USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etc

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I've said it a few times before in other threads, but ill say it again here. USB endoscopes are awesome for inspecting inside gas tanks, cylinders, pipes, your colon, etc.

One thing I cannot stand is crud and sediment in my gas tanks. People say to just use inline filters, but i have never found a filter that kept fine sediment out of my carb. It always settles into the bowl, and eventually gets sucked up by your jets and can cause scoring, or just clog things. I sold a spree to a guy, and it was brought back to me twice having died on him. For some reason the bike was SUPER sensitive to any junk in the fuel, even a tiny amount of super fine sediment would make it stall out, filter be damned. Got myself a new endoscope with USB C so I could check the tank out and found that although it looked pristine after multiple cleanings, it still had tiny amounts of stuff in it. The spree tank has some crazy baffling in the roof of the tank that kept creeping out with vibrations. Finally got it clean, hasn't had a problem since.

20200301_105443.jpg

You never know what's lurking in there. Even if your gas is coming out clean ish, many petcock bungs are not at the lowest point of the tank, so the tank becomes a sediment trap that slowly lets stuff out over time.

The camera is really helpful in that it lets you know what you're up against, and how far you need to go.

Heres a pic I just took of the inside of my Cimatti 86 tube frame tank. There was a couple spoonfuls of rusty jank that would turn my gas a dark brown. The bung made a lip inside about 1/4 in tall, and the last of the stuff wouldn't come out. I attached a length of 1/2in fuel line to my shop vac, put some water in the tank, and vacuumed out all that shit. Confirmed with the camera that all was good afterwards.

IPC_2020-06-15.19.04.40.3469.jpg

Possibly the dirtiest tank of all belonged to my euro sped ciao mix. Pic was taken after hours and hours of rinsing with a hose, pressure washer, hot water, degreaser etc. Repeated my vacuum trick, worked great. I taped the hose to a coat hanger, and the camera too. To help guide it through the bracing/baffling.

200324_201002.jpg

They're like $20 and a sweet tool to have. Usually have embedded lights, and attachments like hooks and magnets for retrieving stuff. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. (edited)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcTopic by: Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) 06/17/20 01:46PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: * wormdirt * * wormdirt * 06/17/20 02:17PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: todd amundson todd amundson 06/17/20 02:48PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) 06/17/20 03:05PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: sketch mo sketch mo 06/17/20 03:23PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 06/17/20 06:37PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Seth B Seth B 06/17/20 09:21PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: P D P D 06/17/20 09:21PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) 06/17/20 10:17PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 06/18/20 06:46PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: EH 📣FCC of the QCB EH 📣FCC of the QCB 06/17/20 10:25PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Pushrod Fifty Pushrod Fifty 06/18/20 05:43AM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Les B. Les B. 06/18/20 12:19PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) 06/18/20 12:38PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Probably Fred Probably Fred 06/18/20 01:14PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 06/18/20 01:55PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Graham Motzing Graham Motzing 06/18/20 04:02PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 06/19/20 12:33AM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: MPB Andyrew MPB Andyrew 06/19/20 10:37AM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Graham Motzing Graham Motzing 06/18/20 04:12PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Nile Muti Nile Muti 06/18/20 04:23PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Totally normal JBOT Totally normal JBOT 06/18/20 04:37PM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Nate K Nate K 06/19/20 11:28AM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: Adrian Murphy Adrian Murphy 06/20/20 01:33AM
  Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etcRe: TRES RAYOS. ADAM S. TRES RAYOS. ADAM S. 06/20/20 06:40AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account