minnesota to washington state

hi everyone- does anyone know routes to take for mopeds to get from minnesota to the west coast? preferrably a northern route...deserts creep me out! ty

Re: minnesota to washington state

Only person worth asking for longhaul is Honeboy Rus.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

A noob, going cross country, on a Bat, that won't start, lol.

I hope you have a chase vehicle. (edited)

Obtain used chrysler minivan, throw away rear seats, place moped in van, place sleeping bag and clothing in van, drive to Cali any route you choose, (avoiding creepy desserts) party/ride/do whatever you are going to do out there, return comfortable and dry.

Eastern Washington is absolutely a desert.

> Todd S Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Eastern Washington is absolutely a desert.

Not all of it.

Hey, fellow Minnesotan Batavus rider! Your plans on adventure sound like a heck in a handbasket of a good time, I would be totally stoked to tag along.

I just got a '78 Batavus Starflight, what kind is yours?

Stephen mentioned a cheap van, that might be a safe bet for a longer journey. I would be willing to throw down a few hundred bucks with you to figure something out.

Personally I've hardly ever left Minnesota, so a trip anywhere would be an experience. I've heard the upper peninsula of Michigan is gorgeous (and is a lot closer).

But seriously, show some pictures of your bike and let me know if you want to roll together. I'm right near Anoka!

-Johnny

campeona del mundo /

look up what route bicycle dudes take. just rip the shoulder of the highway and never look back

Mopeds are not permited on highways in MN.

Once again Stephen comes in clutch. I had zero idea about moped legality on highways.

That's why I'm here, though.

I really want to see this dude's Bat. C'mon, dude!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Mopeds are not permited on highways in MN.

What are you calling a highway,Stephen? Two lanes? That would be a bad law.

Pushrod Fifty /

Make a route on google maps, bounce between small towns, have a blast.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Make a route on google maps, bounce between small towns, have a blast.

^ This! Frequent stops, talking to locals, a planned route of small roads is the way to travel slow and see the country.

This has to be a troll account right?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Mopeds are not permited on highways in MN.

>

> What are you calling a highway,Stephen? Two lanes? That would be a bad

> law.

I guess anything with a limit of 55 and up, there are signs on the entrance ramps prohibiting pedestrians, bicycles and motorized bicycles. It's not a bad law, the min speed limit is 40 out there and even in a car going 40 on the highway will cause an accident, a moped has no place on a highway.

So looks like you mean at least 4 total lanes. I never travel on 4-lanes except on the berm like the Amish.

You can't even do that here, my dad did it on my very first bike when I was 15, the highway patrol had him stopped within a mile, read him the riot act, with a wink, and said if we see you out here again we are citing you and impounding the bike. He said something to me, like let that be a lesson to you...? but he had egg on his face, but knew he did wrong, there are signs up prohibiting mopeds on the highway. Old white guy privelige I guess? he used to race motorcycles in the desert and on ice, so he thought my 50v did not matter? He was on the shoulder of the highway, but in all honesty even kitted mopeds have no place on a highway, the suspension and brakes are not up to highway travel. They were never intended for such.

They won't bother you for that in Southern OH...………. but if you got off the berm and into the right lane of a 4-lane doing less than 45, they'd nail you.

Down here the Amish run the berm of a 4-lane and cross the intersections, so they really can't support bothering mopeds.

Different place I guess, mopeds on highways don't fly here. Not sure if we even have Amish in MN?

Amish scare me down here. Big semis flying by them, and they plod along at 10-15 mph unaware of the danger they're in.

Every once in a while, a buggy will be run down. Sad.

Pushrod Fifty /

Read Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon and On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

When I travelled X-country in my travelling van, before the internet, I got a trip layout from AAA that gave me the back Road way to Cali. After that trip I started travelling by motorcycle, and some by moped, packing ultralight gear in a rucksack. If I had the time now, I would make a long moped trip but start in the west to ride with the wind currents.

Pushrod said: ` I would make a long moped trip but start in the west to ride with the wind currents.'

On a real moped with pedals?

You have a 77 MBK 50V?...……...you wouldn't try cross-country on THAT would you?

Pushrod Fifty /

I would take a Moby, I put alot of miles on my last one and it was dependable and quiet. Saw alot of Harleys and VW busses on the side of the highway on my last X-C trip, but no Mobys! This one still needs more going thru to be a long distance rider. Just got word my treats came in, I'll be replacing the engine mounts and belt.

I would too, but only if up to as new specs, and probably a sha too.

rick ziereis /

You can get much of the way there on hwy 2. That would be your best bet. Lots of small towns along the way. Took that route from Wis to Glacier Park back in the 70s. I would not do it if you are in a car and in a hurry to get there because you must slow down thru all these small towns. Rick

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I would take a Moby, I put alot of miles on my last one and it was

> dependable and quiet. Saw alot of Harleys and VW busses on the side of

> the highway on my last X-C trip, but no Mobys! This one still needs more

> going thru to be a long distance rider. Just got word my treats came in,

> I'll be replacing the engine mounts and belt.

Have you read Walter Muma's adventures going across Canada,up inti the Eskimo lands and back on a Motobecane? 11,500 miles, I think. But his bike was brand new.

Pushrod Fifty /

Have to check out Muma.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account