1977 Sparta Buddy/Deluxe Engine

Hey, how can I determine if my Sachs 504 1 is an A or B engine?

Re: 1977 Sparta Buddy/Deluxe Engine

It'll say so on the engine tag. You can also tell by the carb numbers and porting. Sall in the wiki

Thanks @aaronb i've reviewed this subject on wiki. Unfortunately tag only shows 504/1 however i was able to locate the following numbers 85/10/101 which leads me to believe i'm working with the 'B' smaller carb restricted engine... Would you agree?

Did you remove the carb and check the metal tag on the block underneath? I have never seen one without the letter designation

I’ll take a look. Here’s a pic of the engine tag with no letter indicated.

CBA1344B-F40A-4961-A7D7-C16D7EF6C8DC.jpeg

Huh, yup not a letter.

As far as I know there wasn't a d 504 anyway. Hmmm I believe the second carb number refers to the Venturi diameter. Which would lead me to think that your right. 20 or 25 mph variant....

Although I wouldn't use the word restricted. As 20-25 mph Sachs engines used a completely different jug. They weren't just restricted with a narrow intake and carb like a Puch, but actually engineered slower....sucks

Yup found it in the wiki

85/10/101 A

Stock on restricted 25mph Sachs models, generally accompanied by a small exhaust header pipe. Main jet #50

Jeremy Homser /

Your cylinder is an "A" but you have the smaller 10mm carb and probably the small exhaust header. Make an intake spacer to raise the intake about 1/4 of an inch then you can use a 12mm bing from a puch. They are alot easier to work with and they are cheap here on buy/sell.

Thanks I appreciate the suggestion!

One follow up question. Any suggestions for replacing the exhaust pipe without having to weld?. Everything i see on treat is 25-28. Unfortunately, has the smaller stock 22 exhaust header currently.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account