Has anyone purchased this pack from treats before?

Mason Campbell /

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-party-supreme-p/puch-treat-party-supreme.htm

Just bought a 1977 Puch Newport and need some advice. Have never owned or worked on any puch ever.

Was hoping someone out there has purchased this pack before. Doing some reading on the kit, it sounds like you need a larger needle bearing or the piston will walk on you. There are quite a few people in the reviews talking about puking circlips and wrist pins. But it sounds like it could be due to weak circlips and poor fit in the needle bearing.

Any insight would be sweet. Thanks.

Re: Has anyone purchased this pack from treats before?

I had this same setup minus the Mikuni, and had a 3 shoe clutch with blue springs on my old Maxi. It ripped.

Mason Campbell /

So no issues with proper fitting of the wrist pin? Didn’t need to buy a new needle bearing or any of that crap? Cause it sounds like a good deal to me.

I never had an issue with the wrist pins,circlips or the needle bearings. I guess people just got an iffy batch at one time. All I've ran on my puch's have been treats kits and they've always been solid. Go for it if you feel, instead of a Mikuni 20mm, I ran a Dellorto 19mm PHBG.

Mason Campbell /

Yea I like the 19 PHGBs, but I’ll probably just try out the mikuni that comes with the kit first.

On a side note, you ever run the SHA 15.15? Currently running it on my Sparta buddy. It’s doggin on me right now. Waiting on a jet kit from treats. Power band is weak for like 10-15 mph. Just sounds like it’s flooding

Yeah, the Mikuni's a great carb. I've ran the 15.15 SHA's before but I have no experience with Sparta/sachs bikes, can't help you with that one.

Mason Campbell /

Gotcha, did you ever find the SHA 15.15 limiting you in any way?

Dirty30 Dillon /

15.15. Sha is a standard upgrade carb for so many bikes, there are no real limitations other than the facts that it's a single jet, no needle metering carb. It's a tried and tried mild upgrade.

I would suggest buying the correct size needle bearing for the 45mm kits, it's an extra $12~ for piece of mind.

Not all at all, it's just a simple carb, I'm running a 16mm SHA on the Maxi I have now. Not as technical as a PHBG where you can dial everything in perfectly.

Not sure if you have any tuning experience with mikuni or similar carbs. They can take some time to get running well. A 15.15 or 16.16 is an easy way to get a decent tune and only have to mess with one jet. Wont rip like a larger multi jet carb but good for the beginner and also daily riding. I prefer them because I'm lazy. (edited)

Are you saying that you never jetted the Sha? It's a universal carb, it doesn't come set up for your bike.

Mason Campbell /

Yea, I wish it had more versatility. It's what was recommended from a buddy of mine cause I had to buy the MLM side facing intake for angled port on my kit. It has a small ID and the SHA had the most feedback of the carbs I could find that would fit with having to buy shims and hope I got the fit right. Maybe I'll find a good replacement at a later date.

Mason Campbell /

No I jetted it, but the jet sizes I ordered ended up being a bit too big. I definitely overestimated. Currently waiting on 58-68 sizes to come in on Monday. Made the mistake of thinking I would have to really increase fuel flow with the larger kit. Oops.

Well, you seem to know enough to make your own decision if you want this setup or not.

Mason Campbell /

Haha I think I know some. But I have never worked on a Puch. Always been out of my price range. And sfter reading some reviews on the treat kit throwing the circlips and wristpins I needed to hear from others with a first hand account. And that clutch setup sounds legit. I'll have to look into that.

Mason Campbell /

Thanks for the tip. Any idea where I can find what size that should be?

Also have you ever run into having to turn your idle screw damn near all the way in just to get a proper idle on the SHA 15.15? Since it's single jet, will changing the main jet effect my idle?

Mason Campbell /

Yea I may have to upgrade at some point. I kind of want the flexibility to tune it better.

If you have to run with your idle screw all the way in, you have a bad air leak somewhere.

Mason Campbell /

Hmmmm it would have to be the intake then right? I mean where else would there be an air leak to effect my idling?

intake, cylinder, head, carb to intake.

Mason Campbell /

Well I did buy someone else project. I’ll go back through and check the gaskets. Cause it dogs out at full throttle from like 10-15mph. Then it hits it powerband. With no tuning it’s hitting close to 40mph. It’s my first Sachs engine so I’m not so sure on the tuning side of things. I’ve always worked with Mobys.

I don't know man, just start a thread in the gen or repair forums about your problems with sachs engines.

Mason Campbell /

Appreciate the tips man

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account