Cimatti gran prix xl

Hello, new here. I just picked up a 1978 cimatti grand prix xl moped from a neighbor for $25. I'm completely new to mopeds and had some questions I hoped someone could help with.

1. Any manuals for my moped? ('78 cimatti grand prix xl)

2. Any general riding guides (stuff like starting a moped, how to fuel a two-stroke engine, what all the general switches and buttons do, etc.)

I would appreciate any help as I'm a total rookie. Stuff on Youtube hasn't helped much, on the fundamentals at least, so if anyone could link me to good videos that would be much appreciated too. Thanks in advance!! (pic isn't my bike, mine's a lot rattier, but same make/model/year)

cimatti.jpg

Re: Cimatti gran prix xl

wha-

only twenty. five. american. dollars?!?!

giphy-50.gif

welcome!

(EDIT: i thought THAT was your bike you snagged.) (edited)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The good news is you got a rare bike for cheap that uses a very common engine! Mineralli V1's are one of the best built moped engines and stuff is pretty common. Ill let others chime in but nice score! Post some pics up so we can see.

Also, Treatland.tv is your best place to get parts.

Pushrod Fifty /

Once in a lifetime score in the moped realm.

Emil Kniemel /

Not specific to your moped but you will probably find these videos helpful:

Thanks for all the help! Here's some pics of her!

I tried starting with no luck. I ordered a deep impact socket wrench and a new NGK B6HS spark plug and try starting again. The clutch is barely moving when I try kicking the thing over, I'm guessing that means new clutch? Or is it something else?

20200413_152211.jpg
20200413_152224.jpg
20200413_152258.jpg

when I say "clutch" i guess i mean flywheel? Its the black "fan" thing on the left side of the engine. That's barely moving when I kick the bike over.

That is the flywheel. Try adjusting the clutch on the right side of the motor, opposite the flywheel. You'll see the clutch arm moving when you pull the starter clutch lever. Also you got a killer deal. Keep that bike forever, cause you'll never find another for that price

$25 wow if anyone wants to pass a deal like this on to me I'm right here.

Check out Fred's guide in the wiki. Make sure you use fresh pre-mix, and set the choke before trying to start, have you checked for spark?

I have a deep socket wrench and a new plug coming to check for spark. The choke lever clicks into place when it's perpendicular to the ground and I can't move it back to parallel to the ground, so is the perpendicular position "set"?

on that Choke you engage it and the throttle disengages it when you open it all the way.

You also cant "kick start this engine" you have to pedal it at first until you get it nice and tuned then you can kick it over.

So if this engine didn't pass the thumb test (which I plan on doing when the socket comes) I shouldn't worry since it can't be kick started?

The clutch adjustment is almost definitely part of the problem. You can kickstart a V1. Your clutch is likely not adjusted correctly. Remove your right side cover, you'll see the clutch arm that moves when you pull the clutch lever. Tighten the cable by loosening the clutch arm, pulling more cable through (or moving the clutch arm up the cable slightly) and retightening

What makes this bike so rare? It's an Italian top tank bike. Didn't realize it was rare? Alot of minarelli powered top tanks out there.

Ok I think I understand. Thanks a bunch. I assume the clutch lever is the one that is below the brake lever on the left of the bike, right? Does that act like the clutch pedal in a stick transmission car? When should I press it? Should I press it while I kickstart? (edited)

> Jamie R Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok I think I understand. Thanks a bunch. I assume the clutch lever is

> the one that is below the brake lever on the left of the bike, right?

> Does that act like the clutch pedal in a stick transmission car? When

> should I press it? Should I press it while I kickstart?

No, the lever itself nothing like the clutch in a car or motorcycle ironically. It engages the clutch, engaging the engine to the wheel directly. The clutch is disengaged when the bike isn't running/at low engine RPMS. You should pull the lever as you pedal the bike. It helps to get the pedal moving a little bit before pulling the lever, if that makes sense. You should definitely be able to pedal it while pulling the lever, though

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> What makes this bike so rare? It's an Italian top tank bike. Didn't

> realize it was rare? Alot of minarelli powered top tanks out there.

It's rare in the same way that Safari top tanks are rare

So to be clear, I can (with the engine switched on and the ignition key turned) pedal it, press the clutch lever and it'll start (assuming everything is in working order)? Or I could kickstart it by doing the same thing while it's propped up on the stand?

> Jamie R Wrote:

> So to be clear, I can (with the engine switched on and the ignition key

> turned) pedal it, press the clutch lever and it'll start (assuming

> everything is in working order)? Or I could kickstart it by doing the

> same thing while it's propped up on the stand?

Correct. What ignition key? That's probably aftermarket unless the top tanks came with keyed ignitions. Could be of concern if the PO did a bad wiring job

Here's a pic of the key. I'm not sure if it's OEM or not

20200413_152233.jpg

Seems like the speedo + key is and OEM part based on google images. Some don't have the speedo/key "cluster" thing altogether

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 11.15.38 PM.png

Yep that's OEM, cool. Vespa Grandes had the same setup

Luke Stroehlein /

Wow great find! I'll give you $50 for it. Jokes aside I'm looking forward to seeing this thing cleaned up!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account