Switching to Zoom electric moped, surprisingly good

Hi guys, just sharing my new experience with an electric moped from Zoom USA electric mopeds i just got about 2 months ago.

Had a gas 49cc moped for a long time and loved it. And i had always doubted electric ones. but my friend got an electric one and told me to try it out. fell in love the first time i tried it especially because of the gratification from the instant torque from the electric motor and also the smoothness! so i bought a brand new one also for less than $1900 with free shipping.

Also, even though gas mopeds are awesome but they required quite a bit more regular maintenance than electric ones. and the smoothness and quietness are also great for daily riding. i guess i just need to change the tires on the electric one, no more spark plugs and oil changes! and it always starts up.

on average i get about 50 miles per charge, which is quite enough for 1 week of my commute. i just plug it in overnight, and it will be fully charged in the morning, no more filling up at gas stations, even more saving. top speed is about 35, which is sufficient for me for city commute.

Anyway, just sharing my experience. take good care and stay healthy!

Zoom in Vegas.jpg

Re: Switching to Zoom electric moped, surprisingly good

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I suspect you had a gas scooter, not a traditional moped. Apples and oranges comparison.

Neat bike, but it is a scooter, not a moped. Do you have to plate and insure it? Link to the company?

So it's comparable performance wise to a Chinese 49cc 4t scooter but costs three times as much?

I had a gas moped with pedals. now this new electric one is without pedals, but i didn't use my pedals on the mopeds anyway.

In California, i was told by dmv agents that you don't registration. yea sure, this is the link zoomescooters.com

the acceleration and torque are much better than a 49cc, should be comparable to a 100cc or more. also, way more reliable than my old gas one. this electric one starts up instantly everytime, no hassle..

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

What brand moped was it?

> Ken B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I had a gas moped with pedals. now this new electric one is without

> pedals, but i didn't use my pedals on the mopeds anyway.

i think it was a Yamaha or similar gas moped i had before.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The only moped with pedals that Yamaha made was the Chappy. The rest were nopeds. I find it interesting that you don’t know exactly what brand moped you had.

yea, because it was quite old given to me by a friend, i thought it was either a honda or yamaha. the markings were almost gone. i think it was built in the 80's or so. (edited)

Does anyone else smell blatant advertising here

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I also find it interesting that the guy just happens to live 20 minutes from where the company is headquartered.

Pushrod Fifty /

Pulled right of the loading dock in the darkness of night...

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

1) Yes the Zoom is an electric moped by at least CA state laws, and many others.

2) This appears to be a company that either had a prior arrangement with NIU electric scooters before they were allowed to sell in USA, or this is a Chinese knock off of a well known Chinese product.

Top speed is roughly around 30, and if it is a NIU, for the most part it does the job and you just need to keep up on the minor maintainence things (handlebar controls kind of crappy, may break, cables should be lubed more often, etc..)

Yes, i lived close to this company in Los Angeles, where many scooter companies are based.

One improvement i wish they can make is to make the throttle response more gradual, coz it may be too strong or sensitive for some newer riders, even though it has 3 power settings, guess some people like it more instant.

and the electric horn is kind of too loud for my taste.

Pushrod Fifty /

There is a pretty cool moped style one, does 60 mph, but Chinese quality, one day it will just stop dead and that's the end.

Old mopeds are fun to work on and test the brain to figure out the issues, always fixable. Most of the time you can limp it home, but with electric, its dead and you are stuck.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

no, just like with mopeds its usually something dumb

loose bolt on a terminal, loose wiring, etc..

electricity is not scary.

No doubts mopeds are super fun to work on.

i think my Zoom was built in the US actually. it has been quite reliable actually.

Pushrod Fifty /

You can tell by the first letter of the VIN.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Maitlanf Of the Loin Wrote:

> electricity is not scary.

> Maitlanf Of the Loin Wrote:

>

> electricity is not scary.

Tell that to Lineman.

gas or electric.. cough cough ..says scooter right on the side of it in the pic..

just sayin..

Probably Fred /

> river 2strokes Wrote:

> gas or electric.. cough cough ..says scooter right on the side of it in

> the pic..

>

> just sayin..

No need to apologize for its a pricy, ugly ass, tiny wheel pot hole diving, plastic crap electric scooter not a wonderful vintage gas 2-stroke engine power moped that is timeless:

7D0AE05A-3888-411C-90B7-54BBF7FEAAD6.jpeg

Moped army is based on the mission statement which ugly ass pot wheel diving, plastic electric scooters does not apply to:

CBD6F39F-81CE-4E51-B7D6-634CCCEF46BB.jpeg

Apples and oranges to what vintage real euro mopeds look like:

7E4F01B9-7A6F-4E83-8953-0732E3349026.jpeg

If posted on off topic its fine but on general moped forum it’s not a vintage 2-cycle moped in any shape or form Sorry :(

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I love how fake this is... claims working on mopeds is fun but cant remember what brand moped he even had... How do you work on something if you dont even know what brand it is? Where did you get parts, the generic moped store? I

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> The only moped with pedals that Yamaha made was the Chappy. The rest

> were nopeds. I find it interesting that you don’t know exactly what

> brand moped you had.

Right, and one would have to know what it was in order to repair or replace parts on it. No one ever stops to think about the meaning or origins of words and terms any more. Moped = MOtorized PEDal bike. Ken, testify. (edited)

Re: Swittching to Zoom electric moped, surprisingly good

The confusion comes from the state classing vehicles of certain performance specs as a moped vs. The technical definition.

Someone post that old Jim Reese quote...

I wouldn't ride that if they gave it to me, Id sell it and get parts for my old mopeds.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account