Re: 1978 Carabela Moto Matic rust pile

John Konstantine /

The exhaust that you made for the Carablea is nice since it fits under the engine rail guards. If you decide to make another Carabela exhaust like that one to sell, let me know. There were "track like" versions of Carabela Moto pony formula Carabela V1 60CC that had an expansion chamber instead of the V1 pancake exhaust (see attached image).

Since you are starting to tune your Carabela, some Carabela V1 information:

Carabela V1 50cc: Standard 50cc bore (38.8mm piston) Carb Dellorto SHA 14:14L with 52 main jet & stock air cleaner. With a 10tooth front sprocket & 45tooth rear sprocket should go @ 32mph.

Carabela V1 60cc: Standard 60CC bore (42mm piston) Carb Dellorto SHA 14:14L with 56 main jet & stock air cleaner. With a 10tooth front sprocket & 45tooth rear sprocket should go @ 37mph.

In the past, I had a Carabela V1 Standard 50cc bore cylinder (38.8mm piston) that I had a local machine shop bore out to 42mm to make it a Carabela Standard 60CC bore (42mm piston). The Carabela Moto Pony uses the Carabela V1 60cc cylinder with the same 42mm piston setup.

Carabela V1/Minarelli V1 42mm 60CC piston/Rings (edited)

Carabela-Pony-formula.jpg

Those Moto Ponies are awesome. Love to find one.

Mine had a 14-12 Sha with a 52 in it. Pretty sure it was stock. Runs too lean, though.

I'm just gonna get a mikuni and weld up a manifold. Shas suck.

Although I can't get the bike running well enough to see how the pipe works, the dimensions are off for a real tuned pipe. The header length is too long, but can't really do much about it without having it stick out all over and being in the way.

I had the chamber from when I was building motorized bikes. Welded up a bunch when I was learning to weld. They're pretty sloppy, but worked good on the bikes.

If I had another chamber i'd weld one up for you, but I don't. Could probably make you the header pipe, though, and you could fit anything you wanted for the pipe.

Even the fart box didn't line up perfect. It rubbed on the dropstand spring.

Got it all dialed in finally. Solved the opposite petcock situation with some copper tube:

IMG_20200608_145656.jpg

Patina'd an ammo can for carryin' stuff:

IMG_20200608_145648.jpg

And it runs great up to 36mph:

Screenshot_20200608-145217.png

I'd like to hit at least 40, but it's not gonna happen with the Sha. Bored out to 15.5. but it accelerates pretty quick. Has an 11t up front and a 44t in back, so I'll probably get a 40 or 42.

John Konstantine /

You have your Carabela dialed in dialed in well.

In the past with 60cc 42mm piston, I have used SHA14:14, SHA15, SHA16, and Mikuni 24mm carb (Mikuni setup-ported cylinder/custom intake/high compression head/pipe/etc ...). The fastest top end & best take off was the Mikuni setup; however, it had very poor gas mileage with the Mikuni setup. With a more "stock 60CC 42mm piston" (no porting/stock head/stock intake), the SHA 15 & SHA 16 ran well; and I probably should go back to that configuration for the 60CC setup.

I still have the 10th tooth front sprocket on mine, and I should install the new 11tooth front sprocket that I have had for it for a while now.

I did order a V1 header for my Carabela, and if it does not fit between the engine & engine cradle/rails, I will follow up with you to see if you want to make another Carablea V1 header. (edited)

Got a 42t rear sprocket from pat splat and a new top speed of 38mph. Runs like a champ. Except for not having any noticeable suspension.

Screenshot_20200610-101203.png

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Mikuni and Minarelli are the best combo

but ask me about my 22 MPG

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> wait till u see the transfers

What's up with the transfers? Bigger? Smaller? 22 mpg!? Wait what? (edited)

Transfers are huge and cut further up the cylinder. Great motors to port, but have other shortcomings. The clutch is like a V1 but doesn't have the leaf springs and it's a bitch to dial it in so the starter clutch is not constantly rubbing.

Another oddball thing is some bolts are metric, some are standard.

And I get the gas mileage thing. I had a 22 mikuni on a V1 and it just drank gas...

Hey Maitland, how's your suspension? Mine doesn't move at all, front or back. And I've hit enough bumps that it woulda knocked any stuck shocks loose. This thing is full rigid.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account