Electrical revamp of puch maxi

Neil Hrdlick /

I recently purchased an 86 maxi, lots of fun, but I have several kinks to work out. Unfortunately the greater part of the electrical system was outright molested by the owner prior to whom I bought it from, the brake lights work and the horn worked when I hooked the lines to it, the only problem being it has an intermittent short so the horn goes off every now and again on its own accord. I would like to convert it to a 12v system with a small battery so I can run led lights all around. I knew the forum gods and moped wizards of moped army would be the best source of strength and guidance for this endeavor. I am moderately knowledgeable by mechanical and Electrical means, or so I though, I didn’t want to get too Experimental because I did not want to decommission the bike (as it is my island commuter) or worse yet awaken any Gremlins. Anything helps, thanks for your time and consideration.

-Neil

Re: Electrical revamp of puch maxi

Overpriced Parts /

The horn is a switch issue

I think completely different I rather fix then gut and start from scratch especially if it was my only bike

LEDs, Different coils, rectifiers, regulator, batteries and a complete rewire with all switches, brake light switches (Stock brake light switches are normally closed as well as horn switch) Light/bulb holders are going to take a long time to experiment around with and you will have some issues and failures, if you want to take the time and experiment, have fun that’s fine but if you want something quick it’s not gonna happen,

Can’t beat stock wiring setup for reliability so just fix it or make a post on buy+sell for a wiring harness for your year bike, not sure if your bike has the six wire Stator or not but you should be able to find the wiring schematic from a link in wiki,

All my bikes have variations of the six wire system so Son and I just took a bare maxi frame and put a good condition stock maxi MKII wiring harness, switches rear mount coil etc and put a speed Za50 engine on it and turning the bike into a maxi MKII, Putting the harness on including to the rear lights and headlight and horn didn’t take long at all

B89FEB5F-DE70-4ABA-899B-360EE6981EE2.jpeg
0D5E4553-A3CF-4A0B-9D69-9691E2C40B85.jpeg
DC79586B-D9A6-468F-ADC3-DA9E1B002570.jpeg

If you had a game the whole harness put a new one on if I could only be down for a day and if you just follow the schematic and fix it your bike wouldn’t be down long at all OK so the culprit could be the horn switch because it supposed to be normally closed and if it’s corroded then it will let ignition voltage go through it that’s how the horn works through the ignition on most puchs

Overpriced Parts /

This maybe your Stock wiring schematic

664CB38B-6CDC-4733-8386-5B2F81ECAD4C.jpeg

It’s different than any of my bikes, it looks like it has a 5 wire Stator

On my recent project, I built the entire wire harness and all the parts were done custom.

I had the 12V CDI with Regulator power to work with.

Repairing what you have is definitely gonna take less time and be easier. But, if you want something nice done once, I would just research the parts you need and build it all off the bike. Once everything is done, hook it up to power source and test it. Work out any issues.

If that goes well you’ll have the whole system you want and can take a weekend to remove everything from your bike, clean those hard to reach places, and put it back together.

I wanted to do LED but decided it wasn’t worth the extra complication. Unless you need more power for brighter headlights or some accessory, it might not be worth it for you.

If you’ve never done that, make sure you leave extra length. Especially on the handlebar parts. They have to be able to move freely, without rubbing or tension, from lock to lock.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,195704

Good info in there.

Awrsome. Wiring in a battery isnt trivial but doable, share your progress and methods!

A few folks have gone with acheap nimh rechargeable pack, and just wall charge it. Thats super easy and lasts a few hours on lights and lets you roll LEDs and low volt dc stuff.

Or the old cateyes for blinkers were batteries

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Awrsome. Wiring in a battery isnt trivial but doable, share your

> progress and methods!

>

> A few folks have gone with acheap nimh rechargeable pack, and just wall

> charge it. Thats super easy and lasts a few hours on lights and lets you

> roll LEDs and low volt dc stuff.

>

> Or the old cateyes for blinkers were batteries

Yeah cateye blinkers are/have batteries but the regulator, rectifier, flasher and all electronics are contained in the unit so all you have to do is add one wire to yellow wire light circuit under light switch, bam done,

The most easiest turn signal system ever, just one wire hook-up (sometimes 2 if you don’t have good handlebar ground) to have have four working turn signal lights (2 right, 2 left), Man to make that set up yourself would take a take a long time

You can have bright, consistent, LED lighting for the rest of your life for about $60 with no battery and minimal labor. Get a 12v lighting coil and the dial-a-brightness regulator from Treats, and a 20-pack of BA15S LED bulbs from Amazon.

Bolt on the regulator. Bolt on the coil. Yellow wire goes from stator to terminal block to regulator to headlight. Green wire goes from stator to terminal block, then branches into two wires, one to each switch on your brake levers. Wire the other pole of those switches back to the terminal block and out to your brake light. Your tail light circuit is unchanged. Drop the LEDs into all three of your stock housings. You're done. You will never have to make another bulb purchase.

Throw the fucking horn away, it's more trouble than it's worth.

2nd no horn.

I did it to try and be German Legal. Waste of time.

I can yell through a helmet way louder than a moped horn.

Plus, yelling can be personalized.

EXCUSE ME PLEASE!

FUCK YOU DOIN??!!

AAAAAAAAARGH!

Horns can’t do that.

This is the only thread you need to read Read this oh adding a battery is a pain in the ass.

Deadped Ryans wiring diagram is all you need.

God, I'm just waiting for El Pollo to turn up and roast you.

or roast himself.

I've got a cateye setup, Hvent used it. I should run through and see if it's all there, looks pretty corroded which was why i removed it. I'll definitely share it too if someone else wants it. But yea DeadPedRyan (I guess Daggers now!) is a clever dude and communicates well a simple setup

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> God, I'm just waiting for El Pollo to turn up and roast you.

God no. I'm sorry for what ever I did.

What ever happened to Pollo anyways.. Did he get the boot or ?

No idea. I used to love him be a complete cock end when he was pulled up on stuff and for not actually owning a moped. Such an arrogant cunt.

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> No idea. I used to love him be a complete cock end when he was pulled up

> on stuff and for not actually owning a moped. Such an arrogant cunt

Oh I know. He would insult and just miss me off.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account