Moped Law Question

So I currently live in GA, where I don't need to register or insure a moped. If I take that moped into another state where laws are more strict, say North Carolina (where they must be registered and insured), do I suddenly need to register/have a motorcycle license depending on the state? Or am I just held to the state laws of my license?

Re: Moped Law Question

expect to be pulled over. carry proof of the state you live in and a copy of your state moped laws. theoretically, police will see where youre from and the laws you have to follow and you'll be ok.

Pushrod Fifty /

You should be fine because the law of reciprosity, other states have to honor the regulations of your state.

I've been traveling around the U.S. for the last 10 years . We are retired full time RVers and live in our motor home .

I originally registered our FA50 in Michigan , even though it wasn't needed according to Michigan law .

I've never been pulled over or even asked if it was legal in any other state that we've been in .

I do check every states' requirements for helmet laws and act accordingly .

Just ride responsibly and abide by the local traffic laws and you should be fine . (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You should be fine because the law of reciprosity, other states have to

> honor the regulations of your state.

Reciprocity is a state-by-state law. States are not required by federal law to honor the motor vehicle statutes of another state.

NY has a reciprocity law in it's state statutes, yet it's so obscure you (meaning me) will get pulled over all the time.

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

^^^ I would have to agree with Dillon. Nebraska is a helmet required state no matter if you are from out of state or not. Also Cops are going to pull you over no matter the state law if they feel like it.

My Family and I got pulled over in a park that crosses two states, Nebraska and Iowa. The officer was new to these parts and was not familiar with Nebraska state laws on mopeds. He stated that my bike didn't have any plates and I had to educate him on NE moped no plate laws. He pulled out his cell phone and found it to be true. He told me that if we had been back in his home state the bike would have been in the back of his truck. I was pulled over on the Nebraska side of the park but he stated you know this park is also in Iowa which does have plates. I told him yes I did know that. He told me to have a good day and drove off. We rode all over the park that day with out any further issues.

Dirty30 Dillon /

For anyone travelling to NYS/NYC with moped plans:

Article 48A, Section 2261, Subsection 5:

"5. Out-of-state limited use vehicle registration. The registration

provisions of this article shall not apply to a non-resident who has

registered his limited use vehicle in compliance with the registration

or licensing laws of the state, province or country of his residence,

provided that the limited use vehicle so registered in accordance with

the laws of the state, province or country of residence of such owner is

appropriately identified by an identification plate, sticker or other

identifying device issued by such state, province or country."

You have to carefully check the state's laws to find this. The above info can only be found by actually reading the laws concerning Limited Use Vehicles. The DMV or PD won't tell you the above.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account