Rear Discs?

Bruce Mahoney /

Hi all,

I've got a 1980 Puch Magnum II that I built up 10 years ago and have just started riding again. It rips, with the Gila Kit, Mikuni 24mm, Destroyer pipe, etc. She does about 50-55 now and it takes a little while to slow down! I've got the original Mike Thomas Disc up front and upgraded (many years but only about 20 miles ago) rear drum shoes, and was wondering if anyone has done a rear brake disc? I see most lightweight mountain bikes have them these days so it makes sense they would be a lot better than what I have now.

Happy to have the ped ripping around again but want to be able to stop on a dime. Anybody build or have seen rear discs on a Magnum?

Thanks!

Re: Rear Discs?

You can get some spacers made and get some bolts and bolt on another mike Thomas disc to the rear wheel. Have to made a bracket and get a longer stainless braided line for the caliper.

Re: Rear Discs?

> Bruce Mahoney Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> want to be able to stop on a dime.

I can empathize with your 'plight' , but , That^ just ain't gonna happen .

There isn't enough tire contact to get it done . You might end up doing a lot of skidding , unless you get a feel for an ABS type braking sequence .

That would definitely help stopping much quicker . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account