Jet Reamer

https://www.puchshop.de/set-nozzle-cleaning-reamer-set.html?search=reamer

I keep seeing people asking about what jet size they need and the recommendations to buy a range of jets.

I picked up the reamer set, because it was so damn cheap, and I think that if I am looking to up-jet something after a mod, Im just going to progressively open the jet with the reamer until I get close.

Yeah, it makes for one mis-marked jet.

After I get it four stroking at WOT, Just measure the reamer with callipers and buy a small range of jets below that.

This is really perfect if your clone carb came with a mystery jet in it to begin with.

They also have a fancy set from 0.6 - 1.4mm for 6x the price.

If you do it right (maybe restrict the intake a bit to force a rich condition) step up the jet until it four strokes and then remove the restriction.

$6, one jet, perfect tune.

Am I missing anything. should we be doing it this way instead of amassing dozens of wrong jets to get one right one?

Re: Jet Reamer

Overpriced Parts /

I hate jet drills, many times when tuning dirt bikes and Mopeds some idiot would put a drilled out jet in the mix and would throw me off tuning a bike,

A few times it kept me up for hours trying to figure out what the heck is wrong when I kept notes for almost every Japanese Enduro bike and many Moped‘s small cc bikes

I think all jet drills should be banned! well not really I’ve drilled and soldered jets but only when they’we’re unavailable back in the day but nowadays you could buy anything,

I’m mad now I can’t finish a bike because I missing a 72 bing jet when I had tons of them but a few jets got stuck and I had to use pliers to remove them so I cannot see the number Because of plier marks, i’m gonna hate to make an order for one jet🏍🏍

The reamer set is how I measure the mystery jets. They sell a jet measuring tool as well. But if I see an obvious workaround to save a buck...

They work good if you have a spare jet to drill until it 4 strokes then order the correct jet rather than wasting money. Btw I always called it a pin vise. Use it for tuning vehicle carbs too because jets are kinda expensive.

That’s just a welding tip cleaner, sold at most stores that stock welders.

> Garrett The Kid Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That’s just a welding tip cleaner, sold at most stores that stock

> welders.

Yep. They sell little micro drills that you can drill and use as the dude said above. Sucks buying a bunch of jets and never using them. The welding tip reamer wont do a thing for your jets. I have never even used one to clean my welding tips.

One thing about drilling jets is keep the bit straight and drill slow by hand....never try to use a drill motor

Papa said: `After I get it four stroking at WOT, Just measure the reamer with callipers and buy a small range of jets below that.'

You might actually open up the airbox and be able to jet higher. Ever tried that?

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> > Garrett The Kid Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > That’s just a welding tip cleaner, sold at most stores that stock

>

> > welders.

>

> Yep. They sell little micro drills that you can drill and use as the

> dude said above. Sucks buying a bunch of jets and never using them. The

> welding tip reamer wont do a thing for your jets. I have never even used

> one to clean my welding tips.

It will remove slight amounts of the jet to open it up, takes a bit to do but can work if you need just slightly larger than what’s there. I’m talking .5 to 1 size at max, did it on a tx50 that disliked the stock jet

When I am done modifying parts, all the part attempts laying on the floor that failed, I just use a leaf blower and blow them out into the street for other people to come pick up and try on their bikes.

While I'm blowing I just blow all the leaves and trash out of my front yard out there too.

I mean someone will want this stuff right.

I don't have a broom

Those broom things don't fit my hands , either . ;)

> P D Wrote:

> Those broom things don't fit my hands , either . ;)

I got a shop vac for that reason. Is the sound of cleaning that is satisfying.

I do like the idea of a jet reamer. I find myself in between jets on a sha often. 72 is too rich, 70 is too lean.... 71 would be nice. And I have a bunch of mid 50's jets that have no place.

I usually tune the airbox on the sha once I get close to the jet I need.

Pushrod Fifty /

Jet bore sizes are way more accurate than common reamer or drill sizes offer up, or what verniers can measure. For our bikes, the jet bores are probably measured in accuracy of .xxxxx" or better.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Jet bore sizes are way more accurate than common reamer or drill sizes

> offer up, or what verniers can measure. For our bikes, the jet bores are

> probably measured in accuracy of .xxxxx" or better.

Yeah, reamed jets "work" but I've never heard anyone complain about buying a set of sockets and being like "Damn, I wish I could just buy the sockets I need because I never use the other ones."

Buying jets is a VERY SMALL investment for someone looking to work on mopeds as a hobby.

For less than the cost of ANY decent kit, you can get every 5mm Dell jet, which covers the majority of peds.

https://www.treatland.tv/dellorto-main-jets-Tracy-Meade-range-p/tracy-meade-jet-range.htm

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea, why question whether or not your drilling is the running issue when a jet is so cheap.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> I hate jet drills, many times when tuning dirt bikes and Mopeds some

> idiot would put a drilled out jet in the mix and would throw me off

> tuning a bike,

Been there Ken. I make it a point to get out my engraving tool and wipe the jet size off. In some cases I have even scribed the new size on the altered jet.

> A few times it kept me up for hours trying to figure out what the heck

> k is wrong when I kept notes for almost every Japanese Enduro bike and

> many Moped‘s small cc bikes

>

> I think all jet drills should be banned! well not really I’ve drilled

> d and soldered jets but only when they’we’re unavailable back in the day

> but nowadays you could buy anything,

Quality counts and a micrometer aids in verification.

> I’m mad now I can’t finish a bike because I missing a 72 bing jet when I

> had tons of them but a few jets got stuck and I had to use pliers to

> remove them so I cannot see the number Because of plier marks, i’m gonna

> hate to make an order for one jet🏍🏍

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

>

>

> > Jet bore sizes are way more accurate than common reamer or drill sizes

>

> > offer up, or what verniers can measure. For our bikes, the jet bores

> are

>

> > probably measured in accuracy of .xxxxx" or better.

>

> Yeah, reamed jets "work" but I've never heard anyone complain about

> buying a set of sockets and being like "Damn, I wish I could just buy

> the sockets I need because I never use the other ones."

>

> Buying jets is a VERY SMALL investment for someone looking to work on

> mopeds as a hobby.

>

> For less than the cost of ANY decent kit, you can get every 5mm Dell

> jet, which covers the majority of peds.

>

> https://www.treatland.tv/dellorto-main-jets-Tracy-Meade-range-p/tracy-meade-jet-range.htm

Like I said, I do it for a base line before ordering jets. This is more practical on cars as well because a single jet for a idf carb is usually 5 bucks, not only the idle jet but then you have to factor in the main and the air correction jet as well it can get expensive.

Sounds like more people (with more experience than me) feel like this is an overall not so good idea.

Still, I think I’ll try it with my next carb setup.

I feel like I should be able to get very good results. It just isn’t practical for a mechanic in a shop to fiddle with jets like this. But, a guy like me that has nothing but time, it could be?

I appreciate the responses and I PROMISE I won’t leave any numbers on jets I’ve tampered with. The world will be a safer place.

With some carbs the only way to rejet is to ream them. I always grind the number off of it so I know it’s no longer the indicated jet

I'm not opposed to buying jets and I get that they are typically well made within acceptable tolerances but that doesnt change the fact that the numbers are all even. An odd number would make all the difference some times.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> I'm not opposed to buying jets and I get that they are typically well

> made within acceptable tolerances but that doesnt change the fact that

> the numbers are all even. An odd number would make all the difference

> some times.

They always have odd sizes...

2886D751-E69D-4DEA-A5D8-B9AFE1D4F331.png

> Seth B Wrote:

> > Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

>

> > I'm not opposed to buying jets and I get that they are typically well

>

> > made within acceptable tolerances but that doesnt change the fact that

>

> > the numbers are all even. An odd number would make all the difference

>

> > some times.

>

> They always have odd sizes...

🤷‍♂️🙄😅

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> With some carbs the only way to rejet is to ream them. I always grind

> the number off of it so I know it’s no longer the indicated jet

this exactly. at this point probably half the time i'm dragging out the jet drills it's to see what size the ground off numbers actually are. sometimes i just mark em on lil crack baggies.

Used to be a lot harder to get jets like hobbit stock jets and square bings, and drilling can fill in between wide range jets like on Amals, so I got used to using it, i'll still drill a jet if I don't have the right one. Take old stock SHA 50's range, might as well bore it up cuz wtf you gonna do w those anyway

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Take old stock SHA 50's range, might as well bore it up cuz

> wtf you gonna do w those anyway

If they are shiny enough , tie a couple on the tail end of your fishing rig . They double as sinkers and attractors . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account