Ways to tell what "edition" of Puch Maxi?

I bought a Maxi off of craigslist a few years ago and have been puttering along with it, but i have no idea what type of Maxi it actually is (i.e. Standard, Luxe, Newport, Sport, Rigid, etc). Is there any way to tell via the VIN or frame (or anything lol) what im riding? I know the rigid is pretty obvious to tell (no rear shocks) but ill be damned if i can find anything in the vastness of the internet that points me to any identifying markers. Does the manufacture date plate state the model if its something other than just a standard Maxi (as mine plainly states)?

Re: Ways to tell what "edition" of Puch Maxi?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Why wouldn't you just post a photo? You didn't really provide any descriptor information regarding the bike, a photo would probably be the easiest way to ID

This is my moped in question, but I was trying to ask generally if there were any ways to ID a maxi for anyone who would need to know

Put your fork brace back on!

SHIT! The guy i bought it off of must have taken it off and discarded it, what would leaving it off do in the long run?

Can make the handling wonky, never had one myself, but heard from peeps that only ride Puch that it is very necessary for safety. Keeps forks from flexing, stock are not the stiffest things around. Might be something in the Wili about it, as well as perhaps the answers to your original question. Some one who knows more of this brand will chime in sooner or later, more of a Honda and Motobecane guy myself. No id plate on the fork head? (edited)

Good to know, i've just recently become financially stable enough to start really working on it. I just got it running after 3 years of it sitting, so I haven't had the opportunity to reaaally reach the point of riding where any stressors such as not having the frame on brace would be an issue. But that's definitely on my next treats order, ty. And no theres not, the guy that i bought it from put alot of work into it (not the best quality but I'm no saint when it comes to working clean) but its left me with a multitude of things either missing or breaking. (edited)

Fork brace, not frame brace, 2 different things, fork brace goes over the front wheel where the front fender once was, check out pics in gallery of stock Puch's, a frame brace goes from fork head to the seatpost area, not as necessary unless racing or frame is compromised by rust, also not a stock part like the fork brace.

gotcha gotcha, I know I read it as fork brace because i just googled it, but my brains a big dummy

Overpriced Parts /

Absolutely right Stephen, very dangerous without a fender or fork brace what happens is a couple Hard turns, flex-flex the bolts looses, forks loosen making play as well as enough to axle bolts loosen then the whole front tire can come off as well

Well fuck me hahah, last I had it running I was hitting around ~45, glad I didn’t end up smeared on pavement. I guess I’m lucky because when I when to change my drive chain and front sprocket I noticed the bearing cup in the rear wheel was split in three.

It's going to be hard to ID the exact model of Maxi you have, since the differences mostly come down to paint color, decal styling, stock engine component type, and wheel type. Since yours is pretty modded with aftermarket decals (and maybe paint job?) you should try to find the year on the VIN plate and try to go from there.

Wesley Ambrosini /

Myron's has all the models based on what they came equiped with stock, right?

Holy shit I don’t know why I just didn’t do that, thank you. I’m 85% sure now it’s a maxi sport ls, as Myron’s indicates that’s the only maxi model produced in 1984.

Thank y’all!

Dirty30 Dillon /

That would suck if it was an LS, because I am pretty sure the Maxi LS came with the baller factory long seat with under storage.

I’m sayin, that long seat it came with looks much plushier and more rad than what the dude put on it before I picked it up.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

There was also the grey maxi with the orange decals that was made in 84. An LS had a storage seat and they almost all came with mags. You most likely have a repainted grey maxi.

whats under the black? Myrons is the best

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account