lights, I discovered they are AC and not DC. Thinking of converting system to DC so I can add a capacitor to the system. It might take a few seconds after start to charge but then you'd be rid of the blinking lights at idle. Where will this all go wrong?

Re: Any Advantage AC to DC Conversion for Tomos?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Turn your idle up.

A.c.? It shows as 12v dc on my meters. You use the regulator?

Dave Thacker /

Yea, it's stock and I couldn't get a reading unless I was on AC. Did I screw something up? I notice on Myrons it shows "AC Regulator" in the drawing also. Kid had it and the wires were plugged into the wrong positions on tail light. Grrrrrrr. But I've been thinking of using a cap to get psudo battery performance from lights.

Re: Any Advantage AC to DC Convershttps://myronsmion for Tomos?

Dave Thacker /

♣Slew Foot♣ /

All I got is a battery tester...

It works out to 12v 25w use bulb values. Or update the wiring to a newer TOMOS. IdonT see a problem I always use hand signals.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, mopeds put out AC from the stator. You can full/half wave rectify to DC to run a cap in line, doesn't require too much work to make it work right.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

When you rectify you need to multiply your voltage by 1.414 as that is what the DC output is going to be

Which means you're going to go over 14v so you def need a regulator as well

Dirty30 Dillon /

Maitland knows ^^^

Not trying to hijack your thread but I am also in the process of figuring out wiring for my 84 tomos bullet. So If I am understanding this correctly in order to install something like LED head or tail lights on a 6v points electrical system you need to wire in a rectifier, small battery, then a regulator in order to properly have your LED's running? or am I mixing up the order a bit here?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

You don't need the battery, but yes.

Overpriced Parts /

There is no advantage ever put it back to stock and enjoy years of trouble free service

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You don't need the battery, but yes.

I have read that the battery helps with lights maintaining their brightness when idling at night

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

A capacitor works too. You just need to be able to provide the required current of your bulbs at idle. A lot easier to do with LEDs and DC

> Mario Marin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You don't need the battery, but yes.

>

> I have read that the battery helps with lights maintaining their

> brightness when idling at night

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You can just buy a led 1157 bulb. Same socket 8 bayinette. It has all that.

Althogh a usb battery system aside to jump a car if you need a back up. The neg in the a.c. rectifier box shoots any excess voltage through there.so make sure the grounds are away from it it will blow bulbs.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account