First Tomos Clutch Turned - Tooling Complete

Dave Thacker /

How you like that finish? Took a while to figure it out. 2 more to do on my Peds.

20200627_165520.jpg

Re: First Tomos Clutch Turned - Tooling Complete

roy jongejan /

i like it... but why?

> roy jongejan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i like it... but why?

Maybe you don't like smooth ?

Because these look drawn/stamped I would still do a static balance on them if you are actually doing this to "balance" them.

Its easy to make a static balancer. Looks like you have a lathe so making the bits for it would not be hard.

Dave Thacker /

Why? Each bell 1/2 is stamped, welded together over the center section. They then machine the inside using the machined center section as center. The boring rounds out the inside of the bells. The outside remains as stamped and with poor alignment to center. If you measure the thickness of your bells, you will wide variation in thickness. If the clutch is .015" thicker on one side than the other (and they usually are) then there is more metal one side than the other which = gross out of balance. Out of balance does not feel good and it gobbles up horse power. It takes energy to shake the shit out of things.

roy jongejan /

i see, might look into that too sometime then, actually in the middle of building a replacement clutch, already relined the pads with leather and shortened the springs

Dave Thacker /

I'm working on relining a set of clutches for the firs time. I put new clutches in the machined bell. Those were from Treats and machined to accept the springs because they don't come actually fitting the Tomos parts. For most, I would recommend just buy the factory shoes or reline your own. I might build a fixture for machining the Treats shoes. They do shift very nice.

roy jongejan /

im not aware of this Treats parts, is it a shop? a brand?

> Dave Thacker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why? Each bell 1/2 is stamped, welded together over the center section.

> They then machine the inside using the machined center section as

> center. The boring rounds out the inside of the bells. The outside

> remains as stamped and with poor alignment to center. If you measure

> the thickness of your bells, you will wide variation in thickness. If

> the clutch is .015" thicker on one side than the other (and they usually

> are) then there is more metal one side than the other which = gross out

> of balance. Out of balance does not feel good and it gobbles up horse

> power. It takes energy to shake the shit out of things.

Right, you answered your own question in your reply.

Because it is stamped not only is the wall thickness varied on the edges but the face and also to some degree the flat that the hub is welded to (the drawn metal has to come from somewhere)

So all of that can add to your total imbalance, just because something is round to something else does not mean it is balanced. Better than it was, possibly but I wouldn't call it balanced.

I balance stuff on an IRD balancer fairly often. It balances dynamically using 2 load cells on a floating platform we do lots of things like shaft couplers, BIG rotors and everything in between. I also statically things like grinding wheels and odds and ends. round and true != balanced..

If your going this far to quell vibration, what is getting 4 bearings and making a simple static balance stand? You already have the mandrel to hold the parts.

Its not skin off my back either way, just throwing it out there your half way there, why not make it as good as it can be?

Dave Thacker /

I didn't ask a question. I already own a Hi-Point balancer which is the most sensitive thing money can buy under 500 that is not commercial equipment. (All ground surfaces) No longer made. Capable of balancing nuts. I can make a mandrel and balance this as well. Why have I not? Life is short. This is all I have had time to accomplish so far. I did weight match the clutches. But of course you would understand that is not balanced. I never said turning the bells would achieve balancing. My skills are far beyond such an error. ;-) (edited)

Dave Thacker /

Treatland? Treatland.tv. I am open to all suggestions of better sources. (edited)

roy jongejan /

i mainly use dutch sites, but i know some of them also ship international, one of my favorites is this one https://www.tomoshop.nl/?view=mobile&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdCLyuCm6gIVR4GyCh1H3wNlEAAYASAAEgJGa_D_BwE

JMPB Onderdelen and puchshop.de send worldwide I think

roy jongejan /

puchshop.de and tomoshop.nl are run by the same people, i use both for parts for my A3(5)

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

If you really need your clutches tuned

Hit up Hecky's Cluntch Performance Engineering in Boston/LSLB

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account