Garelli NOI crankshafts different??

So somebody school me on The Garelli NOI. I spent 65.00 for a bottom end with a good crankshaft so I could pull the crank and put it in my Super Sport build.

I get the bottom on my table and pull the crank only to find that the one I pulled is shorter, smaller lobes, Smaller bearings.

The crank on the top is my original busted crank. It measures 6.5" tip to tip.

The crank on the bottom is the one I pulled out of the bottom end.

004.JPG
005.JPG

Here is a pic of the cases that the small crank came from.

smallcrankNOI.jpg

Can somebody please school me as to the differences in these big crank, small crank NOI motors so that when I go back on BUY SELL I don't fuck myself again. It is my own fault for not doing the research on a bike I have never rescued

Re: Garelli NOI crankshafts different??

Damn brotha. That is news to me.... have you tried putting the smaller crank into your other case to see how things sit? What about just building up the cases you took the small crank from? Maybe other parts from your case will work in the new engine... wish I knew the actual answer to this. I have two noi bikes but from looks they seem to be identical.

I actually already have the original cases that had the busted crank cleaned and gasketed. Besides I bought bearings for the original cases same as what came out.

The new bearings are bigger and thicker than the small crank bearing.

Ugggh

Besides I would rather have a replacement for the big crank as it would make better top end power. (edited)

Looks like that wrist pin circlip has rotated some.

Anyway, since ive never had a VIP motor apart I will have to speculate some. VIP and NOI motors share the transmission parts but the cranks are different. Now with that in mind the NOI has two different crankshaft configurations; a one speed and a two speed, both of which are interchangeable with the matching transmission parts. The two speed crank will be longer than the one speed and of the same diameter, using the same bearings. So if had to guess, the bigger crank you have is most likely out of a VIP motor and is NOT an NOI.

Try again, but this time take diameter and length measurements. (edited)

Edit: yes the cases pictured and the smaller crank are indeed NOI one speed. Where are the cases for the bigger crank?? Pics (edited)

So your thinking that the original motor with the bad crank I disassembled and cleaned up may be a 2 speed noi with single speed parts? The case carter area is in fact unique in size to each crank.

I did not know that there was a two speed NOI configuration motor. I just thought that the two speed was the vertical cylinder VIP . I need to take more pics of the other cases and post them.

I will go to the shop and get some more pics, Many thanks for your help. (edited)

From a garelli katia maybe

Garelli made up to 4 speed noi style engines. They would not be even close to the same as the one speed engines tho. The comment above is referencing the vertical vip style engine which is their 2spd automatic engine. Nothing is interchangeable between these two types of engines. Except maybe the little rubber grommets that go on the clutch spindle. But even the rubber clutches are completely different.

The best idea I have on the weirdly different cranks is a either a big span in years. The 1970's engine may have been less restricted on speed than a mid 1980's bike which is maybe the smaller crank year? The other thing I think of is that garelli was bought out by avanti motors but I am not familiar with any noi engines made by avanti. They seemed to only make the vip style engine.

Yes that is what Kevin Bishop said in a message, only he called it a mini bike and described a radial cylinder. I am starting to think I bought a pre 1976 NOI bottom.

I took pics this morning of the cases I am building with the destroyed crank. This motor had single speed clutch same as the bottom I bought with the small crank.

You can see the single clutch off to the side

Here is the donor small crank case next to the big crank case. I am starting to think that the early pre 1976 Noi had the small crank I guess.

(edited)

Great now I cant seem to load pics

garrellipartswap004.JPG
garrellipartswap005.JPG

the case on the left is for a NOI

the case on the right is for a eureka FLEX 'radial fin'

the motor mount bushing is the tell.

put the cases back together, and you will see they are not the same width; the flex cases are much narrower.

the crank is smaller as well as the output gear and i think maybe the clutch bell is different too. and maybe the clutch cover?

some people think there is a performance advantage to using the narrower and lighter output shaft gear.. I say leave the garelli's alone!!!!

good luck on your build ;)

Yes cole I can see a lot of differences. Can you tell me if I can use a Vip/Gulp crank in place of my destroyed NOI crank. From pics I have seen they seem to have the same knurled end for the clutch. But then I have to wonder about the length from the side of the crank journal to the threads off. On both sides for that matter.

The doner looks like it is actually the 2 speed noi. That is my guess. Was there transmission parts in that one? The case is way different.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The doner looks like it is actually the 2 speed noi. That is my guess.

Its not. The one speed and two speed noi cranks are identical with the exception the shaft being a little longer on the clutch side only to accommodate the "stacked" second speed gear and clutch. (edited)

Here is a 2 speed noi crank from a 1979 ssxl. Notice the longer shaft on the right for the extra gear and clutch...

20170115_012959.jpg
20161111_165728.jpg

(edited)

This is the one speed crank I installed when the second speed clutch bell failed. I had to change the transmission parts and clutch cover too... And regearing of sprockets was neccessary

20170525_022218.jpg
20170428_215310.jpg

(edited)

Wow, great pics Evil.. Think I am starting to understand and get my head into the different 1 and 2 speed cranks.

Are you sure you didn't make a posting mistake with the pic you said is the 1 speed crank? it looks like the clutch side length is the same as the pic before. Hmmm.

Here is another couple of shots of my bad 1 speed crank that I am looking for.

garellicrankagain001.JPG
garellicrank2001.JPG

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> Wow, great pics Evil.. Think I am starting to understand and get my head

> into the different 1 and 2 speed cranks.

>

> Are you sure you didn't make a posting mistake with the pic you said is

> the 1 speed crank? it looks like the clutch side length is the same as

> the pic before. Hmmm.

I may have. At a glance (without measuring) the one speed crank looks the same length on both ends. There will be NO mistaking the longer clutch end of the 2 speed crank at a glance (without measuring).

When I get back to the other house tomorrow I will measure and post the long end of the 2 speed crank I have out. (edited)

From the face of the crank web to the tip of the long end of the crank shaft is 80mm, whereas yours is 63mm.

Here is a straight on view. One and two speed use the same size bearings.

20200705_161838.jpg

Heads up live evil. Vip and noi two speed clutch components are the same, in the case you wanted to go back to a 2 spd.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Heads up live evil. Vip and noi two speed clutch components are the

> same, in the case you wanted to go back to a 2 spd.

Thanks I know. Tried buying a used clutch bell from a clown in buy/sell. He reneged a week later after I sent payment.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account