Planned website maintenance: Wed 6/10, 5:30pm ET

Heads up that today 6/10 around 5:30pm Eastern the website will be offline for a brief period. It could be as high as 20 minutes, although I'm hoping it's much less. I'm moving the website to a new server that will support an improved backup system. (edited)

Re: Planned website maintenance: Wed 6/10, 5:30pm ET

Just curious as to how large the 20 year old, 1.5 million post database is, including photos, and how long it currently takes to back up? Do you back up the entire database each day or set up a schedule for monthly, weekly, and incremental backups?

And thanks for doing such a great job all these years. Your work has been outstanding when you consider how many people this site has helped. (edited)

Thanks for the heads up , Simon .

Just do what ya gotta do and hopefully things will be a bit better . ;)

Jeremy Homser /

Cool! Thanks for all the hard work Simon!

Somebody always has to wash the dishes and clean up after a party - much appreciate the website, effort and all the helpful members.

Thanks for keeping this thing going for all of us.

20 minutes! Does that mean I'm actually going to have to speak to my wife?

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 20 minutes! Does that mean I'm actually going to have to speak to my

> wife?

When you start talking mopeds, their eyes glaze over or they fall asleep, so you wouldn't have to talk too long.

FYI: we are back up, but some things didn't go smoothly so we're kind of half transferred now. Stay tuned and 🤞.

Things are stable for now but due to a problem in the database transfer there will be another period of downtime at some point. I'm not sure when yet.

Forum search was temporarily down but that's working again.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just curious as to how large the 20 year old, 1.5 million post database

> is, including photos, and how long it currently takes to back up? Do

> you back up the entire database each day or set up a schedule for

> monthly, weekly, and incremental backups?

The database and files are backed up once a day, but after this server move we will have a duplicate mirroring setup where every time a file is written it is simultaneously duplicated (similar to a RAID setup). This allows for more robust failure protection, and will be paired with periodic incremental snapshots as well.

Tweaker trash /

Your a babe

Simon is the man! Thanks for your hard work... where is the tip jar round here?

FYI: some potential downtime this morning as I resolve the database transfer issue and try moving it again. Stay tuned.

The move is complete. Let me know if you notice anything broken or not working correctly.

A bit more downtime coming up in the next 30 minutes. Fingers crossed that this will be the last period of downtime.

Simon, no idea what's been done, but thanks for what your doing here. Lotta good information here! 8)

We are finally all moved over to a new server! This was routine maintenance in some ways, but sets the site up well to stay healthy. No need to get into the technical side of things, but it appears that everything is back up and running smoothly now, let me know if you see otherwise.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account