Suzuki fa50 timing

So I’ve got a 1986 fa50 I’ve been working on and I’m almost done. I’ve put the parmakit, a vm18 carb, the malossi clutch springs, Vm18 intake I enlarged the intake, the only that I’m worried about before the first start is making sure the timing is rite. So I’ll attach a pic of the curve From the Suzuki fa50 pei/cdi and I would like to know how to go about timing this thing ? any suggestions welcomed thanks

F3C7020E-0ABD-4065-8930-F8AE74886F79.png

Re: Suzuki fa50 timing

Why not start with stock timing ?

The only thing you changed is the amount of displacement via going bigger around , not the length of the rod .

I’ll try today. Bit the Suzuki has a cast iron jug the kit I have is aluminum and don’t want it overheating. Plus I’ve read if you kit your bike stock timing is no good for temps.

Pushrod Fifty /

Aluminum is better, it expands along with the piston, cast iron doesn't expand as much, so the piston clearance ends up decreasing when hot.

I did turn it on a day ago Set the carb and rode it for about 10 minutes. I have a 85 jet in there now I’ll be up jetting to a 90 soon just to be safe side while breaking the kit in. Also I didn’t mention I also have boyesen reeds and I did bore out the reed valve intake. Also my stock cylinders top speed is 38mph on any flat land of course I did work to it nothing crazy and at the cost of the low end and that’s the reason I got this kit .It never seized plus my son weighs 225lbs big kid I’ll be putting that cylinder on another fa50 when I find it. I’m still going to retard the timing and see what happens. (edited)

Keep us posted . ;)

So the Suzuki runs great. I tried to retard but found that it rides great with stock timing. I hit 42 mph you ride it all day and the temps never spike over 300 degrees. That’s with the stock head. This build is turning out great. I bought another stock head from treats and I plan on putting on after I cut out a 70cc squish.my first attempt wish me luck.

image.jpg

Sounds like it's coming along nicely .

I have to ask : Why the front half of the fenders removed ?

I cut it off to make it different and stand out.

It's an antique . It doesn't need any help standing out or being different .

how do you bore the reed valve intake? and should i advance or retard the timing when adding the 60cc kit

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

you will run hotter with the cut down head so mind your jetting when you do. If the color is good at 85, no need to go up now, but once new head is on I would go to 90 and see where your temps land

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account