Puch Vs. Batavus

Batavus Starflight or Puch Maxi (High Torque!) ?

I've heard Puch makes the more known brand, is it worth trading my Starflight to get a Puch?

What is everyone's favorite brand? Also what year? Do you have a favorable kit? Teach me your ways!

Re: Puch Vs. Batavus

That’s like strolling into a wine forum and being like:

“Everyone knows there’s red wine but also white. I’m drinking white and thinking about trying red.”

Yep. Puch made a versatile moped. You can trade for the simple comfort of that or keep yours.

You’d have to be more specific about what your goals are. What you dream about doing with your moped.

Then, we can make a recommendation that compliments your “dish”.

id keep the starflight just cuz u could always pick up a puch. Unless yours is crap and its a clear trade up.

Overpriced Parts /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> id keep the starflight just cuz u could always pick up a puch. Unless

> yours is crap and its a clear trade up.

They’re all crap, external dry clutch you name it, I could go on! A puch is something that lasts for years so many parts still available and is very tuneable and able to go fast enough to keep up with traffic making for a good all-around useable bike!

A starlight is a great campsite, driveway or housing development bike but that’s about it,

If I didn't have a bike at all and had the choice I would take the Puch, just because so many more parts available, but as you have the Bat already, keep it and get the Puch, lots of them around. I like the looks and seats on the Starlight.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > id keep the starflight just cuz u could always pick up a puch. Unless

>

> > yours is crap and its a clear trade up.

>

> They’re all crap, external dry clutch you name it, I could go on! A puch

> is something that lasts for years so many parts still available and is

> very tuneable and able to go fast enough to keep up with traffic making

> for a good all-around useable bike!

>

> A starlight is a great campsite, driveway or housing development bike

> but that’s about it,

My Batavus hits 50. If you can get a spacer machined and put on a M1 kit, carb and pipe you too can hit 50 on a bat. It's really not hard.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------

> > ------------------------------------------------------> They’re all crap, external dry clutch you name it, I could go on! A puch

> is something that lasts for years

I have been stranded on way more Puchs than Bats. My bat is still kickin just fine with only one big “repair” (one way bearing to bypass the starter mechanism) in over 10 years. She will start every time and get you where you need without a single worry. I’ve done multiple 100+ mile runs on it, including up the mountains in Napa. Does a solid 35 and more peppy off the line than stock e50 Puchs. Killed a stock Derbi in a hill climb, too. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Bats are awesome bikes and super comfy, I don’t understand the bad rap they got.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Batavus are very comfortable.

I have a VA that a friend let at my house back home... I should grab it, rebuild it and get it going.

Could I get any hints on where to get a spacer, Nick?

I'll probably stay with the Batavus and continue making improvements to it

The reason I want a Puch so bad.

My coworker has two Puch's up for grabs, one is a parts bike and one needs nurturing.

....I mean, look at that dude's Puch.

I don't need my bike to go fast, it just needs to be clean and reliable, which it seems like everyone has Puch parts. Is that because they made a lot of them and they weren't reliable? ....dun dun dunnnn!

Dirty30 Dillon /

Arguably, Moby's were the most heavily imported/distributed moped and yet they are notorious for unreliability.

Puch's are quite reliable, but I don't know why everyone is convinced that Puch's have the most aftermarket, when Peugeot and Vespa definitely have much more aftermarket and quality repop stuff.

Need a new set of Puch cases? GL. Vespa or Peugeot, take your pick. If you had a Vespa frame, you could completely build just about the entire drivetrain from brand new parts.

> Johnny Walker Wrote:

> Could I get any hints on where to get a spacer, Nick?

>

> I'll probably stay with the Batavus and continue making improvements to

> it

>

> The reason I want a Puch so bad.

>

> My coworker has two Puch's up for grabs, one is a parts bike and one

> needs nurturing.

>

> ....I mean, look at that dude's Puch.

>

>

>

> I don't need my bike to go fast, it just needs to be clean and reliable,

> which it seems like everyone has Puch parts. Is that because they made a

> lot of them and they weren't reliable? ....dun dun dunnnn!

It's pretty, but it's an "N" hard tail will shake you to death, what you have is far more comfortable. Puch is a reliable make, Honda is the best, Motobecane is the sexiest by far, but cranky in a French bitch sort of way, but love her, and she will give you a silky smooth ride! Most mopeds were pretty reliable if left stock and maint performed, it's when people who have no idea what they are doing start messing around with them that they get buggered. I've only ridden 2 Puch's, both e-50's and both dogs, but they were stock, if you massage them a bit they will go like stink. But so will anything if you know what's up. I don't so much, but I can keep a stocker going, so that's what I do. I like your Bat. Vespa is a fabulous marque, sadly I have never owned a Vespa moped, had a scooter though, hated the floor clutch/handle grip shift, sold it in a week, but it was way well built. Only thing I have heard about Bats is the drive belts are hard to find, never had one, so I can't vouch for that.

I have a maxi N, too. Rigid bikes aren’t that bad. Another bad rap thing. It’s like riding a bicycle. Not super comfortable but not terrible.

We have never had to change the drive belt on the bat in over a decade of my wife owning it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Bats construction is superior also triple chromed duralon paint epoxy/enamel baked can get centrifugal dry clutch.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account