Homemade cooling duct for Peugeot 103

Mitchell Hoover /

Hello, this is just a writeup on how I made my cooling system for my 103. Im not sure how effective it is, but im sure it will do something. (Haven’t tested yet) started out with a cardboard skeleton and slapped fiberglass onto it and created the duct, smothed it up with bondo and painted it. Used truck bed liner for the side that is facing the wheel (obvious reasons). I then needed something flexible but wouldn’t collapse when bent, used this 4” dryer hose and cut and sewed a shroud for it protecting it from water and debris. Then got another dryer thing for the intake between the forks. Used plastic car fasteners for mounting and used the eyelets under my tank to mount the duct in place. Currently it is zip-tied to the eyelets (look at picture to understand) as a mount. Stay safe out there!

D39EC8E6-7C03-4BF6-AF2E-F860EBB0F98B.jpeg
79A51841-699F-4D81-B543-C66C0D123401.jpeg
B10DFFEA-3BB1-4870-B379-087EBE5E2605.jpeg

Re: Homemade cooling duct for Peugeot 103

Mitchell Hoover /

Sorry, the pics are out of order.

49FEAB1D-D749-4D97-9F9B-0CFDE5D83BBA.jpeg
B548C70C-1AD6-48CC-B95E-3466A1961D82.jpeg
C5449D9D-8361-4453-A544-BFE00FAC0351.jpeg

Mitchell Hoover /

E5FDE930-2BEF-46D6-A309-120996774E89.jpeg
433DB9B1-8B43-4E86-B5BD-C80B51B6C817.jpeg
8E75F682-DCC6-46B6-B5D5-F232E8DD800E.jpeg

Mitchell Hoover /
6D62C2C2-59D7-4DEF-9F4A-6BCC18BCBF57.jpeg

heres how I mount it.

AD420E9D-E1D3-40CC-A6DB-2FB2FA741B4C.jpeg
E95FCDA8-EFCA-437E-9845-59BE7A56DA9C.jpeg

That looks pretty dang good

Cool, not sure how much it'll do but it's a good idea. Interesting experiment

Mitchell Hoover /

Thanks alot! It was a first time for fiberglass and everything.

Mitchell Hoover /

Not sure either! But it was fun to make, ill post my results after the rain passes.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Wow, nice job! If you really want to see if it works, do a few long WOT runs with a temperature gauge and record the average of your max temps. Then repeat with the cooling duct and see if it lowered temps.

wow

good job

Is the reasoning behind this that the front wheel blocks a lot of the direct airflow to the engine?

Dirty30 Dillon /

The Peacewarriors/Upjet Pinball team ran a similar thing on their Derbi and claimed that it worked pretty good when they were trucking through the desert.

Good you're trying stuff . We need more of that . ;)

Maybe a bit too much material , but , if it helps , great .

If you want more air into that duct , make some scoops for the 'face' plate .

Cooling could also be accomplished by placing directional scoops above the head that dump directly on the head . Similar to how Yamaha set up my XT350 :

Mitchell Hoover /

Thank you all for your inputs and helpful advice, ill definitely test it and possibly make more ducts.

Juleon Cotillon /

> Mitchell Hoover Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you all for your inputs and helpful advice, ill definitely test it

> and possibly make more ducts.

Make me one dog, we can definitely test out the possibilities on the hill

Mitchell Hoover /

Yes poppa. <3

Hey next time you make a mold out of cardboard wrap it in clear packing tape and spray dollar store hairspray on it. It acts as a release agent. Or you can wax it with turtle paste wax. Do a few coats. Wont have all the cardboard stuck to the final product and the inside will be smooth as glass. (edited)

Mitchell Hoover /

Will do! Thank you!

Cool idea. I think you might get more airflow if you ditch the flexy tube part and open the front of the box, flare the sides out like the xt350 maybe?

Looking at this thread I decided I would try to make some of those side flares for airflow like on the dirtbike. I have a bunch of fiberglass and resin sitting in the garage and made a mold out of cardboard and covered the cardboard in wax paper so it wouldn't stick and I can just peel them apart. Just gotta figure out how to mount them.

20200411_193454.jpg

Meant to add more pictures, here they are out of the mold. Need to let them cure some more before I can trim, clean, and paint them. Not sure how much airflow it will really add but it was something fun to do while I wait for a new head to arrive.

20200411_211255.jpg

Any added air flow would be a plus . ;)

Did you use epoxy or resin?

Not sure if you were asking me, but I used polyester resin. I have about 10 gallons of this stuff at home for glassing surfboards and I really hate working with epoxy. I used about 6 layers of 6oz woven fiberglass scraps for the glass itself. I just cleaned it up to shape, gave it a rough sanding, and hit it with some black spray paint. If they actually work I'll make a better mold and take some more time glassing and sanding them.

Don't mean to highjack this thread, just thought it was a cool idea and wanted to try something similar.

20200412_154023.jpg
20200412_161547.jpg

Just asking about poly or epoxy because epoxy is very toxic. I worked in the composite industry for many years and had to quit being around it because I got sensitized to epoxy. I had a good job and had to completely exit stage left from it. Was getting rashes and was only time before it could affect my respiratory system. I had my lips completely swell up and poison ivy type reaction on my skin. It's not that you may become allergic but it's a matter of time you are exposed. Could be a week or 10 years. Always wear a respirator and gloves when using epoxy. Look it up on the web. It sucks! Especially when your career depends on it. Polyester is alot safer but it is also a carcinogen so just be safe when using it. A charcoal filter should be worn. Good luck finding any with the pandemic. Just have good air flow in the space you are working in and you should be fine. Just a little educational moment for you. Stay safe (edited)

Mitchell Hoover /

Thinking of that too!

I've heard about the sensitization to epoxy before, met a couple surfboard shapers who can't work with it anymore. I worked in the surfboard shaping industry for a bit and it seems like most people treat epoxy like its virtually harmless while poly everyone is wearing full respirators (which they should.) I have some VOC filters for my respirator stocked up. Another thing with epoxy is that you shouldn't use acetone to wipe it off your skin, it'll dissolve it into your bloodstream and you can actually taste it.

I make fins for my surfboards by laminating about 40 layers of fiberglass with poly and then cutting and sanding them down to a nice foil and I honestly can't think of much worse for you health besides a coal miner. Your dealing with the resin and then when you sand it your sending tons of tiny bits of fiberglass everywhere, my clothes turn completely white when I'm done with one fin.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account