SoCal (Orange County) check-in, who's here?

Emil Kniemel /

Hopefully when this quarantine is over we can maybe ride together? I know there used to be a Myron's ride years ago that ended right when I was getting into mopeds. There must be more riders now (hopefully).

I've only seen 2 other mopeds in OC in the wild in 8 years or so. One dude was riding a Tomos from La Palma to Irvine (we were both on peds so we chatted) and another old guy in Tustin on a stock green Maxi (I was in a car so missed connection).

I've met Pat, Rainier, Mike and that's about it.

Hi guys, i miss you.

Re: SoCal (Orange County) check-in, who's here?

We had a ride a month planned in and around L.A. along with bringing back weekly meetups (Cross Valley in Glendale/Burbank and Bullies/Gaskettes in L.A. proper) before the Covids struck... I bet when lockdown ends there will be a slew of new activities

i'm up in LA, but i'm buried in a project bike right now with nothin rideable

hopefully i'll see you dudes out on the road in a few months

I’m usually cruzing around Costa Mesa / Newport Beach on my 68 Ciao.

Fountain Valley/ Huntington Beach here. I got a couple extra mopeds for anyone who wants to ride to.

Emil Kniemel /

> Nile A Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Fountain Valley/ Huntington Beach here. I got a couple extra mopeds for

> anyone who wants to ride to.

Awesome I went to FVHS class of 2001.

Present

I'm in Seal Beach, still trying to get my bike reliable but hopefully ready to ride soon. One of my coworkers told me he ran into a group of guys down in Costa Mesa, is this any of you?

IMG_0302.jpg

^^ that’s the Stuart kid and his friends! I’m in OC. I’m usually blasting around downtown SA towards Costa Mesa. I wanna ride!

Emil Kniemel /

> RAIN V Wrote:

> ^^ that’s the Stuart kid and his friends! I’m in OC. I’m usually

> blasting around downtown SA towards Costa Mesa. I wanna ride!

My bike is running. Less go. LOOK AT THIS DAMN WEATHER.

Sick

Alright who is the mystery rider blasting on a kitted/piped orange ped just now in Santa Ana?

I'm in Midway City. Don't currently have a "real" moped, but I'm almost done with my custom Testi Weekend Cross. When the weather's good i hit up Derelict Donuts on Saturday mornings.

IMG_20200419_143501.jpg

Emil Kniemel /

> baird co Wrote:

> I'm in Midway City. Don't currently have a "real" moped, but I'm almost

> done with my custom Testi Weekend Cross. When the weather's good i hit

> up Derelict Donuts on Saturday mornings.

You should totally go to the OC Vintage Bike meet http://vintagebikeoc.com/home/index.php with your bike when it resumes.

I met up with Mike and Pat there once on mopeds :D

I won the very last show they had at beach burgers with my 1957 Moto Beta. And I lost with my retarded tomos chopper.

ADSC_1534.sized.jpg
DSCN6351_zps43c5be05.jpg

Drake Abrahamsson /

san clemente here! Rainier sold me a moped about a year ago, thanks dude! I also have seen a few different mopeds outside of Daydream Surf Shop in Newport, not sure if they’re on here

The OC vintage bike meet for May is cancelled. June is tentative.

Donut Derelicts looks like it's starting to go off again. I might go next Saturday, with a mask. Some of those old guys love to get right in your face.

Emil Kniemel /

> baird co Wrote:

> The OC vintage bike meet for May is cancelled. June is tentative.

>

> Donut Derelicts looks like it's starting to go off again. I might go

> next Saturday, with a mask. Some of those old guys love to get right in

> your face.

What's donut derelicts? Informal meetup or name of a group?

Donut shop on magnolia and Adams in Huntington Beach. Every Saturday from dawn til about 8am there's a car show.

Longest running car show in southern California.

Free, just a parking lot fulla old cars, and a few bikes. And good donuts.

Emil Kniemel /

> baird co Wrote:

> Donut shop on magnolia and Adams in Huntington Beach. Every Saturday

> from dawn til about 8am there's a car show.

>

> Longest running car show in southern California.

>

> Free, just a parking lot fulla old cars, and a few bikes. And good

> donuts.

Hmm. Morning donut moped meetup? Possibly. Adams is a nice street to take. Actually Warner runs from my house all the way to Magnolia...

I live 4 signals down from the Donut Derelics, I've known the Peters family, (owners of the Doughnut shop) since kindergarten, On weekends while in high school, we would after party at the doughnut shop there where the older brother Luke would be prepping and making doughnuts for the morning, let me tell you, we would totally be intoxifaded, and just help your self to batches of fresh doughnuts out of the oven or fryer, there is nothing like plowing 4 dough nuts and not even realizing it. Hands down best doughnuts. Mrs. Peters was very insistent on using high quality flour and ingredients for the recipes. She owns the christian bookshop as well on Magnolia and Garfield. The last time I went to the car show on a moped was like 6 years ago, I rode my blue Puch Maxi and I felt totally indifferent the moment I got there. The motor wasnt even on, I was pedaling through to get to the doughnut shop, grab a coffee and walk around a bit, and just going through those guys they were just giving off a negative vibe and I was getting looks like,

" Your seriously riding a moped, a grown man" It was whatever, It's like, whats the difference, I'm just out for a ride like these other adults on their Chinese beach cruisers. My Blue Puch is glowing, it's got way better paint than those junk Beach cruisers and some of the cars in here to, lol. Things have changed since then though, If i ever do ride to the store or something, people and especially high school aged kids, seem to love that blue Puch with the M bars. Donut Derelics would be cool to check out with some other people on mopeds. ill come through with a totally mint Garelli vip 2 sp deluxe with 107 miles, its super buttery, or a murdered out Le Moped if its done in time

Now the old guys are more into it. I know some people who come down with whizzers and custom Briggs and Stratton motorized bikes. Cool stuff, not the Chinese kits.

I don't really care about the cars. I'll do a quick walk thru, check out the quirky ones, like Honda 600s or something, and then I just stand around like an idiot and answer questions about my bike.

Mostly in it just for the ride. It's always so friggen early, though.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account