Wonky subframe?

6D7749D9-5400-4C9A-9B5A-AB4EFBE48313.jpeg

Okay , I’m stymied. I was about to clean up the Grande subframe and weld in the Cheetah patch. But I feel better getting opinions on how bad of shape it’s in. I have no idea why that lip was rolled over. And it seems a little twisted, but I figured it would straighten out once it got bolted in. Also in 3rd pic the screw wasn’t cut used to hold the washer I guess .

I understand it’ll be oughta sight in the end. But I want it looking decent , welded up, and painted. So what do you all think ? Keep going or get a replacement?

69831AD3-EB76-4717-AAC9-45EBA9F3D1B5.jpeg
347CE845-DB22-443E-B620-95B796E6A7FD.jpeg

Re: Wonky subframe?

I guess for me it would depend on how much you could get a nice one for? It would be piece of mind to know its straight and minty but I tend to try and fix broken shit.

I'm not saying I want to be rid of it. I'm just looking for for some feedback on the welding job that was done. I'd hate to tack weld the Treats support only to find I'm not able to use the subframe. I can only put up 3 pics and was hoping these were good shots.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Honestly, the weld is fine. Not sure what the goal was, maybe they had a hairline crack where the pedal arms cut through and couldn't keep a bushing in there.

That slight bend is on a lot of subframes, but the DEEP bend is from someone ham-fisting the subframe apart to get the engine out. You can bend it back but it won't be perfect.

Is there a reason why you're putting the support on this bike? I've had plenty of vespa subs that were just fine with molded kitted setups. It's a lot of work to do for something that's preventative of a slow, easy to spot failure.

That shaft hole repair is solid but it doesn't like a lot of thought went into it as far as to how well its going to support the plastic bushing. The original metal hole has a gentle flange swedged in it so that the plastic bushing and then metal shaft have a nice smooth bet to support vigorous pedaling.

That hole looks too sharp and will cut through the bushing in no time leaving you with a metal on metal double wonk.

Go shopping before you wast the 45.00 you spent on the subframe plate,

Those plates wont let you down BTW

That's what I couldn't see! Ok Cheetahchrome. I'm going to dry fit the motor and pedal crank. You think maybe I could build it up with a metal shim inside a new bushing?

Sure would be fine. As long as the plastic bushing had nice suport so it won't get cut or smoosh out with the weight of pedaling. If I had any subs left I would send you one for shipping but alas I have been greedy and sold them all for profit.

No problem. That! Shoulda been the first problem addressed.

BTW, Bravo subframe work in a Grande frame?

^ disregard. I forgot .shocks & foot pegs mismatch.. doik!

Ok. Rule no.1 make sure you’ve got all parts. Cheetah, the weld is spot on. I found the bushing but no spacers and washers. ( rule 1) So I believe the PO maybe wanted to make sure the set up was good, (Which it is),before moving forward, pulled the lip down, mothballed the project, and then I came along. I pull the pedal crank out to line up the shaft and sprockets , perfect. Rolled The shaft to make sure it was true.So know I’m off to Buy & Sell to find the needed parts. All advice greatly appreciated!

3CBCBA47-1EF0-4A45-9A1A-28758F8C8559.jpeg
DF4A23C7-E88D-470B-BF22-47BA20BCABFC.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

You can 100% run a bravo sub on a grande with just tiny adjustments.

Thanks Dirty. But I figured out , I think, what went on with this one. If I need, Mc Master-Carr may have spacers and bushings I need. Whenever I clean this up, I will post a pic.

Spilts welded, cleaned,painted, ready to finish wiring. Sprocket sets well , no wobble, lined right.

C5BB53AF-66B9-4EEB-BFA5-C3DAFC82F663.jpeg
2BD25441-33E9-4200-BAF7-96499895E2DF.jpeg

Purdy . ;)

That is a fantastic job friend. And you saved like 60.00 doing the work rather than having one shipped in.

Oops! you for got to chisel off the little engine restrictor plate before painting

No, I havent done that. Superstitious , I guess. 8)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account