Moped Identification please help

Daniel San Julian /

Hi my name is Daniel, I am new to mopeds and engines in general, I have a Puch Maxi that has been sitting and I'm not sure which model Maxi, if anyone could help me identify so I could begin some repair and research I'd greatly appreciate it!

It was manufactured in 10/76 according to the stamp and the serial number is 8442505. The speedometer says a maximum of 30mph.

Re: Moped Identification please help

August Adams-Miller /

post a photo if you can

Rand Jacobson /

A picture will go a lot further than the year and vin number. Model doesn't matter a ton as long as the sticker says 1.5 or 2 hp. If it says 1hp it's not a big deal but it will always be slow until you swap out the cylinder.

You also need to determine which engine it is. E50 or ZA50. If it's a za50 it will say PUCH real large on the side of the engine.

Daniel San Julian /

I have included a basic image here

IMG_7797.jpg

That's an e50 motor. You can tell what horsepower rating you had based on the numbers stamped into the carburetor and cross-referencing the moped wiki page about Bing carburetors

Daniel San Julian /

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it!

No problem, it's worth noting that you have a pretty early model based on the handlebar design. You might want to convert to the standard handlebar setup if you decide to ride this bike regularly.

Daniel San Julian /

Thank you that's good to know, what would converting to the standard setup consist of?

Daniel San Julian /

Also if you happen to know by any chance, the last I had worked with it a little it was not sparking, and the plug is definitely wet, would you know how to fix this?

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_handlebar_repair : "get a handlebar, clamps and the triple tree top plate from a newer Puch and change over to this system. Sometimes Treats has all of the required bits"

You'll probably just need to file the points to get spark. Buy a points file from an autoparts store for like $3, and file em. You can look up videos on youtube if you're unsure what to do. Finally, read Fred's Guide, it even has a section on how to file points: https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide (edited)

Start searching the wiki. It will help you with in depth explanations. Start with a new plug, then pull the plug boot and see if you get spark from the wire. Check your points, set the gap and clean them... Those are easy things to start with.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account