Targa LX Stalling When Warm

Planning to go check out an LX this weekend for purchase. The seller states that he thinks it's a CDI issue. After talking with him more he stated that a couple months ago he smelled an electrical burning smell when the problem started happening. He says it still turns over and starts on first or second try, but dies once it gets warmed up. I'm curious what you guys think the problem could be, especially since it's a good deal I don't want to pass up. Just don't know what I'm getting into, thanks.

Re: Targa LX Stalling When Warm

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Condenser

cdi don't have condensers, as far as a deal how much we talking about and are u mechanically inclined.

Definitely mechanically inclined. Guy is asking $500 for the bike in question as well as a parts bike. I know the parts bike also has a CDI, so if that is indeed the problem it will come with another part.

well, ride it when its cold, and see if it runs good and shifts good, no crazy noises, up and down the street should be sufficient. I wouldn't waste 500 on two non runners or would I, hmm.

as far as the burning electrical just go thru the wires, theres only so many, normally cdi stuff is go or no go but heat does effect electrical stuff.

roy jongejan /

Targa? Tomos? Tomos doesnt have an cdi, just an ignition coil that might indeed short out and get damaged, either the black block coil thingy or the stator coil itself could be damaged, the latter is simple to test with a multimeter, should be around 270 ohms

> roy jongejan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Targa? Tomos? Tomos doesnt have an cdi, just an ignition coil that might

> indeed short out and get damaged, either the black block coil thingy or

> the stator coil itself could be damaged, the latter is simple to test

> with a multimeter, should be around 270 ohms

Tomos do have CDI's after like 1996.

roy jongejan /

do you mean the black box that the spark plug ignition cable comes out of? Might be a slight language barrier then, we call that a bobine, its only a cdi here when there is some programmable logic going on in it

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

sorry its just i've seen a bunch of posts in the repair forum with the same issues, it seems like its alwats condenser

roy jongejan /

if it has one, its probably the condenser, if it doesnt, its probably the black ignition coil thingy refered to as the cdi, and there is a small chance its a bad spark plug cap

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account