What drill press should I get?

Wesley Ambrosini /

I know this is OT but that place is a mess.

Trying to buy my first drill press, basically it's in between the Wen 10" or trying to find a used badass one.

I'm worried that a used one will eventually need parts or something that will be hard to find.

Also wondering if I'm going to outgrow the Wen

What say you?

Re: What drill press should I get?

Honestly you will probably need to fix a newer/cheaper one than an older used one. I'd say you can't go wrong trying to find an old school craftsman unit or something similar.

I have some old ass one you change the speed on by switching the belt over different pulleys. It's bullet proof and it was $50 on Craigslist. Buying used is the way to go

I got an ok. Older Belt drive 5 speed drill press from a Flea market a few years ago for $40 and sold it for $100 when I moved...

It’s nice to have a bigger machine with more power Tho......you know like a Bridgeport.....

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have some old ass one you change the speed on by switching the belt

> over different pulleys. It's bullet proof and it was $50 on Craigslist.

> Buying used is the way to go

100%. If you are not in a super hurry, setup an saved search / alert on CL

Near me for example....

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/d/doylestown-floor-standing-drill-press/7132880566.html.

Pushrod Fifty /

I brought a new Ryobi bench size press a while back. It's ok but changing the speeds is not easy. The shroud will fall right onto your fingers as you move the belt and the motor bolts are akward. Its too fast, really not good for metal over 1/2" bit size.

I was given an old Delta recently and that is a gem. The Ryobi is now under a junk pile somewhere.

If you buy used , take good hold of the chuck and try moving it side way / front to back . If there's more than a thin hairs movement , leave it and find one that will bore straight . Too much play in the driven / chuck shaft and you'll find out what wandering is .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

If you only want to buy new, Grizzly has some nice machines. The WEN 12" has good reviews too, i was considering it myself. It has a CVT, no need to move the belt on stepped pulleys.

If you can find a nice condition Buffallo or Walker Turner machine near you used, or a Delta, Delta/Rockwell, or Delta/Milwaukee, they work really well too

Wesley Ambrosini /

This is what I was looking at as far as used

Honestly I love old tools, so futzing with it would be a joy.

Good looking out with checking for play I'll definitely do that because the press will probably have to do light milling work as well

Wesley Ambrosini /

I have a large grizzly and a small vintage Montgomery wards. The grizzly is a power house and can also double as a oscillating sander. The newer big box store small drill presses suck. Work ok for wood or thin metal but if you want to drill thick stuff or stainless then they dont have the torque and will just kill bits.

How big of a work area do you have?

Wesley Ambrosini /

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> How big of a work area do you have?

Pretty big, most of my "shop" can be rolled out into the driveway so I can spread out. One thing I don't really have is table top space, so if I got a table top press I'd build a steel base for it

Tweaker trash /

It depends what your doing!

I have a harbor freight one that is perfect for drilling aluminum plate , wood , plastic, and stuff but with steel it’s not the best........ (edited)

Wesley Ambrosini /

Oh yeah I guess I should say it's basically going to be used 90% for steel / aluminum

I have a business repairing antique clocks and other oddities (e.g., that weird Trac moped I bought) and I've had exceptionally good luck with Harbor Freight's smallest and cheapest bench model.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html?_br_psugg_q=drill+press

Mine, purchased by mail in 1994, is pretty beat up by now, but still repairs clocks and smaller parts nicely. Generally they're less than $100, and they come with a nice work-light nowadays. Alignment has remained excellent over the last 26 years or so.

The only problem with mine is that the starting winding of the motor burned out in maybe 2010, so you occasionally have to give the motor a spin to start it. My guess is that they've improved the motor by now.

Remember this: it's not the tool that has to excel, it's you. Any machine tool will have limitations, and you must either work within these or arrange to do the job in another manner. Even a small drill press like this one is an exceptionally powerful and accurate tool--you'll be amazed--but you have to work with it, and work with it intelligently: it doesn't do the work. Ensure that your workpiece is clamped properly, center-punched adequately, that your drill bits are sharp and clamped firmly in the chuck, and that you keep a careful eye on the drilling process. The speed range is generally unimportant, as is the 'swing' or size of the machine.

I also have one of Harbor Freight's floor-mounted radial drill presses. It's much bigger, very accurate. Oddly enough, however, I like the familiar old semi-crippled bench machine for almost everything.

I got a cheap-o harbor freight one for a project. Used it for a bunch of holes in some steel tubing. Took it slow and kept it lubed and worked just fine. Depends on your budget I would say. I always plan to upgrade as the need arises.

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> I know this is OT but that place is a mess.

> What say you?

Thanks for making general moped discussion a mess too.

I just looked Craig's list and found a few floor mount for about $100. Your in my neck of the woods.

Pushrod Fifty /

Floor models may go down slow enough for steel drilling. Check the spec against the recommended speed for the largest drill size you will use. Look at the base to see if you can get a c clamp on it to hold the work. Many of them have ribs underneath thst make it impossible to clamp onto.

Find an old USA made one.

Patriotism really doesn't apply to tools.

Drill presses, lathes, mills, and woodworking equipment suitable for non-industrial use haven't been made in the US for many years. Delta, South Bend, and other US-sounding brands went to China long ago. Those of us who worked with US-made tools (and automobiles, and appliances, and furniture, and electronics, for that matter) during the '60's and '70's saw the drastic decline in quality. China, Japan, and Taiwan were essentially given the market, and their equipment proved superior to ours by a large margin.

Steel drills perfectly well with the inexpensive Chinese bench-top models if you aren't planning to spend the next three weeks drilling rivet holes in I-beams.

Again, recognize that every tool has limitations, and my observation is that those made in China are pretty good. So is Indian equipment. Both nations manufacture their own automobiles, submarines and aircraft, and they're not buying machine tools from us.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Many of them have ribs underneath thst make it impossible to clamp onto.

I've filled in those areas with wood . Works pretty good ...

Wesley Ambrosini /

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I know this is OT but that place is a mess.

>

> > What say you?

>

> Thanks for making general moped discussion a mess too.

Funny how that works.

I means it's going to be for fabbing moped shit

I'm going to check out a vintage craftsman tomorrow

Thanks fellas

My old drill press works fine. One thing not mentioned in the comments is find a drill press with good clamps. Ask whoever is selling it how to clamp stuff down. Most drill presses are made some dumb way that you wont get a c clamp to work with it. Also If you find a clamp that fits it make sure you buy at least 4. For example I was trying to drill new mounting holes for a sprocket. The clamp didn't fit correctly. The sprocket kept moving sideways every time i was drilling. Sometimes it flew right off the drill press.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-drill-press-locking-clamp-36221.html

This, plus a drill press vise (also available from Harbor Freight Tools and elsewhere) make life somewhat safer and lots easier when you're drilling stuff. You really don't want your work whirling through the air, which occasionally happens to me when I become too complacent.

Early craftsman will do ya right!

If you have any thoughts of using a drill press for light "milling", get an old unit as large as you can. The old stuff will take the side thrust with no issue...

Wesley Ambrosini /

I've have a bunch of c clamps, hugs, and other assorted BS so I'm not stressed on clamping. They craftsman I was looking at had like no joke a half inch of wander at the Chuck so no dice. Still looking for an oldie.

Dave Thacker /

I have a home machine shop and actually manufacture parts for vintage drill presses. For drilling metal, you want low speeds. 5 speed drill presses are crap. If it doesn't have 2 belts and 3 pulleys, kick it back. Vintage American Iron is what's cool. Atlas, Rockwell, Walker Turner and such. If you can't find some vintage American iron, then 80's imports are good. Look for made in "Tiawan", a 12 to 16 speed. Doesn't mater much which. But when you want to drill a 1/2" hole or bigger in a steel plate, you'll be able to get the speed down where you can really augur out the meat without burning up your tools.

But how often do we moped artists have to drill a half-inch hole in a heavy steel plate? Every machine tool has limitations, and it's wise to recognize these and work within them. My Harbor Freight machine does fine drilling holes in, say, angle iron, but mostly it winds up drilling less noble materials like thin-wall electrical conduit, which is very handy for braces of various sorts. The big machines are truly magnificent, but are largely unnecessary for home shop use. You'll find Asian machinery in most machine shops these days, and to an extent I regret that, but American craftsmanship essentially dropped dead in the 1960's and our machine tools reflected it. The Asians learned from our mistakes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account